Back Field by Criteria

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
RMSSC

Hello
Once again I need your help, I want to back the 1 and 2 favourites before the start of the race and back the rest if they reach an odd of 2.0, however I am not succeeding, the bets are placed immediately at the odd that is on the market and not the one I want.
In short, the 1st and 2nd favourites are placed as planned, the rest don't wait for the odd back to reach the set odd

I've tried several ways but with no results.
Can you help?
File attached
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

RMSSC wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:06 pm
Hello
Once again I need your help, I want to back the 1 and 2 favourites before the start of the race and back the rest if they reach an odd of 2.0, however I am not succeeding, the bets are placed immediately at the odd that is on the market and not the one I want.
In short, the 1st and 2nd favourites are placed as planned, the rest don't wait for the odd back to reach the set odd

Can you help?
File attached
Cheers
Sometimes it is better if you post screen shots
Derek27

RMSSC wrote:
Hello

Can you help?
File attached
Cheers
You forgot to place a condition to test that the odds <=2.0.

Did you also mean to back the others by book percentage and not fixed stake?

A 50% stake at 2.0 would usually guarantee a loss when you've already backed the 1st and 2nd favourites, plus another 50% stake on any other horse that hits 2.0!
RMSSC

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm
RMSSC wrote:
Hello

Can you help?
File attached
Cheers

A 50% stake at 2.0 would usually guarantee a loss when you've already backed the 1st and 2nd favourites, plus another 50% stake on any other horse that hits 2.0!
Thank you very much for your help, inexperience leads to basic details being forgotten :oops: .
The odd to test is 1.15 (in the file it was just an example).
All are by % of the book but the value to test has to be lower in some odds than row 2 to be triggered.
Basically it's to prevent a loss, the fear is that the value won't be matched.
Basically, I'm testing to learn.
Derek27

RMSSC wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
RMSSC wrote:
Hello

Can you help?
File attached
Cheers

Thank you very much for your help, inexperience leads to basic details being forgotten :oops: .
All are by % of the book but the value to test has to be lower in some odds than row 2 to be triggered.
Backing at even money won't prevent a loss. For example:

£40 on 2.5 favourite to return £100

£20 on 5.0 2nd favourite to return £100

£50 matched on another selection at 2.0 will return £100, but £110 has now been staked, making a loss. If two horses trade at odds-on that would be £160 staked!
RMSSC

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:35 am
RMSSC wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

£50 matched on another selection at 2.0 will return £100, but £110 has now been staked, making a loss. If two horses trade at odds-on that would be £160 staked!
Hello

My intention is the following:
- Do a Back the Field to the top 3 favourites by book%;
- To look out for the rest who enter within a certain odd at the same amount per book%;
The question here is the ideal odd to achieve a stable result so that I win most of the time and the losses are as small as possible.
If you want to give some tips, I'm still inexperienced, maybe by P.M.?
Cheers
sionascaig

RMSSC wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:09 am

Hello

- To look out for the rest who enter within a certain odd at the same amount per book%;
The question here is the ideal odd to achieve a stable result so that I win most of the time and the losses are as small as possible.
Cheers
If you are doing outright backing (or laying), the only way to win longer term is to get "value" on your selections / odds... i.e. beat the market taking account of commission..

==> so question should be how do you know if you can obtain a value position using the method described above?

And the short answer is, for any given race, you don't (unless exceptionally lucky, say got picked up in a spike / fat fingers event), however in the longer term over 1000's of bets if you can make a profit chances are you hit on a method to extract value from the market.
Derek27

RMSSC wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:09 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:35 am
RMSSC wrote:

Hello

Cheers
I've already explained why the strategy won't work in the post you've quoted.

Backing any horse that drops to a certain price will not keep your losses small. It will magnify them because you're just throwing away good money to recover the bad money. As I've explained above, if you back two horses at 2.0, you cannot possibly win.
The Silk Run

You MAY also consider not taking the prices on offer BACK, or LAY.
I tick offset for example BACK -5, and LAY +5 and very rarely get my strikes unmatched.
You would be surprised of the difference over a long-term period.

NEVER take what's on offer !!!!
RMSSC

Hello,
Thank you for all your advice, it's certainly helped me to learn a few things. :)
Cheers
The Silk Run

RMSSC wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:25 pm
Hello,
Thank you for all your advice, it's certainly helped me to learn a few things. :)
Cheers
Your very welcome and GOOD LUCK with your endeavours. Perceiverance a handy attribute to have in your toolbox ;)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”