Bet Exchange

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Dallas

I ve had this :idea: for sometime now and in view of the recent betfair/PP merger and the uncertainty this may mean for a future trade-able exchange just wondering what the possibilities for a totally new exchange are.

As pointed out by Euler in the Merger post the concept of betting exchanges are out of the Pandora box now so will be there in one format or another.

Now both betfair and betdaq are under the control and direction of old school bookies there could now one day be a gap for a dedicated peer to peer exchange with no sports books attached just as these once where.

For me the best chance of this being successful and working is for BA themselves and the other major software vendors developing there own exchange, if 80-90% of betfairs traded volume is trader money little or none of this will be placed direct on there site so software vendors already have this head start and edge, to prevent it being pure trader Vs trader outright backers and layers could be attracted to fill the circle by waving commissions on winnings for them in place charge the usual monthly subscription fee.

There would be no direct website - access only via software subscription.

Just the main sports and there most liquid markets need to be covered, obscure markets like the number of corners etc in football markets or 2nd Div Brazilian volleyball dont need to be included - BF and BD can have these markets all to themselves ;)

I know investment as well as gaming licenses would just be the tip of the iceberg for starters as well as a whole load of other things i have nt even thought of but in principal is this something that ever has a chance of being introduced and a reality?

PS - if it does ill let you use the name "Bet Exchange" for a lifetimes free subscription :D
LeTiss

I would suggest the diificulties BD have had in challenging BF shows how tough competing is

The person who'd know how much investment would be needed in a new exchange is Peter Webb - he's a businessman and opportunist. I'm sure the thought of BA morphing into an exchange operator has crossed his mind at some stage!
Euler

I think free flowing models like Augur will make the breakthrough at some point.
tricola

Beautiful Topic, brilliant lecture.
We need to realize that Betfair became, and will continiue to be bookmaker in next 5-10 years. There is no place for exchange in their ecosystem.
Bookies, high margins = easy money. There is no place for winners in their ecosystem.

I would be even open to help if needed to create something new.

Return to “Betfair exchange”