Car insurance ripoff!

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Iron

I received a letter from Lloyds TSB today telling me that it will cost me £460 if I want to renew my car insurance with them.

I considered this a bit pricey, given that:

A. I'm 35 years old.

B. I've been driving for over 12 years and have 7 years' no claims discount

C. I only have one driving conviction (3 points for speeding in 2007).

D. I drive a 1.3 litre R reg Ford Fiesta

E. I do about 2,000 miles a year

So I went on Go Compare, hoping that they might be able to make me a better offer. But the best the big moustached tenor could offer me was a quote for £468!

I was paying less in my twenties! Have car insurance prices rocketed in the past year or something?!?

Jeff
jimrobo

Yeh I've noticed mine has shot up in the last 2 years.
LeTiss

Mine shot up this year too

I'm 40, no convictions, never claimed or had an accident

I've got a 2003 Astra & my premiums went from £325 to £406 with Halifax in July!

I was pissed off, but couldn't find anything much cheaper from Meerkats or Pavarotti
Zapata

I always use Moneysupermarket and they get great deals. The guy with the tash was expensive in comparison when I tried him once.
PeterLe

It's crazy isnt it?
I was looking for something for my son (20) ...he had enough for the car (Fiesta about £2500)...but the insurance was over £3K !!!
I told him he could borrow my bike in the end!
Probably due to all the whiplash claims!
andyfuller

Haven't had a car for a while, my daily commute is about 10 seconds from Bed to PC :lol:

But my brother did his recently and got £70 cash back via Quidco which made his policy not too expensive, there are various cashback sites so might be worth a look. Quite a few seem to offer £50 cash back.

If they can afford to give you cash back though - why do they not bother and just make the sodding premiums cheaper for everyone!

Also I thought these new powers the Police have of taking peoples cars was supposed to be reducing the number of uninsured drivers and as such should surely make premiums go down?

But I guess BGR Bloomers etc all who Spam ATR every Ad has meant all these idiots are suing for sod all forcing up premiums!
CaerMyrddin

I always watch TopGear and was astonished to see the amounts you pay for a car insurance. I pay €170 yearly, so I guess risk is much higher in the UK? It's doubtful, as Portugal has the highest crash rate in EU. You're just being robbed!
Iron

I think the fact that price comparison sites can afford to bombard us with cheesy commercials day and night says something about their profit margins!

Jeff
LeTiss 4pm wrote:Mine shot up this year too

I'm 40, no convictions, never claimed or had an accident

I've got a 2003 Astra & my premiums went from £325 to £406 with Halifax in July!

I was pissed off, but couldn't find anything much cheaper from Meerkats or Pavarotti
Iron

Ouch!

I'm glad I'm no longer that age - I wouldn't fancy being faced with the choice of using public transport or handing over a sizable chunk of my earnings to an insurance company who will search high and low for an excuse not to pay out if I have an accident...

Jeff
PeterLe wrote:It's crazy isnt it?
I was looking for something for my son (20) ...he had enough for the car (Fiesta about £2500)...but the insurance was over £3K !!!
I told him he could borrow my bike in the end!
Probably due to all the whiplash claims!
Iron

Hi CaerMyrddin

It could be that Portugal doesn't have the UK's crazy compensation culture, where if you get drunk and trip over a raised paving slab, you can sue your council...

Jeff
CaerMyrddin wrote:I always watch TopGear and was astonished to see the amounts you pay for a car insurance. I pay €170 yearly, so I guess risk is much higher in the UK? It's doubtful, as Portugal has the highest crash rate in EU. You're just being robbed!
Iron

Hi Andy

That's possible, but equally it could make insurers think 'We've got people over a barrel now'. :)

BTW, I think the police may now have technology that alerts patrol cars when an uninsured car passes them.

Jeff
andyfuller wrote:
Also I thought these new powers the Police have of taking peoples cars was supposed to be reducing the number of uninsured drivers and as such should surely make premiums go down?
andyfuller

Ferru123 wrote:BTW, I think the police may now have technology that alerts patrol cars when an uninsured car passes them.
They have had it and the power to seize uninsured cars for a few years now. the technology is the ANPR camera - Automatic Number Plate Recognition
Iron

In that case, my guess is that the increase in cost was caused by the cost of compensation payouts.

BTW, the average insurance premium in the UK makes my quote look cheap - the figure is £1059!

(Source: http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread. ... 0909221400).

Jeff
andyfuller wrote:
Ferru123 wrote:BTW, I think the police may now have technology that alerts patrol cars when an uninsured car passes them.
They have had it and the power to seize uninsured cars for a few years now. the technology is the ANPR camera - Automatic Number Plate Recognition
PeterLe

CaerMyrddin wrote:I always watch TopGear and was astonished to see the amounts you pay for a car insurance. I pay €170 yearly, so I guess risk is much higher in the UK? It's doubtful, as Portugal has the highest crash rate in EU. You're just being robbed!
Hi Caermyrddin
Highest crash rate in the EU?...we're flying to Portugal on Sunday for a break...might leave the driving licence at home then!
regards
Peter
PS just off topic..but on the topic of saving money...our flights cost just under 400 quid...but on jet2.com you could fly to Portugal on Wednesday from Manchester for £10.99 each! Cheaper than a taxi into town! You could buy two return tickets with one good trade! :D
chrishorne

try Quinn direct.com, I pay £430 p/a & thats after an accident last year, (my fault) & the theft & write off of my car 2 years ago, my no claims is 1 year now thats all, i'm 47 with no endorsements. they're well worth looking at, based in Ireland.
I too have looked at moneysupermarket & go-compare, cant understand why the big differences though, as far as i know both sites are owned by peter jones of dragons den fame, makes you scatch your head a bit doesnt it

Return to “Chill Out Area”