Has anyone actually built a succesful Excel system yet?

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
Bluesky

Dallas wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 pm

I vaguely remember this post, or at least the part about a female trader in Italy if my memory serves me correctly she was mentioned by the user giulio2010 who i think worked with or was taught by her so you might want to start with searching some of his posts if your wanting to find it
I will have a nose around see if I can find the post, looks like at least its on this site. I had a feeling it might have been somewhere else I had seen it.
Bluesky

I found the post here it is by enzabella2009, slightly embarrassed to admit I was way out with my profit figures on the one football match. The actual profit on the game was 24.5K euros. I think I had the figure of 100K in my head because she mentioned that she knew of two traders that were making that kind of money weekly.

Once again I do not know her and have no idea if these results are genuine or not, but I would not be surprised if they were.

http://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5363
workpeter

I remember when I was a kid I hacked everyones computer account in my school. I did it by asking a handful of people what their assigned password was then reverse engineered the password which was based on the students initials.
In college I hacked into the student database and had access to private data such as addresses etc.
In both cases I bragged about it and in both cases i was shutout within days.
What's the lesson to be learnt?

Its safe to assume there are winning systems. People like to brag, it's human nature but to their downfall. Everyone eventually learns this.
Fun fact: Did google ever create an AI to play the stock market?
xitian

I thought the question was specifically referring to Excel systems?

There are definitely many automated systems out there which are profitable, but the most profitable are almost certainly non-Excel based systems and custom written in whatever language. As for profitable Excel systems, well there's no better person to comment than Dallas. I'm sure the systems that he freely posts are close to being profitable already, and probably just need some extra small edge or tweak to make them profitable, in which case there must be lots of profitable ones out there currently.

With Excel (and certainly once you add in VBA) you can do pretty much anything. In fact I started years ago with Excel/VBA because it works so well as a rapid prototyping UI, however it just may not perform quite as quick as a conventional stand alone programming language. In the end I dropped it in favour of a conventional language because I had no need for UI. The other thing is flexibility. Excel/VBA is pretty flexible, but other languages probably allow that flexibility (and scalability) in an easier manner.
LinusP

I believe the majority of PeterLe's systems use BA's Excel functionality and he has done alright over the years 8-)

I used to use excel but as xitian has mentioned, if you can program you build programs which are more powerful and dynamic.
Euler

LinusP wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 am
The big one is strategem.

http://www.stratagem.co/

https://www.ft.com/content/fb69df78-286 ... 144feabdc0
Stratagem are absolute peanuts and late to the scene. They raise money privately to start their business so you have to question why they needed to do that? There are about six large syndicates in London that I've talked to at one point or another but they are not syndicates in the true sense of the word.

The flaw with these types of business models is that the market just is not big enough to scale up enough. So all but the top 'syndicates' exist to extract money from people rather than make it for them.

I'm at the limit of what can be done in the markets, any bigger and you distort them. So I have never felt the need to recruit more people or raise money to deploy in the markets. The ROI when you trade successfully over thousands of markets is so high you never need to raise money any how. You actually end up with the opposite problem.
Euler

On the subject of Excel, we created the integration very early on to use it to quickly test and write stuff without the hassle of having to code and there are a lot of people that only use Excel.
PeterLe

LinusP wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 am
I believe the majority of PeterLe's systems use BA's Excel functionality and he has done alright over the years 8-)

I used to use excel but as xitian has mentioned, if you can program you build programs which are more powerful and dynamic.
Liam,
Just passed my tenth year on Betfair!
Certainly up to Around 2012, I only ever used betangel/excel and returned well over six figures but not quite seven 😀 It was phemoninal
From that point onwards the profits dropped month on month and at that point I moved onto my own programs. I employed programmers to create programs Build to my spec (c#). After streaming, had a new program written and at the same time I learned C# such that I could do basic modifications etc I still run those today, but the profits are nothing like these days sadly!

Excel - if it based on speed, you will never be able to compete with the guys on here who have build their own programs. Having said that I'm sure many are still doing very well with systems that are not speed dependant

For the bespoke programs, I've met a few of the programmers and they are SMART and extremely dedicated. I really do take my hat to them, they earn every penny they make.
Regards
Peter
topfour

karnage wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:23 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone of you has built a successful trading system, where it's trading on the odds as opposed to betting on the outcome of a race ? I just thought I'd pop by and tell you what I've been doing.

I'm in the process of developing a trading system. So far I have a system that "records" the data I want, I've added a load of VBA code to write in the appropriate formulas for moving averages and a number of other technical indicators. Writing code that has needed lines like this
formula1 = "=ROUND((B" & RowCountasString & "+E" & RowCountasString & ")/2,2)"
was probably the most painful bit of coding I've ever done. Would not recommend.
My professional programmer friends laugh at VBA , because theyre into C++ and Python etc, but as far as I can see, there's no programming problem I cannot solve with this language for this system.

I've also built in a testing system where I can simulate trading on my data. So for example if I want to test what would happen if: "I do a lay at every short/long moving average crossover, in the expectation the odds will move higher, and back it a bit later for a profit", I can put this into my code as the criteria for opening an "up" trade, and run my simulation to see what happens (clue: its not profitable)

My latest idea is some fairly complex stuff to get my system to "learn" from my data and technical indicators and assign weightings to various variables and factors in my data.

I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone's interested.
Hello, i am really interested in how to scalp on Excel. I would like to be able to set up a model and experiement from there. Horse trading is my main interest.. Hoping you can assist me ... topfour.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”