Schadenfreude vs guilt

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
gazuty

In some ways I am feeling guilty in other ways schadenfreude.

During set up this morning, there were two teams with similar names. There is a winning margin market and well some person has become confused. Corporate odds are as follows - the favourite is 1.79 for the largest margin and the outsider is 700 for the largest margin.

Someone has gotten confused in setting up the market and they have put in a back for $200 on the outsider in the largest margin at 1.98 (and so I have layed and taken the whole $200 at 1.98 and then put $1 back on with the corporates at 700).

However, I do not feel sorry for the counterpart. This person is a bottom feeder (in my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own strategy) who sets a very early market mostly at 1.01 per selection and then puts in an out of market bet on the favourite selection (eg. he or she was trying to get 1.98 for their back for something that is probably 1.8).

So, should I feel guilty or is this schadenfreude.
henryluca

Swings and roundabouts
Euler

If I make a mistake I expect to get punished in a free market, so I don't think you can really feel guilty exploring a mis pricing.
gazuty

Miscoded some automation today.

Gave some lucky person $300.

Because that automation was running simultaneously in over 150 markets and I walked away for a while I'm glad I didn't wipe my entire balance.
LeTiss

I've done that, Gazuty - it only cost me £85 though, but I was still pissed off!

I had over 500 markets loaded into Guardian, with an automated strategy assigned to them all. Bet Angel fired a bet, but I overlooked that it was taking 5mins to search through all 500 markets. By the time it got back to my match, it had gone 'in play'

It's all part of trading education, I never made that mistake again!
gazuty

Just checked. Turns out I dusted $500. :oops:

Embarrassment factor is high. To make it worse I was "gamed" by someone else's bot which outsmarted my automation.

In part my counterpart relied on making a price available for a very short time triggering my automation and taking the profit.

While suffering waves of embarrassment and anger, I know I just need to remain calm and get back to the simple task of making money.

Return to what I know. Investigate what I don't know. Use small stakes in unfamiliar markets to lower the cost of developing a winning strategy.
Euler

Works both ways, I messed up on some footy automation and made £392 the other day, thankfully. All averages out over time.

Return to “Trading Psychology”