Politically Correct Madness

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
jimibt

so if milk costs £1 these days, just how much is a loaf of bread??
Dublin_Flyer

Dallas wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 am
What worries me the most about them is what they can be use for in the wrong hands, i think its only a matter of time before they get used as cheap flying bombs
Dallas is on the ball here. I'm a chemical technician nearly 20 years now and explosives/chemical weapons is the main risk of drones in my view.
The airline ban on liquids over 100ml made me laugh when it was brought in, I used to work with a chemical that would need a factory evacuation if 1 capful of about 8ml was spilt on the floor. 10ml spilt would cause a plane to have an emergency landing before the crew passed out, oxygen masks would be useless to stop the pilots eyes burning.

It's a toxic corrosive lachrymator (burns eyes, throat and nose, causes tears) chemically similar to tear gas only more potent, which I won't name publicly for obvious reasons.

If a drone was loaded up with a similar substance and flown into a crowd at a football match, or synchronised attacks say at 3.10pm at all Premier League home grounds on the first day of the season, the number of fatalities from the ensuing panic/crush/rush to the exits, would make 9/11 look like a happy Disney fairy tale.

The government doesn't give a toss if you're a perv with a drone, they give a toss if you're a lunatic with a drone and the ability to fly a pound of high explosives into a crowded area during a national televised event causing nationwide panic and chaos. Restrictions on drones are needed because it's highly possible that one of the next major terrorist attacks will involve their use.
ruthlessimon

If a license is denied because that person has a motive to use it as a weapon/bomb; they should already be locked up & be flown far away from the UK!
BetScalper

They are not talking about applying for a licence with ensuing background checks etc.

1. When you buy one you have to provide photo ID so they can put your details onto a national register. They still haven't decided if you need to provide a flying type test certificate before you buy and/or before you use it.
2. They still don't know how to enforce it if you already own one prior to the law change. Can of worms this one.
3. Because we are still a member of the EU and customs union they don't know how they are going to prevent someone from ordering one from another EU country and therefore bypassing UK registration.

Obviously, I guess most GOOD citizens will willingly send their details off to be put on the national register and/or apply for and pass the air safety certificate if they already have a Done in their possession etc.

However, i very much doubt it is going to stop the existing idiots, pervs, nutters or terrorists from doing something with one they already own or can get via another EU country.

It's a bit like blocking the sale of certain acids unless you provide photo ID or some kind of licence. I am no chemical expert but I think the acid used in car batteries is rather nasty in the wrong hands. And they are freely available.

Look at gun crime since the tightening of UK Firearm Laws in 1984 and 1997. Has it gone down. Hell no, its gone up every year since. Why ?, because they are smuggled in from the EU via a number of routes. Three people caught this year had 146 pistols when stopped. During their trial it became apparent that they had made the same journey 8 times previously before being caught. That's potentially allot of firearms in the wrong hands.

Whatever you ban or restrict, people, often driven by money, by their very nature, will always find a way...
vankancisco

Gun related statistics can often be misleading, but there's a general consensus that gun controls have worked. Recent years have seen gun killings drop by as much as 66% compared to that of 20 years ago. It's quite interesting to analyse the difference in attitudes between the US and UK. The US reaction to a tragedy such as Dunblane would be to arm teachers and staff, whilst the UK decided on banning handguns. There have been no school massacres since in the UK - it's basic common sense.
spreadbetting

People don't like common sense, vankancisco, they'd much rather create moral panic so they have something to be outraged about.
BetScalper

vankancisco wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:06 am
Gun related statistics can often be misleading, but there's a general consensus that gun controls have worked. Recent years have seen gun killings drop by as much as 66% compared to that of 20 years ago. It's quite interesting to analyse the difference in attitudes between the US and UK. The US reaction to a tragedy such as Dunblane would be to arm teachers and staff, whilst the UK decided on banning handguns. There have been no school massacres since in the UK - it's basic common sense.
Handguns are not banned, although the general public believe this to be true.

They are allowed in one of the following circumstances:

1. Humane dispatch of animals and often carried by deer stalkers.
2. Anyone in possession of a Section 5 Firearms Certificate. Normally held by individuals working in maritime security.
3. Where by the overall length is 24". Usually by extending the barrel and fitting a brace.
4. Being a member of the Olympic Team. Just been given the go ahead to train and use their unmodified pistols again at Bisley. Been kept very quiet.
5. Anyone with RFD status. Not difficult to obtain.
6. Anyone with a Section 7 Firearms Certificate. Normally a pistol of historical significance like a 1911 .45.

If the general public and most MP's were to visit Bisley then I am sure a number would have a heart attack on the firearms being used by members of the public.
vankancisco

Exception that proves the rule comes to mind.
BetScalper

vankancisco wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:28 pm
Exception that proves the rule comes to mind.
I legally have one which looks like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
to75ne

surprise surprise you appear to be a gun nut. why would anyone need one of them? i can understand the police, military etc but not feeble minded fools such as yourself.
BetScalper

to75ne wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:08 pm
surprise surprise you appear to be a gun nut. why would anyone need one of them? i can understand the police, military etc but not feeble minded fools such as yourself.
Valid reason being Target Shooting.
to75ne

then i take it back. :)
BetScalper

to75ne wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 pm
then i take it back. :)
:)
BetScalper

And to the shock of many, if the Police trust you then you can even have one of these. Although that's taking the piss in regards to target shooting unless your trying to hit a tank.

http://www.fcsa.co.uk

As of 2016 around 600 private citizens in the UK have one.

More than enough to knock a drone out of the sky. :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”