Today's Atrocious Horse Racing - Pathetic

The sport of kings.
oliver123

It all started with one of the stalls failing at Newbury's opening race at 1:40. And the whole afternoon went downhill from there. For those of us who concentrate on in-play trading it just became impossible. I gave up around 3:30. To be honest I prefer the jumps races - why? Because you don't have these stupid, inane, flipping starting stalls. I'd ban them and just start the flats as jumps races start.

Right, that's my rant over for this year!
jimibt

certainly concur with the title!!
Dallas

I just hope the Haydock stalls handler makes a full recovery
PeterLe

oliver123 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:59 pm
... For those of us who concentrate on in-play trading it just became impossible.
Decent day for me so far, esp Nott (all automated though)
spreadbetting

Dallas wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:33 pm
I just hope the Haydock stalls handler makes a full recovery
I'd agree, some poor sod, who's a crucial part of racing, gets run over, airlifted to hospital but people are more annoyed it's messed up their in running for the day?
gullsfan

I was thinking the same really. The first delay was caused by one stall failing to open and the medium size field going half way down the sprint course before returning.

Not ideal but anything mechanical normally has the capacity to go wrong which it did. The second delay was caused by a horse getting loose. Once in full flow these powerful beasts take some stopping. Short of shooting the animal there isn't much else anyone can do.

As for the incident where the stalls handler has ended up in intensive care - well without knowing the full details this sounds horrific. Lets just hope this isn't as bad as it sounds but it does appear to be really serious.

What exactly is "pathetic" about any of this I am not exactly sure, but I suppose it is easy to sit in judgement from behind a computer.

Basically I do wonder about the mentality of some people though.
to75ne

sadly the handler as apparantly just passed away. what can you say i dont know.
Naffman

to75ne wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm
sadly the handler as apparantly just passed away. what can you say i dont know.
Very sad just hope his family can get all the help they need, just so tragic! :(
Euler

Very sad: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/40686921

They don't really get paid much for a difficult job.
BetScalper

Forgive me for being stupid but isn't there a break type thing applied so it cant roll forward or back ?
Dublin_Flyer

Could be Betscalper, probably won't hear a thing about it until the inquest into the death. There's a hell of a lot of metal rolling along those wide wheels, if you slipped under them then you could be squished before the tractor driver even realised it.

The death was confirmed just 2 or 3 hours after the incident so the injuries must have been absolutely horrific if he couldn't be kept alive in ICU :(
oliver123

Hi folks, well I was totally unaware about the death of this man until I returned to the forum this morning. What can I say? I think the BHA really needs to convene and take a serious look at starting stalls. I find them futile, mechanical traps and I honestly think that our beloved 4-legged friends are just frightened of them.

I shall end by just saying my thoughts really do go out to the family and loved ones of that brave stall handler!!
gullsfan

What an absolutely horrific and tragic incident. The stall handlers have a thankless task really and its clearly a very dangerous job in the best of circumstances.
The report I read said that the poor man was pronounced dead at the scene. To be honest the initial reports and the pretty swift abandonment of the meeting seemed to indicate that the prognosis was not going to be a good one.
A very sad day.
Dublin_Flyer

oliver123 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:55 am
I think the BHA really needs to convene and take a serious look at starting stalls. I find them futile, mechanical traps and I honestly think that our beloved 4-legged friends are just frightened of them.

I shall end by just saying my thoughts really do go out to the family and loved ones of that brave stall handler!!
Oliver you're an in-running player as you've mentioned before, so stalls should be a great part of your pre race analysis. Would you prefer a starter line/tape start over minimum distance at a tight track rather than a stall draw? I'd estimate the jockey and horse fatality would rise exponentially as they all make a break for the rail.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”