This Forum

A place to discuss anything.
Euler

We plan to create, trading only, threads in the near future. That should help people avoid the emotional side of things.
Archangel

LeTiss wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:56 am

The UK GE 2024 thread would be very interesting if we debated whether Labour at 1.35 are a good/bad price to win an overall majority and how we see that price moving
I don't see how you can have a thread about a General Election market that wouldn't naturally descend into political views and opinions.

Do you have a list of what we should and shouldn't be allowed to discuss here, or would you prefer to decide on who gets to post??
Naffman

Archangel wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:53 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:56 am

The UK GE 2024 thread would be very interesting if we debated whether Labour at 1.35 are a good/bad price to win an overall majority and how we see that price moving
I don't see how you can have a thread about a General Election market that wouldn't naturally descend into political views and opinions.

Do you have a list of what we should and shouldn't be allowed to discuss here, or would you prefer to decide on who gets to post??
Should have 2, one called trading/betting the UK General Election and a different one called Talking shite about the UK General Election, almost all threads need this :lol:
Derek27

Hepburn wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:18 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:18 am

Can't be many people who haven't had a falling out with Derek to be fair :) But without him there probably wouldn't be a forum either.

I can see your points but realistically the forum is only a mirror of it's members and if you want more trading related discussion someone is going to have to start them and nothing stopping you.

There's probably about 6 or 7 full time posters who are most likely full time traders too. No one's going to give away their tricks for free so the forum probably becomes a distraction from the boredom of trading and fills the gaps between races etc. If any trading post pops up from a newbie there's probably a rush to be first to respond with the general non committal advice so not like those posts get ignored.

At the end of the day the forum needs new blood and with Betfair doing nothing to promote the exchange it's probably down to Peter/Dallas to somehow bring them in, maybe if there's a splash screen on the app advertise it there or even do a Youtube post about the forum.
There was a very good forum before to be fair. Now I pop in once a month to witness consistent arguing - bragging and dummy spitting.

Betangel has so many good interesting features to try, but newbies aint gonna have a clue about because they wont wanna be here!!
Somehow, you've quoted CloseBets as LeTiss.

There hasn't been any arguing on the forum lately, just insult throwing. ;) I've pulled out of it and publicly agreed to no longer correspond with the other party, so as long as the other party does the same that's really the end of the matter and the forum should be back to normal.

As has already been mentioned, newbie questions still get answered. It's actually a relief to take a break from arguing/insult throwing to answer a newbie question. :)
firlandsfarm

Archangel wrote:

Yep, I've made that same point. I think the best thing would be to ban threads related to political markets. Those who want to trade such markets can do so. Rant Corner to remain as that's not a trading thread.
to75ne

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:54 pm
Archangel wrote:

Yep, I've made that same point. I think the best thing would be to ban threads related to political markets. Those who want to trade such markets can do so. Rant Corner to remain as that's not a trading thread.
seems a bit arse about face, keep a trite useless thread but stop threads about political markets (it is a trading forum), markets i assume as in trading.
Euler

Sort of feels that it's difficult to have a political market trading thread without Political views coming into it.

Like I said earlier, I just avoided it completely.

We could try a 'trading only area' but not sure how it would be moderated.

Either that or we start a religion thread to, excuse the pun, trump the political one!
Atho55

You don`t do much moderation so that`s not going to be an issue. IMHO someone needs to dive in at the start of the bickering and nip it in the bud then not when it`s gone on for what seems like days and is fizzling out.
Bobajob

Euler wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm
Sort of feels that it's difficult to have a political market trading thread without Political views coming into it.

Either that or we start a religion thread to, excuse the pun, trump the political one!
Just split into Trading/Other
Members of the forum will police 'Trading' section
You could probably even use AI to call out any 'infringers'
3 penalty points = 3 warnings
12 penalty point = ban
firlandsfarm

to75ne wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:07 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:54 pm
Archangel wrote:

seems a bit arse about face, keep a trite useless thread but stop threads about political markets (it is a trading forum), markets i assume as in trading.
Sorry, don't see it that way at all, I see it as pragmatic. Frankly I don't give a flying F* about the Rant thread' but there is no reason to ban it. If people want to keep the political markets threads they have to accept they will contain arguments. If they want to stop arguments then they will have to stop the threads, it's simple.
firlandsfarm

Bobajob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:01 pm
Euler wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm

Just split into Trading/Other
Members of the forum will police 'Trading' section
You could probably even use AI to call out any 'infringers'
3 penalty points = 3 warnings
12 penalty point = ban
How about a 'sin bin' for offending forumites :lol: :lol: :lol:
Galilee66

The decline of the forum has not resulted from the absence of an all-controlling moderator, but from the inability - and/or the reluctance - of some posters to moderate their own behaviour. Surely it is possible to conduct an exchange of ideas in a mature and respectful manner by simply observing some basic politeness and respect. I joined the forum (I think) in 2009 when it was a delight to participate in because posters conducted themselves with maturity and respect for each other. It has now descended into the depths of the banal.

Galilee66
Anbell

Galilee66 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:10 am
The decline of the forum has not resulted from the absence of an all-controlling moderator, but from the inability - and/or the reluctance - of some posters to moderate their own behaviour. Surely it is possible to conduct an exchange of ideas in a mature and respectful manner by simply observing some basic politeness and respect. I joined the forum (I think) in 2009 when it was a delight to participate in because posters conducted themselves with maturity and respect for each other. It has now descended into the depths of the banal.

Galilee66
Who in particular? Name names.
:lol:
Kai

Not the first time posters locked horns and certainly won't be the last.

A private word from a mod should suffice if it's a rare enough occurrence, you don't want anyone losing their heads as that's never a pretty sight.

Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:39 pm
Not the first time posters locked horns and certainly won't be the last.

A private word from a mod should suffice if it's a rare enough occurrence, you don't want anyone losing their heads as that's never a pretty sight.

We put an end to the conflict a week ago, but the forum's still keeping it alive. Are you all missing it? :lol:

Return to “General discussion”