URGENT - CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS - MINE HACKED AGAIN LAST NIGHT

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
hgodden

Someone broke in and has tried to withdraw to their Netteller account. I'm sorting it now, will update later.
LeTiss

I'm assuming the word 'tried' means they were unsuccessful - How do you know if somebody was trying to withdraw money from your account, is there a footprint you can trace?
Online Trader

Are you using 2 step authentication?
hgodden

LeTiss 4pm wrote:I'm assuming the word 'tried' means they were unsuccessful - How do you know if somebody was trying to withdraw money from your account, is there a footprint you can trace?
No they got in and and made a withdrawl to their netteller for 12k... Im waiting for fraud department to get back to me... was done last night at midnight.... hopefully I'm right in thinking things dont actually get sent out until 12-30 (as per betfair's security measures) or if not then there will seriously be hell to pay
LeTiss

£12k FUCK ME that's terrible news!

Am I right in thinking you've been done before?
hgodden

Just rang them again. According to the girl on the phone there is a 12 hour delay on withdrawls actually going out so apparantly I'm guaranteed to get it back, fortunate really since it was my whole bank!!

Yes it happened to me before LeTiss... fortunately I spotted it in time that time too and betfair gave me a new account username.

Since then I've been using a new dedicated PC that I only really use for betfair, I make sure I keep it very clean and secure.

Ever since the first time I've been locking the account after every usage and ringing them to reopen it when I need to use it again. Yesterday must have been about the 3rd time in the 2 years and 3 months that I got hacked into before that I have forgotten to lock it, and then it gets broken into!

Unbelievable. I really hope others aren't affected too again. Earlier there was a spate of these. It was actually hacked into from a UK IP address this time. This time I took down all the details before betfair suspended the account
hgodden

And just for the record, when I type my username / password in I do it in a very complicated way in order to confuse any keyloggers (which really shouldn't be on my PC anyway)
LeTiss

That seems beyond the realms of just bad luck, unless of course it's like the profile of a burglar who returns to the same house
Online Trader

If you are using 2-Step Authentication surely it is extremely hard for them to hack you?
Euler

Can you confirm if you are using two step authentication
hgodden

No I don't have two step on there. I've always locked the account when I'm not using it as I thought it would be safer.

I'll definately do both from now on.

They're sorting out a new account for me. Admin - is it ok if I send the new account username to you so that I can use Betangel with the new username instead of the old one which will now be defunkt?

I don't know if this is in any way connected to what happened before... last time it came from an IP address a long way away (I think I remember it was Puerto Rico). This time it was a UK IP address which I have and will be looking into (though might not be fruitfull, more about that later.) I also have their Netteller ID and will contact Netteller and all the authorities I can when I have chance.

The guy from the fraud department said that whoever did this was very clever in that they masked the IP address in a way that made it look to betfair like it was similar to mine so wouldn't be flagged (from what I can see it is on the same internet provider although is showing from the North West while I'm in the South East). So it may be that they could be from anywhere.

I asked the fraud department how often this is happening now and he said it was rare, but did clearly state also 'we are vulnerable to data'.
hgodden

One similarity between the two cases is that they both happened late at night. It was fortunate that I logged in here early this morning and saw that my balance was low. If I hadn't spotted it then by all accounts betfair's systems would not have flagged it and the money would have been sent out at midday. According to the fraud department the money would hit the Netteller account within a couple of hours after that. After that time I imagine it would be extremely difficult to get it back.

One thing I notice is that I didn't receive an alert email from betfair telling me that a new payment method had been added to my account (before this always happened.) I've alerted them to this (my email address wasn't changed by the fraudsters this time so that doesn't explain it, although it was last time to make sure I didn't see the alert email.

Whoever is doing this kind of thing is extremely sophisticated. I always, always check the My Security tab to check if someone has tried to log in to my account since it happened the first time, even when I have had the account locked, and this no attempted log ins from anyone other than myself have ever come up.... yet on only the third occassion that I forget to lock my account, suddenly this happens?!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hgodden

I hope this isn't the start of a spate of these. Before when it happened a lot of people were affected in a short space of time. Would be perfect timing for them as well considering we've got a perfect storm of the World Cup, Ascot and Wimbledon all converging. Many traders will have larger than usual banks at the moment so it's worth being even more cautious than usual so that this doesn't happen to you as well
Online Trader

I would say with 2 step authentication activated this would have been avoided.
hgodden

Online Trader wrote:I would say with 2 step authentication activated this would have been avoided.
Most likely, and I will get a smart phone and activate it.

But I think people should be aware of just how cunning these fraudsters seem to be. I have taken literally every other precaution under the sun and yet still they manage to get in

Return to “Betfair exchange”