Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:14 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:54 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:43 pm

Not really. Forest and Everton have breached FFP loss limits, whereas Man City have not.

The accusation is that they used underhand accounting manipulation to stay under limit, which they deny. This needs to be proved before guilt can be determined.

Incidentally none of these rules existed when the rest of the Premiership juggernauts splashed the cash to buy their success. They created them to try and prevent others from competing.
A lot of the accusations against city are around refusal to provide info that they are obliged to. They are playing a game of chicken with the EPL.
All they need to do is provide the info that the EPL require and the charges would fall away. The reluctance to provide the info suggests they are as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo.
Capture 38.PNG
:lol: I understand but I'm trying to plough through the quagmire of accusations with a lack of genuine inormation at the moment. It's like trying to knit spaghetti.
I'll get back to you if I come to an understanding of what City have been accused of precisely, rather than internet biased summarys.
Jeez. If someone was accused of murder the charge would be clear. The details of the evidence would be sub judice unless expressed in court.
But EPL rule B.13 or C.71. Does that mean anything at all to anyone?

B.13 made a rude gesture towards an EPL board member.
C.71 refused to disclose information regarding the acquisition of a player.
Anyhow. Will get back to you if I form an informed view.
jamesedwards

The whole FFP thing is a lot of nonsense brought in under the guise of preventing risk to long term club financial stability. In reality it was just to protect the status of the then Big 5.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Man City are proven guilty. They may have taken a calculated risk to bend the rules knowing it was the only way to get on equal footing with the big boys.

Meanwhile clubs like Reading are being left to fall into the abyss due to negligent ownership and nobody gives a crap.
harryefc84

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:24 pm
harryefc84 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:01 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:35 pm
The constant ad nauseam comparisons to Man City in media and elsewhere are nothing short of delusory. The case is totally different.

Everton and Notts Forest have overspent and have breached predetermined loss limits. They are guilty of breaking the rules by their own admission in the publication of their own accounts.

Man City have not breached predetermined loss limits based on their publicised accounts. They have been charged with 115 potential breaches of accounting that may have reduced losses publicised between 2009 and 2018. Because these are just suspected breaches they must be proved before guilt can be determined and punishment can be meted out.
That's why I've not really gone into man city's case, I agree its totally different. IF proven then they will be gone for a good while, but that's a BIG IF and not really relevant.

Its a lot easier to compare forest and Everton's. Forests was deliberate, gained a sporting advantage and more severe, nearly double. Yet they get a smaller punishment, it doesn't make sense.
Everton actually lost £370m over the three-year period in question. They tried to tuck £250m of it into the covid impact bucket. Notts Forest losses were only around £100m, but they had a lower limit of £61m because they were in the Championship for some of those years.

Each team was allowed adjustments due to covid?

Everton have been punished for a 19million overspend, which has come about due to building the new stadium. No sporting advantage was gained, that was even in the reports.

Forest overspend was 34.5million. That was down to overspending on players or not selling quick enough, however you want to look at it. Therefore gaining a sporting advantage and doing so deliberately.

Those are the published figures.

I would expect the limits to be alot lower if a club was in the championship for obvious reasons. Ive complete sympathy for forest and co who simply want to improve but the rules make that difficult.
harryefc84

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 pm
The whole FFP thing is a lot of nonsense brought in under the guise of preventing risk to long term club financial stability. In reality it was just to protect the status of the then Big 5.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Man City are proven guilty. They may have taken a calculated risk to bend the rules knowing it was the only way to get on equal footing with the big boys.

Meanwhile clubs like Reading are being left to fall into the abyss due to negligent ownership and nobody gives a crap.
I completely agree. The rules are not fit for their supposed purpose.
Kai

jamesedwards wrote:

Spot on for me

Obviously City are guilty as sin and they took on a calculated risk, but as much as we would like to see them punished retrospectively it would tear down the very fabric of football at this point, I'm afraid it's much more sensible overall to just let it slide and get on with it

Retrospective punishment as a concept is very tricky in general, look at premium charge as an example

You support anyone in the prem btw? I think my only real trigger is using sports for political agendas
Michael5482

Kai wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:58 pm
jamesedwards wrote:

Spot on for me

Obviously City are guilty as sin and they took on a calculated risk, but as much as we would like to see them punished retrospectively it would tear down the very fabric of football at this point, I'm afraid it's much more sensible overall to just let it slide and get on with it

Retrospective punishment as a concept is very tricky in general, look at premium charge as an example

You support anyone in the prem btw? I think my only real trigger is using sports for political agendas
Absolutely categorically not if they’ve broke the rules they need punishing. My club Darlington were relegated 5 divisions, other clubs have also been punished. What would tear down the fabric of football would be one of the richest clubs getting away scott free while clubs up and down the land have been punished for various financial rule breaking. Albeit these are enforced by different bodies (PL, EFL, NL etc) but football is football and rules are rules and they need enforcing however I do agree the rules are no longer fit for purpose but that doesn’t exclude City from any punishment if found guilty while rules were in place.

The PL is a great product on the field but off it’s a mess and out of control driven by greedy owners only need to see the current issue with the EFL the greedy PL don’t want to support the football league or grass roots football. I hope the Government do step in which is looking likely and rinse the PL.
Michael5482

Government pushing on with the new football regulator and the Premier League don’t seem to like it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68602074
Derek27

No way of knowing when an U21 Pro-Development match has started. Even Betfair didn't know the Ipswich match started until the first goal, 9 minutes in!
Derek27

Ajax v Chelsea Women's, 17:45, TNT1. :D

Not much else on tonight, though.
Derek27

Lyon player in the box pushing back a Benfica player ... against her breast!

And I have to concentrate on trading. :lol:
Kai

Michael5482 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:20 am
The PL is a great product on the field but off it’s a mess and out of control driven by greedy owners only need to see the current issue with the EFL the greedy PL don’t want to support the football league or grass roots football. I hope the Government do step in which is looking likely and rinse the PL.
Bro if City get punished I will eat my hat on a livestream
Derek27

Quality Women's Champions League football on tonight. You don't see the girls drawing nil-nil. :D
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 pm
Michael5482 wrote:

Pep likes your style...he wants to keep his own hat if possible.....

Pep.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
We may have to wait some time before we enjoy that event.
Interesting that some on here think the big five are in a conspiracy against City and others think City are invulnerable via sheer wealth.
Derek27

SK Branflakes are gonna be hammered by Barcelona judging by the betting.

Return to “Football trading”