URGENT - CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS - MINE HACKED AGAIN LAST NIGHT

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
BAP-Admin
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Send any username change to support via the helpdesk - http://betangel.kayako.com/
to75ne

h sorry to hear.

as well as locking your account, why dont you withdraw the bulk of your bank after each session, and then re-deposit at the next session?

i know its a pain/hassal but better than being 12 large down to a total scum bag.

even with 2 step authentication, i dont trust betfairs security at all, and i dont understand keeping large chunks of change in an account for any length of time.
LeTiss

I'll be interested to hear what hgodden thinks of how BF handled it - I've always got the impression they don't take fraud anywhere near as seriously as PC avoidance
gutuami

ask your ISP to change your IP address.
btw today is Fryday 13th.
to75ne

LeTiss 4pm wrote:I'll be interested to hear what hgodden thinks of how BF handled it - I've always got the impression they don't take fraud anywhere near as seriously as PC avoidance
yeah so would i; in my experience they were not interested at all. hopefully they have changed their attitude in the last couple of years
PeterLe

Holy Crap! Sorry to hear about the stress you must have been under sorting this out H.
I must admit, I don't have 2 Step Auth either (nor do my family/friends). I use long non standard passwords..which I thought would be very safe..but having read that its a no brainer.
Regards
Peter

Edit: Ive just checked how we use with Betangel; it was covered on one of Peter's blog posts here"-
http://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/2013/07 ... nt-leap-3/
PeterLe

Folks just set this up; two mins

Just a question to anyone who has more than one username..do you use just the single app on your smart phone for each account, or do you need to set them up separately in some way?
Thanks in advance
hgodden

Thanks guys...

to75ne - that wouldnt be practical unfortunately given how long a withdral takes to hit my bank account, I'd need several banks sat there. I will just make sure I lock my account immediately after using it EVERYTIME and also use 2 step.

The fraud department seem to take in seriously, at least on a personal level, but the impression I get from speaking to them is that they are helpless to stop it all. I suppose it is the same with the banks etc. All we can do is look out for ourselves unfortunately

Gutuami - I didn't know it was Friday the 13th! My IP is a floating IP and the one that logged in was clearly different to anyone investigating.. however it was enough to fool betfair's systems as it was on the same ISP as me. Now that I've looked closer it seems they actually did try to access the night before last as well when my account was locked without success, and perhaps even yesterday afternoon (the logins I don't recognize have red next to them)

Edit - I did post the IP addresses here but thanks to Golfer for pointing out that thats not a smart idea :) I'm not thinking straight at the moment after all this :!:
Last edited by hgodden on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Golfer

Hgodden I would cover any of your IP addresses in that picture.

I would also add I would like to see Betfair have the option to remove certain withdrawal methods.
andyfuller

There are a number of other measure BF should and could bring in a couple of examples:

Text and Email alerts is a very simple one. Most banks offer these now and can be user defined. For example, if my balance falls below X amount. If a withdrawal is done and most importantly if any changes are made to personal details such as email or phone number. I am amazed this isn't available to be honest.

Another thing is to have an option of delayed withdrawals by a user defined time period. So place a withdrawal, you get an alert and then the withdrawal doesn't go through for x days.

Obviously all on an opt in basis.
hgodden

andyfuller wrote:
Text and Email alerts is a very simple one. Most banks offer these now and can be user defined. For example, if my balance falls below X amount. If a withdrawal is done and most importantly if any changes are made to personal details such as email or phone number.
I think that would be a great idea. I did set up a similar system myself where Id get a text alert from my email when betfair emailed me, but that wouldn't have worked this time as betfair hadn't even sent an email when a new payment method was added!
gutuami

It might be that your email account was hacked as well. Better change all your passwords that you use frequently.
PeterLe

PeterLe wrote:Folks just set this up; two mins

Just a question to anyone who has more than one username..do you use just the single app on your smart phone for each account, or do you need to set them up separately in some way?
Thanks in advance
In case anyone is interested in this, i found out that you can have more than one username protected using a single smart phone..You simply repeat the process for each account, ie scanning the QR code etc..it shows an authentication number for each account you have when you open the authenticator app on your smart phone. Ive just edited the tag associated with each authentication number with my username so I know which number is for which account
regards
Peter
Galilee66

Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I lock my BF account? I noticed that HGodden mentioned that he usually locks his account. How do I do this?

Thanks
Galilee66
hgodden

Galilee66 wrote:Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I lock my BF account? I noticed that HGodden mentioned that he usually locks his account. How do I do this?

Thanks
Galilee66
Put your password in wrong several times and your account will immediately be locked and unacceptable.

Ring betfair on 0344 871 0000 to unlock when you want to use it again

Return to “Betfair exchange”