Football Data (goal times per match)

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
dm1900

Hi,

I'm looking for some data but cannot find it anywhere on the internet in a decently consumable form!

Ultimately I'm looking for a list of the goal times per match (preferably grouped by league as well). Does anyone know of any data source like this?

Thanks,
David
jonnyg

I manually collate the time of the opening goal > been labour intensive but worth it

I offer free early goal data for a number of leagues around the globe > :idea:
Dallas

doovd wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:17 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for some data but cannot find it anywhere on the internet in a decently consumable form!

Ultimately I'm looking for a list of the goal times per match (preferably grouped by league as well). Does anyone know of any data source like this?

Thanks,
David
If you know how to you could scrape what you need from the following, once in excel you can do anything you want with it quickly and easily
http://football.hkjc.com/football/stati ... agues.aspx
dm1900

Thanks Dallas. I've also come across this Kaggle set which is fantastic, if anyone else requires the same: https://www.kaggle.com/hugomathien/soccer
jonnyg

This is going to be a eureka moment for you > not for me >

expectation of a goal is dependent on the current score = game state as time decays in an individual league added to the effect of the time of the opening goal >

if you look at every dataset around social media / sites / etc etc >

not one is looking at the effect of the time of the opening goal

for example imagine I have brilliant tech skills and I punch in every FT score in the PL since 2008-2009 to give the expected outcome in a game in terms of the FT score >

what I have is a massive database that is completely useless > yes they all have games that are in the PL < yes the sample is huge

BUT > the games have in general no common variables > :idea:

in effect we are seeing people with tech skills jumping into football betting / model making / without a basic understanding of football data and analytics >

time for everyone to go back to basics and look at the time of the opening goal and the effect > :idea:

and if you look at sites that do offer time of goal boundaries

they are 0-15 16-30 and 31-45 etc < this is useless > I could explain why but it would take me an hour and I dont want to bore you rigid

= people are scraping time of goal data that is useless > in the boundaries that is offered <
jonnyg

if you look at the big players > their focus is on expected goal totals and that is data that 99.9% of people are people are never going to be privy to > how much of an edge that data offers is open to discussion >

in the brief time I have been on this forum > I have noted that strategies have been offered < e.g. backing the draw at 1-0 HT , laying the draw , lay the correct score on 80 etc etc etc

not one of the strategies has focused on why you would follow that particular strategy = the mechanics behind the strategy .> so if you do LTD before the game starts < can you explain why ?
dm1900

jonnyg wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:42 am
if you look at the big players > their focus is on expected goal totals and that is data that 99.9% of people are people are never going to be privy to > how much of an edge that data offers is open to discussion >

in the brief time I have been on this forum > I have noted that strategies have been offered < e.g. backing the draw at 1-0 HT , laying the draw , lay the correct score on 80 etc etc etc

not one of the strategies has focused on why you would follow that particular strategy = the mechanics behind the strategy .> so if you do LTD before the game starts < can you explain why ?
I've always thought that any "offered" strategy is one that doesn't work. No one is going to let go of a winning strategy for free.
jonnyg

doovd wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:58 am
jonnyg wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:42 am

I've always thought that any "offered" strategy is one that doesn't work. No one is going to let go of a winning strategy for free.
You can have a free one from me < which i developed a number of years ago > laying the correct score on 80 + minutes in games that produce an early goal metric >

it has appeared recently on this forum but not with the reference to the early goal metric >
jonnyg

footnote > are you suggesting that soccer mystic is only offering losing strategies ? :lol:
dm1900

jonnyg wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 am

= people are scraping time of goal data that is useless > in the boundaries that is offered <
I get this - hence why I have asked for the exact timings, rather than the boundaries.
Orixian

Dallas wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 pm
doovd wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:17 pm
Hi,

