Protecting a BAF file

Help improve Bet Angel.
sibur

I have developed a strategy that is automated as a BAF and although it's early days, I have high hopes this could be lucrative for me. If that happens I'd quite like friends/family to benefit from it in a controlled way but the last thing I want to do is release the file, in fear that it finds its way to a wider population that would undoubtedly dilute it's effects.
What I'd like is to be able to protect the BAF so it can't be read, updated, there is limited log reporting and it can only be run by selected users. This could be implemented using encryption or hiding the logic behind a password. The ability to control via the API would be handy too.

I suspect there would be a lot of demand for this as it also offers opportunities for people who have developed working strategies to monetise their IP.
to75ne

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:51 pm
I have developed a strategy that is automated as a BAF and although it's early days, I have high hopes this could be lucrative for me. If that happens I'd quite like friends/family to benefit from it in a controlled way but the last thing I want to do is release the file, in fear that etc.
if it did work as well as you hope and you allows others have it/use it, the market would soon negate its effectiveness.

if you any have sense then keep it to yourself, tell nobody.
jimibt

sibur wrote:
I have developed a strategy that is automated as a BAF and although it's early days, I have high hopes this could be lucrative for me. If that happens I'd quite like friends/family to benefit from it in a controlled way but the last thing I want to do is release the file, in fear that it finds its way to a wider population that would undoubtedly dilute it's effects.
What I'd like is to be able to protect the BAF so it can't be read, updated, there is limited log reporting and it can only be run by selected users. This could be implemented using encryption or hiding the logic behind a password. The ability to control via the API would be handy too.

I suspect there would be a lot of demand for this as it also offers opportunities for people who have developed working strategies to monetise their IP.
Altho i no longer use BF/BA, i can empathise with your plight. I now use cTrader for creating strategies in c# aimed at forex/indices.

You can distribute a readonly version called a .algo file. this is a packaged/encrypted version of the file which only exposes any variable parameters that can be used in the strategy. something similar could work for BA. Tho as ever, supporting such a paradigm from both BA's end and yours would be quite an undertaking. Plus - effectively stopping that file from unauthorised distribution would be difficult. that in itself would diminish the effectiveness of your edge.

hope it works out.
Bobajob

sibur wrote:

This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked"
It would definitely be a good idea if BAF files could be encrypted.
sibur

to75ne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:55 pm
sibur wrote:
I have developed a strategy that is automated as a BAF and although it's early days, I have high hopes this could be lucrative for me. If that happens I'd quite like friends/family to benefit from it in a controlled way but the last thing I want to do is release the file, in fear that etc.
if it did work as well as you hope and you allows others have it/use it, the market would soon negate its effectiveness.

I hear you and your argument is very true, but that is precisely why I want to see this change added. By doing it I can control how it's used and who by. I can limit the stakes used and I can ensure it doesn't go beyond a certain cohort. The idea of being able to help some friends who maybe could do with some extra pennies is quite appealing. It also allows you to license your BAF for others to benefit.
Bobajob

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:16 pm
to75ne wrote:
sibur wrote:

I hear you and your argument is very true, but that is precisely why I want to see this change added. By doing it I can control how it's used and who by. I can limit the stakes used and I can ensure it doesn't go beyond a certain cohort. The idea of being able to help some friends who maybe could do with some extra pennies is quite appealing. It also allows you to license your BAF for others to benefit.
You've shot yourself in the foot - you should have used my argument
Derek27

sibur wrote:

Just store the file in a password manager and share it with your selected few, which most password managers facilitate. You can even use cloud storages sites for that, which is pretty secure.

Personally, I wouldn't be too fussed if one of my BAF files leaked onto the internet. Even if I had a file that was a money-making machine, how would anyone distinguish it from one of my many losing bots or experiments? I doubt anyone's daft enough to think, hey, I've found a BAF file. Better load up my Betfair balance and go flat out with it. :)
Bobajob

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 pm
sibur wrote:

Just store the file in a password manager and share it with your selected few, which most password managers facilitate. You can even use cloud storages sites for that, which is pretty secure.

Personally, I wouldn't be too fussed if one of my BAF files leaked onto the internet. Even if I had a file that was a money-making machine, how would anyone distinguish it from one of my many losing bots or experiments? I doubt anyone's daft enough to think, hey, I've found a BAF file. Better load up my Betfair balance and go flat out with it. :)
Unless the BAF file is installed on the BA VPS
to75ne

sibur wrote:
to75ne wrote:
sibur wrote:

sorry that is not what i mean.

you are suggesting ( that is how i read it) that you have found/developed a strategy and/or method on a sport that a trade/bet can be automated to such an extent that automation can apply it without any intervention (or minimal) i.e., if such and such conditions/condition is meet, and so much money is available at x price and the overround is equal to or higher than, and so on and so on, in other words a purely "mechanical" , repeatable type trade/bet , if a=b, then do c resulting in ching ching.

if you have found such a trade/bet, assuming it works then sooner or later it will be seen in the market and the market will adjust to counter it, you will have to adjust it over time to counter the market seeing it. you will need to keep evolving it.

if you start telling people (giving them the rule file or verbally) even friends etc, they will start to use it, if successful and they pass it to their friends and they will pass on their friend, and so on and on and on.

the market will very quickly see your once profitable rule/strategy/trade and negate it very very quickly.

keep it to yourself if it truly is profitable. only tell people if you have to when is no longer profitable.
Bobajob

to75ne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:44 pm
sibur wrote:
to75ne wrote:

you are suggesting ( that is how i read it) that you have found/developed a strategy and/or method on a sport that a trade/bet can be automated to such an extent that automation can apply it without any intervention (or minimal) i.e., if such and such conditions/condition is meet, and so much money is available at x price and the overround is equal to or higher than, and so on and so on, in other words a purely "mechanical" , repeatable type trade/bet , if a=b, then do c resulting in ching ching.

if you have found such a trade/bet, assuming it works then sooner or later it will be seen in the market and the market will adjust to counter it, you will have to adjust it over time to counter the market seeing it. you will need to keep evolving it.

if you start telling people (giving them the rule file or verbally) even friends etc, they will start to use it, if successful and they pass it to their friends and they will pass on their friend, and so on and on and on.

the market will very quickly see your once profitable rule/strategy/trade and negate it very very quickly.

keep it to yourself if it truly is profitable. only tell people if you have to when is no longer profitable.
So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated - bollocks
The only thing that's being negated at the moment is volume/liquidity and getting 'matched'
to75ne

Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm
to75ne wrote:
sibur wrote:

So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated - bollocks
The only thing that's being negated at the moment is volume/liquidity
Bobajob

to75ne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:52 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm
to75ne wrote:

and getting 'matched'
to75ne

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

what mechanical/repeatable no hands on (or minimal) strategy works then? name one.

if you think what i am saying is bollocks and you do have a winning formula/rule/whatever then post it here on this forum so everyone can automate it --- it will not be a winning formula/rule/whatever for very long.
Bobajob

to75ne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:59 pm
[/quote]
[/quote]

what mechanical/repeatable no hands on (or minimal) strategy works then? name one.

if you think what i am saying is bollocks and you do have a winning formula/rule/whatever then post it here on this forum so everyone can automate it --- it will not be a winning formula/rule/whatever for very long.
[/quote]
You'll have to come up with a better argument than that to get your hands on a free "profitable" strategy
Derek27

sibur wrote:
to75ne wrote:
sibur wrote:

How can you possibly limit the stakes of the people you allow to use it? It would have to run on their own Betfair account, with their own BA software with their own BA licence. You couldn't possibly have any control over what others are doing?

Return to “Suggestions”