Help improve Bet Angel.
Bobajob

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:18 pm
sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:16 pm
to75ne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:55 pm

if it did work as well as you hope and you allows others have it/use it, the market would soon negate its effectiveness.

if you any have sense then keep it to yourself, tell nobody.
I hear you and your argument is very true, but that is precisely why I want to see this change added. By doing it I can control how it's used and who by. I can limit the stakes used and I can ensure it doesn't go beyond a certain cohort. The idea of being able to help some friends who maybe could do with some extra pennies is quite appealing. It also allows you to license your BAF for others to benefit.
How can you possibly limit the stakes of the people you allow to use it? It would have to run on their own Betfair account, with their own BA software with their own BA licence. You couldn't possibly have any control over what others are doing?
Sibur has shot himself in the foot - used the wrong argument
sibur

You can easily limit stakes because it's all contained in a protected file where all the conditions are hidden from view. Someone in it's possession could not change it. They could copy it but as it only works for a nominated user it would be pretty useless. Effectively you would have a read-only BAF

You would be in complete control over what stakes and to who could use it.

Therefore you might potentially issue variations of this file, one with higher stakes perhaps.
Bobajob

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:50 pm
You can easily limit stakes because it's all contained in a protected file where all the conditions are hidden from view. Someone in it's possession could not change it. They could copy it but as it only works for a nominated user it would be pretty useless. Effectively you would have a read-only BAF

Therefore you might potentially issue variations of this file, one with higher stakes perhaps.
You are probably better off converting the BAF file to python/C"# etc using the BF API
to75ne

Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:16 pm
to75ne wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:59 pm
So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated - bollocks
The only thing that's being negated at the moment is volume/liquidity
[/quote]

what mechanical/repeatable no hands on (or minimal) strategy works then? name one.

if you think what i am saying is bollocks and you do have a winning formula/rule/whatever then post it here on this forum so everyone can automate it --- it will not be a winning formula/rule/whatever for very long.
[/quote]
You'll have to come up with a better argument than that to get your hands on a free "profitable" strategy
[/quote]

well put it this way, explain how by telling the world the mechanics, the ins and outs the how to do of your winning "mechanical" trade, your EDGE.

and if that's not enough being very kind by giving it away in a nicely packaged in .baf rules file.

how will that not reduce the effectiveness and the life span of the winning rule/strategy?

it will not be a winning rules file for very long and its effectiveness will degrade rather sharpish once its been passed on and on and on.

giving edges away to anyone is a really dumb idea.
Last edited by to75ne on Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek27

sibur wrote:

I was going to say pretty much what Bobajob just said, it sounds like a bespoke job.

So you're basically setting the stake limits in the file and the user needs to identify themselves so the BAF file can have a condition: If User=Derek27 > StakeLimit = £2.00. :)

If the BAF file was encrypted so the user couldn't read it, how would the BA software read and execute it?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just increase your stakes and share out your profits with your friends?

Or just buy them a drink/meal/present. ;)
sibur

BA would have a private key it could use to decrypt,so internally it would be able to read and apply the rules, they just wouldn't be visible to the user. Now obviously, anyone can view their Betfair account and they can see the bets placed and they could do a bit of guessing as to what the strategy was about and perhaps try it out themselves but they won't know the triggers on what to apply or when to greenup and my experience says that makes ALL the difference.
Bobajob

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:14 pm
BA would have a private key it could use to decrypt,so internally it would be able to read and apply the rules, they just wouldn't be visible to the user. Now obviously, anyone can view their Betfair account and they can see the bets placed and they could do a bit of guessing as to what the strategy was about and perhaps try it out themselves but they won't know the triggers on what to apply or when to greenup and my experience says that makes ALL the difference.
Just out of interest what sport/sports, pre-play/in-play/or both does the strategy work
Derek27

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:14 pm
Rule files don't run on BA servers. They run on the user's machine. If the BAF file was sent to BA for decryption it would have to be sent back to the user's device decrypted so it could run. If it gets decrypted on the users machine the the private key would have to be on the user's machine, which isn't very secure.

Could you not just give the file to your friends on condition that they don't stake more than permitted and don't share the file? If you don't trust them why help them? :)
Bobajob

sibur wrote:

Sibur - you have been a bit "naive" with your reasoning - if you want to 'license' the BAF file you will need to move it out of the BA environment and convert it to the BF environment
sibur

You are funny :lol: :D
Anbell

sibur wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:51 pm
I have developed a strategy that is automated as a BAF and although it's early days, I have high hopes this could be lucrative for me. If that happens I'd quite like friends/family to benefit from it in a controlled way but the last thing I want to do is release the file, in fear that it finds its way to a wider population that would undoubtedly dilute it's effects.
What I'd like is to be able to protect the BAF so it can't be read, updated, there is limited log reporting and it can only be run by selected users. This could be implemented using encryption or hiding the logic behind a password. The ability to control via the API would be handy too.

I suspect there would be a lot of demand for this as it also offers opportunities for people who have developed working strategies to monetise their IP.
You should just increase the stakes and give your friends the money.
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:38 pm
You should just increase the stakes and give your friends the money.
That's exactly what I was just going to say.
ShaunWhite

Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:08 pm
This is the reason why I don't use VPS - for fear of it being "hacked"
A VPS is no more hackable than your home pc. I'd say less hackable in my case because to get to my vps they've first got to get through the AWS firewall.
Bobajob wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 pm
So how come all the current profitable strategies haven't been negated - bollocks
The effectiveness of strategies varies as variations emerge. Strategies die and are occassionally reborn over the course of months and years.That's a very well known fact so I'm not sure where your assertion comes from. How many years have you been full-time?
Derek27

I already suggested that. :D
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:07 pm
Wouldn't it be simpler to just increase your stakes and share out your profits with your friends?

Anbell

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:30 am
I already suggested that. :D
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:07 pm

Apologies mate

Return to “Suggestions”