General Advice for all newbies

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Black Ice

Having done this lark for coming up for two years and not having cracked it yet..IMO it is about the type of brain that you are born with. Have been reading a lot recently about Bletchley Park (for any young Newbies who know nothing about it..they were the codebreakers who basically won us the last WW. If they hadn't broken the Enigma & Tunney codes and therefore we were able to find and beat the German U Boats..GB would have been starved into submission and we would all be in a very different place now. These were brilliant men..but they weren't just any old brilliant men...they were types for example who loved & were brilliant at: Crosswords...I hate them! They would probably have been brilliant at QI...i hate quizzes!! To a much lesser degree i think the folk who crack this pre-race specifically; have a special type of brain...You probably love graphs/figures/stats/good at maths..etc etc..(i hated & was no good at maths at School)..as you aren't actually dealing with horses at all are you..we are simply watching ladders/numbers/graphs aren't we? On the other hand if you choose a sport you understand..footie/tennis for example..you are dealing with human beings...and the majority of us get to be pretty good at reading body language/energy levels/an individuals or teams 'sense of direction'..we 'get' other humans behaviour. Maybe there is a clue there? Having said all that...having no special talent for anything...i have over a lifetime become reasonably competent at most things i tackled: race-riding/riding a racehorse/playing tennis/fencing..even running my own Company as a sole trader for 15 years. So i am still plugging away at pre-race..and have started on tennis...and hope to become reasonably competent at both. This post may cause a storm of protest...but there U go...just thought i would put down my 10p worth!! :) Oh & BTW: BIG tip of the hat to Dallas...would not be anywhere near where i am on trading without his advice on this forum!
Korattt

I read Adam Heathcote's blog over & over until one particular post stood out, semi automated something on it a helped bundles
Black Ice

Very many thanks for the tip Korattt..it will not be wasted on me! :)
welshboy06

Korattt wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 pm
ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:38 pm
Dave C wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 pm
alluding that trading is a mythical skill akin to Sorcery or something so complex that you need a degree in Probability and Statistics.
This "feel" is pure intuition - but people mistake it for sorcery - it's not. Intuition is based on pure falsifiable edges. Like stabilisers being removed from a bike. You have simply outgrown them

Funny you say that, was trading on the laptop last Friday night instead of my screens, hardly looked at a graph due to limited screen space & did rather well, it actually felt as if I instigated a couple of moves but that must've been a coincidence, maybe I got on just at the right time..
I'm still a novice and have yet to hit a run of steady profits, but I find that just using the ladders, and the data on offer from the ladders, I do better. Trying to use graphs etc... I find actually makes me a worse trader. Not sure if its because there's so much data on offer, or if it's something else :S

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”