URGENT - CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS - MINE HACKED AGAIN LAST NIGHT

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Zapata

Do you think that could have been an artificial Betfair login screen put on my computer via a cookie? because if they can do that now they would see the password whether generator created or not.
JollyGreen

Zapata wrote:Do you think that could have been an artificial Betfair login screen put on my computer via a cookie? because if they can do than now they would see the password whether generator created or not.
I think that was merely a glitch on Chrome, I have seen it myself at times. The password software recognises the correct URL so if a false page is created it will not fill in the data as the mismatch in the URL will prevent it.
andyfuller

JollyGreen wrote: The only way someone could get your master password is for them to get hold of your Laptop/PC and then try to hack the password. The supplying company has no access to your master password, all encryption is performed locally hence the hacker needed direct access to your machine.

If you add in a Yubikey, they need to have your machine, your Yubikey and then they also have to hack your master password.
Cheers for that mate, I will look into it as sounds a much better system.
Zapata

JollyGreen wrote:
Zapata wrote:Do you think that could have been an artificial Betfair login screen put on my computer via a cookie? because if they can do than now they would see the password whether generator created or not.
I think that was merely a glitch on Chrome, I have seen it myself at times. The password software recognises the correct URL so if a false page is created it will not fill in the data as the mismatch in the URL will prevent it.
Thanks JG, I'll ignore anything remotely strange.
Zenyatta

I'm amazed that you didn't have 2-step authentication set-up. It's very simple and easy and should be more or less fool-proof, no need for any other elaborate precautions.
TheRiddler

Zenyatta wrote:I'm amazed that you didn't have 2-step authentication set-up. It's very simple and easy and should be more or less fool-proof, no need for any other elaborate precautions.
It is a simple process but not if you do not have a smartphone, ipad, etc. and I believe baz is a person who takes care of his pennies even if in this instance it may have cost him thousands of pounds.
tomallen123

Received an email about 6-8 weeks ago (can't find it now) from betfair telling me my answer to my security question had been changed. Thought it was just another fake, although I hadn't received one like this before, but rang betfair just on the off chance it was real. Amazingly enough, my security question answer had been changed and the security department couldn't tell me how it happened. Checked the IP addresses in my account for previous logins and they were all mine, so no idea what happened. Now I make sure to empty my account every day and re-deposit the next time I'm trading.

I have google 2 step authentication and a strong password.
andyfuller

I know this is an old thread, perhaps not the correct one to link to, but I thought this Saturday's BBC Radio 4 Money Box would be well worth a listen to and be of interest to people although not directly referring to betting sites:

How mobile phone firms can hold the key to bank security

Mobile phones and banking security.

Before you do any major online banking transaction your bank may send you a text with a code to enter on the website. This 'two step authentication' acts as protection against criminals who have obtained our banking details. But cyber crooks are nothing if not inventive and they have found a weakness in the two step which they are exploiting. Hear the tapes of how they did it. And transferred two large payments from one Money Box listener's account.

http://bbc.in/236ai26
hgodden

Thanks Andy

Return to “Betfair exchange”