Thanks,
David
If you know how to you could scrape what you need from the following, once in excel you can do anything you want with it quickly and easily
http://football.hkjc.com/football/stati ... agues.aspx
Im after a similar data set. If you know how to scrape or you have a resource that can teach someone how to scrape I dlove to know. My VBA has come on a long way but I can't scrap other websites.
welshboy06

jonnyg wrote:

expectation of a goal is dependent on the current score = game state as time decays in an individual league added to the effect of the time of the opening goal >

for example imagine I have brilliant tech skills and I punch in every FT score in the PL since 2008-2009 to give the expected outcome in a game in terms of the FT score >

what I have is a massive database that is completely useless > yes they all have games that are in the PL < yes the sample is huge

in effect we are seeing people with tech skills jumping into football betting / model making / without a basic understanding of football data and analytics >

time for everyone to go back to basics and look at the time of the opening goal and the effect > :idea:

they are 0-15 16-30 and 31-45 etc < this is useless > I could explain why but it would take me an hour and I dont want to bore you rigid

The site Dalas linked to doesn't offer boundaries. It offer exact goal timings (To the minute)
Take a look below, final games of last season
http://football.hkjc.com/football/stati ... team_no=-1

You could easily use this site, and its data to prove/disprove your theory about time decay or whatever.
jonnyg

welshboy06 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:19 pm
jonnyg wrote:

The site Dalas linked to doesn't offer boundaries. It offer exact goal timings (To the minute)

You could easily use this site, and its data to prove/disprove your theory about time decay or whatever.

this is worthy of a detailed response on the basis that I have manually collated the time of the opening goal data for over 5 years >

the link you provide > shows goal times in games in the Premier league in the same format as say soccerway > what exactly would you consider using that data for in that format ?????

does it tell you for example the average goal production in games in the Premier league in games where the home team open the scoring on 18 minutes ??

how about the % of games in the Premier league where the home team open the scoring in the 0-10 minutes time band and 1-0 HT > 1-1 pathway with a goal in the 46-60 minute time band and still 1-1 on 60 minutes in terms of the % that end over 2.5 goals ???

the insight = when you say prove / disprove a theory ??

what exactly am I trying to prove or disprove ??

what I am saying is that football data and analytics is light years behind where it should be due to the lack of flow of data > and your link highlights the point that I am making <

this is why I am getting a number of messages asking me where I get my data from
welshboy06

jonnyg wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:05 am
welshboy06 wrote:
jonnyg wrote:

this is worthy of a detailed response on the basis that I have manually collated the time of the opening goal data for over 5 years >

the link you provide > shows goal times in games in the Premier league in the same format as say soccerway > what exactly would you consider using that data for in that format ?????

does it tell you for example the average goal production in games in the Premier league in games where the home team open the scoring on 18 minutes ??

how about the % of games in the Premier league where the home team open the scoring in the 0-10 minutes time band and 1-0 HT > 1-1 pathway with a goal in the 46-60 minute time band and still 1-1 on 60 minutes in terms of the % that end over 2.5 goals ???

what I am saying is that football data and analytics is light years behind where it should be due to the lack of flow of data > and your link highlights the point that I am making <

this is why I am getting a number of messages asking me where I get my data from
If you scraped all the data on there. You would have every game played in all leagues with the exact goal times.
From the above data you could then do some formulas in excel to show the amount of games where the home team scored first, games where teams have fought back after going 1-0 down. You could easily get the average goals per BPL game for a season (or all seasons)
jonnyg

welshboy06 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:55 pm
jonnyg wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:05 am
welshboy06 wrote:

If you scraped all the data on there. You would have every game played in all leagues with the exact goal times.
From the above data you could then do some formulas in excel to show the amount of games where the home team scored first, games where teams have fought back after going 1-0 down. You could easily get the average goals per BPL game for a season (or all seasons)
when you say easy ?

how easy ?

can you tell me for example what is the average goal production since 2011-2012 in games where the home team in the PL opened the scoring on 8 minutes ?

Return to “Football trading”