Calculate Event

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
Frogmella

I'm new to Excel prgramming although familiar with VB.

To run my code on a data changein the spreadsheet I am using the "Calculate" event. Is that the right way? Are there any other/better ways to monitor the arrival of new data?

Thanks in advance.
spreadbetting

Depends on what you're doing really, if it's all VBA you'd probably want to use Worksheet_Change as they'd be no calculations kicking off your events.

In simple terms a calculate event would fire because of a calculation taking place when the data refreshed i.e =A1+B1 if no calculations occured on the sheet as everything was handled by VBA you'd probably want to use change and that'd fire when upon a refresh. The main thing with your coding is to avoid allowing the code to go into endless loops with each calculation or change re-triggering everything. I use Worksheet_Change in my bots as each refresh sends a set amunt of columns so it's easier to limit your code to fire off only once per refresh.

Here's a page with a much better explanation than I could give on events http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Events.aspx
Last edited by spreadbetting on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
foxwood

Frogmella wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:33 pm
I'm new to Excel prgramming although familiar with VB.

To run my code on a data changein the spreadsheet I am using the "Calculate" event. Is that the right way? Are there any other/better ways to monitor the arrival of new data?

Thanks in advance.
Have a look at Worksheet_Change event - lots in Google including http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/run-macros-change.htm

Put the sub in the code for the "Bet Angel" page and drive things from that - beware changing the sheet itself otherwise you trigger the event again and get lost in a race condition !

There used to be some sample BA downloads for Excel in the appropriate forum section which also give some useful ideas.
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:59 pm
The main thing with your coding is to avoid allowing the code to go into endless loops with each calculation or change re-triggering everything.
+!

I've never liked the sledgehammer appraoch of the Change events.

I've always found it better to have a timer loop. I have a 'start/stop' button on my sheet that toggles a RunStatus field and executes a routine a bit like this....

PauseTime = Sheets("Preferences").Range("RecordInterval") ' Set frequency of checks
While Sheets("FrontEnd").Range("RunStatus") = "Yes" And PauseTime > 0
Call CheckForChanges 'and do stuff if key items change
WaitForNext
Wend

and WaitForNext() looks something like this...

Start = Timer ' Set start time.
Do While Sheets("FrontEnd").Range("RunStatus") = "Yes" And Timer < Start + PauseTime
DoEvents ' Yield to other processes.
Loop

It's all proabably a bit old skool, but it's how I skin this particuar cat.
Frogmella

Thanks all, I bought an 1100+ page "VBA for Excel" book and have read half of it but the authors still haven't answered the question that prompted this thread. I wonder if they ever do.

I should have just come here first.
welshboy06

Programming books are great for learning the overall language and syntax, also the best practices.

They rarely have something as specific as what you're asking though. I find forums/websites to be the best for when you need to achieve something specific.
StackOverflow I find to be a fantastic resource
nigelk

A new Bet Angel sheet contains no formulas, so the calculate event won't work unless you create a formula.

Open up a new BA workbook and everything you see has the possibility to trigger the change event.
Frogmella

nigelk wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:10 pm
A new Bet Angel sheet contains no formulas, so the calculate event won't work unless you create a formula.

Open up a new BA workbook and everything you see has the possibility to trigger the change event.
How odd. As I said in my OP, I am using "Worksheet_Calculate()" and it is working as I had hoped. No formulas, just VB.

I linked some fields from the "Bet Angel" sheet to my sheet and coded the "Worksheet_Calculate()" event for my sheet to do some maths on the data, using VB, and display the result, nothing fancy, just beginner stuff. But it does seem to work OK.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going in the wrong direction before I really get stuck in.
nigelk

I linked some fields from the "Bet Angel"
Anything that starts with "=" is a calculation

Ie. "='Bet Angel'!G9"

Will trigger the calculate event
Frogmella

Of course. Thanks.
seanmac

nigel .... he's da man when it comes to excel / vba :D very generous with his time

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”