Power Query - Tennis Results Downloader

paspuggie48

Another example of a Downloader to get data from embedded files on a website.

This time, Men's ATP & Women's WTA tennis results.

Some of you will be familiar with the website in question and there is a hyperlink to their Glossary 'LINK TO NOTES'.

MensTennis.PNG
WomensTennis.PNG

Tennis Results Downloader.xlsx

I wasn't able to download the file with all the results as it was too big to attach, so I have removed most of the rows of data to accommodate.

To update, simply right click anywhere in the green Tables and select "Refresh".

It should take less than 20 seconds to refresh both Tables to get the same number of results (as per my screenshots above)

Periodically when the website updates it's embedded worksheets repeat the refresh process on this tool.

Good luck !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timevoyager

Brilliant!

I've just discovered your posts regarding Power Query and it's... well... power!

Thanks for sharing all these ways to use Power Query, I definitely must learn to use it (New Year's resolution!)
CitizenEra5ed

Thanks for sharing. Ive tried updating but getting the following message - any idea what the issue is please?

Regards

Chris
2023-12-26_12-24-55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paspuggie48

timevoyager wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:35 am
Brilliant!

I've just discovered your posts regarding Power Query and it's... well... power!

Thanks for sharing all these ways to use Power Query, I definitely must learn to use it (New Year's resolution!)
Many thanks ;) 8-) ;)
paspuggie48

CitizenEra5ed wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:31 pm
Thanks for sharing. Ive tried updating but getting the following message - any idea what the issue is please?

Regards

Chris
Probably because of your privacy settings, check this thread viewtopic.php?f=83&t=28180
CitizenEra5ed

paspuggie48 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:45 am
CitizenEra5ed wrote:

Regards

Chris
Probably because of your privacy settings, check this thread viewtopic.php?f=83&t=28180
Have things changed with the latest version of Excel? (i am a 365 subscriber) - I've been looking for the best part of a week for how to update this chart you posted. I've followed your advice on the thread you linked to but cannot find Query Options > Privacy anywhere and it's doing my head in now!

I've looked at numerous posts online but every example i look at looks different to my Excel.

Any help greatfully received

Chris
CitizenEra5ed

I've managed to get it to update after much frustration but I'm seeing a data error with the ATP sheet - the WTA is fine.

Anybody else seeing this?

Chris
2023-12-31_20-04-37.jpg
paspuggie48

CitizenEra5ed wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:48 pm
paspuggie48 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:45 am
CitizenEra5ed wrote:

Regards

Chris
Have things changed with the latest version of Excel? (i am a 365 subscriber) - I've been looking for the best part of a week for how to update this chart you posted. I've followed your advice on the thread you linked to but cannot find Query Options > Privacy anywhere and it's doing my head in now!

I've looked at numerous posts online but every example i look at looks different to my Excel.

Any help greatfully received

Chris
Not sure why you cannot find it because all versions of Excel have this in the Query Options. Go to your Data Tab , then Get Data, then Query Options, then Privacy
paspuggie48

CitizenEra5ed wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:09 pm
I've managed to get it to update after much frustration but I'm seeing a data error with the ATP sheet - the WTA is fine.

Anybody else seeing this?

Chris

2023-12-31_20-04-37.jpg
I've updated it this morning and it works perfect. Have you opened Excel in Desktop version, not Online (web) version
CitizenEra5ed

it was the online version, I've now downloaded it/installled it on my Mac but still seeing the same issue with the ATP sheet - even after redownloading a fresh copy of the tennis results downloader. Any other ideas?

Regards

Chris
paspuggie48

CitizenEra5ed wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:25 pm
it was the online version, I've now downloaded it/installled it on my Mac but still seeing the same issue with the ATP sheet - even after redownloading a fresh copy of the tennis results downloader. Any other ideas?

Regards

Chris
Not sure, never used Mac. Not sure if it will work, as per the note below shows.
Capture.PNG
CitizenEra5ed

paspuggie48 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:01 pm
CitizenEra5ed wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:25 pm

Regards

Chris
Not sure, never used Mac. Not sure if it will work, as per the note below shows.

Capture.PNG
Thanks, it may be the Mac version that doesn't work properly then.

chris
croekk

The WTA data is incorrect. The 2023 season data repeats itself going all the way back to 2007.

Edit: Got around it by changing the links in the "Links" sheet.
paspuggie48

croekk wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:59 pm
The WTA data is incorrect. The 2023 season data repeats itself going all the way back to 2007.

Edit: Got around it by changing the links in the "Links" sheet.
Good spot, thanks ;) I found the error in my function and rectified (hopefully)

Tennis Results Downloader.xlsx

Return to “Excel Power Query”