Can betfair flag your account ?

A place to discuss anything.
tradeone1

Hi all
I trade UK and US horse race markets and after period of good times with good results happens something weird. Markets starts to behave with slow motion. I mean i start to see the move of the price on the ladder when it's already done. Trading awareness decreases so low that markets become untradable. I used to think that it can be result of coming breakdown but it wasn't always the reason and this period could last couple days. I was thinking about internet connection issues but it's not the case as well according to tools i used. I'm not going to list all of my observations i gathered for significant period of time because I don't want to bore you so I will go to the point. Can betfair flag accounts in order to "lets say" decrease someone liquidity on the markets? Of course I'm not saying officially. I rather would like to hear from you if anybody else encounters this pattern constantly or It's only me.
Derek27

tradeone1 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:25 am
Hi all
I trade UK and US horse race markets and after period of good times with good results happens something weird. Markets starts to behave with slow motion. I mean i start to see the move of the price on the ladder when it's already done. Trading awareness decreases so low that markets become untradable. I used to think that it can be result of coming breakdown but it wasn't always the reason and this period could last couple days. I was thinking about internet connection issues but it's not the case as well according to tools i used. I'm not going to list all of my observations i gathered for significant period of time because I don't want to bore you so I will go to the point. Can betfair flag accounts in order to "lets say" decrease someone liquidity on the markets? Of course I'm not saying officially. I rather would like to hear from you if anybody else encounters this pattern constantly or It's only me.
Betfair cannot possibly decrease liquidity in a market because it would mean cancelling other peoples bets and we'd all be complaining.

Is this what you're seeing?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15692&p=143016&hil ... ly#p143016
Kai

tradeone1 wrote:
Hi all
Not sure I follow but sounds like market refresh rate issues?
Euler

Other than what has been pointed out, I'm not sure there is any way for Betfair to do this.
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:49 pm
Other than what has been pointed out, I'm not sure there is any way for Betfair to do this.
+1
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:32 pm
Euler wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:49 pm
+1
We all use the same api endpoint so we all see the same information.

With no motive, opportunity or means, it's going to be hard to make the case against the accused stick. ;)
ShaunWhite

I just reaised that's the same as you see when you use what's called the "delayed" api key that people can get for free for testing etc. What we usually see is using a "live" key. Naughty boys used to be dropped back to the delayed key but I haven't seen any restrictions lately esp if people are streaming. And this guy does seem to be actively trading so generating income.
tradeone1

tradeone1 wrote:
Hi all
I made a deposit and liquidity came back. Apparently they are not my biggest funs only making withdraws
ShaunWhite

tradeone1 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:20 pm
I made a deposit and liquidity came back. Apparently they are not my biggest funs only making withdraws
They're fine with people who only withdraw, they're the ones who generate a load of commission for them. When you say you made a deposit did you have an empty bank? They'll restrict your feed if you don't have funds.
Derek27

tradeone1 wrote:
tradeone1 wrote:
Hi all
Was your account empty or near empty? I vaguely recall somewhere in the rules that in order to view the full exchange data you need to be logged in and have a funded account. I think it was as little as £5.

If that was the case, it's not the liquidity that's disappearing, just the data that normally reaches your screen. :)
Euler

An unfunded account will get a refresh delay.
tradeone1

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:31 pm
tradeone1 wrote:
They're fine with people who only withdraw, they're the ones who generate a load of commission for them. When you say you made a deposit did you have an empty bank? They'll restrict your feed if you don't have funds.
I had in that perticular situation (before my vacation time) around 500 Euro account balance so it shouldn't be the case
ShaunWhite

tradeone1 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:25 pm
I had in that perticular situation (before my vacation time) around 500 Euro account balance so it shouldn't be the case
It does seem like a strange one. That only used to happen to habitual data harvesters who didn't have any activity. It would be worth asking chat to raise a support issue with the "trading team" and get an answer. Chat won't be able to help but they can raise support requests and you should get an answer in a day or two.
Euler

As long as you have been active on your account you should be OK, but if you have been in practice mode extensively then that could also be a cause.

Return to “General discussion”