other software issue

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Mr Jerry Twig

Hi,
Im sure ye all know Geeks toy had issues with the api yesterday. I have seen on twitter that betfair have said that if it was an error at their end they would take responsibity for it, which it seems it was an issue with betfair. Im not sure exactly what happened but it seems that users who were hedging their bets looked like it had worked on the software but had not with betfair.
Im just wondering has anything like this happened before with BA and if so did people who were affected get their money back?
Also does everyone have befair website open along with the software to make sure that bets are hedging?
Just wondering as I usually keep an eye only on the software, I do have betfair website open on a different device but thats only for an emergency like if internet or power goes down.
Euler

It's extremely rare to see any issues with Bet Angel, but we do work really hard to make sure there are none. We use it pretty much 24/7, so pick up on things really quickly if there are issues.

If Betfair experience issues that would affect your use of the exchange or the software, we will alert everybody as quickly as possible via the forum or twitter.
LinusP

I am really intrigued as to what caused this, what is the other software doing differently to BetAngel when closing trades?
spreadbetting

Seems specific to one software package only so they're obviously doing something different as none of the other software providers had problems. Betfair seem t have taken responsibility though and rolled back the API update
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

LinusP wrote:I am really intrigued as to what caused this, what is the other software doing differently to BetAngel when closing trades?
According to betfair, it was because the other software used listMarketBook to gather matched bet information. We've never used that call for bet information because in the early days of API-NG development we found that it didn't scale well and hurt the overall performance of the software. For that reason we were completely unaffected by yesterday's roll-out and roll-back.
Wainwright

@BetAngel - were you aware that there was going to be an API-affecting release yesterday ?

- although BA wasn't affected, it could easily have been if the problem had been elsewhere in the API.

Warning users after people have already lost money really isn't good enough - I'm sure there are plenty of automation users who wouldn't find out until far too late.

Betfair should let API vendors/developers know in advance of every release, then they can at least be forewarned, perform some sanity checking and hopefully avert a disaster (releases that break the API should never make it as far as production anyway of course, but clearly this one did).

It seems that some users of the other software lost quite a lot of money - having admitted liability (rightly, by the sounds of it), it will be interesting to see how Betfair now handle this.
Euler

I've lost lots of money through Betfair induced faults and never had a penny refunded. I would be surprised if anything is forthcoming. T&C's say everything is done at your own risk, so I work on that basis.

One advantage you have as a Bet Angel user is if you get shafted I'll be shafted as well, so we are always on the lookout for problems that could affect Bet Angel users. We have stamped on many problems that you have never seen as we flag or resolve them before anybody becomes aware.

It's always possible though, so we will always be on the look-out for problems. The Betfair down thread is useful to check on potential Betfair issues.
SeaHorseRacing

Euler wrote:I've lost lots of money through Betfair induced faults and never had a penny refunded. I would be surprised if anything is forthcoming. T&C's say everything is done at your own risk, so I work on that basis.

One advantage you have as a Bet Angel user is if you get shafted I'll be shafted as well, so we are always on the lookout for problems that could affect Bet Angel users. We have stamped on many problems that you have never seen as we flag or resolve them before anybody becomes aware.

It's always possible though, so we will always be on the look-out for problems. The Betfair down thread is useful to check on potential Betfair issues.
Abraquay

I had a bot running on this day. I was watching it. The screen must have froze for at least 20-30 secs. There was no odds movement whatsover. Then the bot seemed to kick back in again and i was in the red.
PDC

Euler wrote:I've lost lots of money through Betfair induced faults and never had a penny refunded. I would be surprised if anything is forthcoming. T&C's say everything is done at your own risk, so I work on that basis.
All losses were refunded, by way of a goodwill payment of in at least some cases double what was lost.

https://twitter.com/m1ghty_fr33m4n/stat ... 0228225024
Euler

Which begs the question of why then there have been technical faults before there have been no refunds?
to75ne

when it crashes next time will they refund if i am caught on the wrong side? or debit my account if i gain from being on the right side?
surely a technical fault must cover all failures their end?
Euler

Free for all by the sound of it on the next error.

Return to “Betfair exchange”