Betfair data request charges

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
ec0n0mist

Hi,

Does anyone know whether Betfair still charge people for excessive data requests?

I want to enable the 'use exchange streaming' function and enjoy the '20ms' refresh rate over the '200ms' I was using on the previous BA edition. Not sure whether this is connected to data requests volume though.

Any advice?
Dallas

Betfair got rid of the 20 data requests per second a few years ago and since then you have been able to refresh as many markets and using any refresh rate you want.

They actually prefere people to use streaming as it places less stress on there servers, the only charge to be aware of is the transaction charge
https://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopi ... 47&t=11378
ec0n0mist

Wow! I didn't realize streaming covered forum responses as well. Thanks for the heads-up on the number of bets per hour allowed and the ultra-quick reply :)
Willygubbins

Hi, Just after some clarification, What exactly is considered a data request by betfair? is it just physical bets placed? so for example if it had an auto file on bet ngel that collected info without placing any bets this would make any data requests?
Thanks
Derek27

As far as I understand, Betfair have scrapped data request charges. You still get charged transaction charges if you place more than 1000 bets in an hour.

http://www.betfair.com/www/GBR/en/about ... r.Charges/#
SeaHorseRacing

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:32 pm
As far as I understand, Betfair have scrapped data request charges. You still get charged transaction charges if you place more than 1000 bets in an hour.

I went over a thousand about a year ago messing around with a bot. I got no charges, whether they let me off I have no idea...
spreadbetting

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:32 pm

I went over a thousand about a year ago messing around with a bot. I got no charges, whether they let me off I have no idea...
Depends how much you won/lost that day and how many transactions you went over the 1000 limit. Transaction charges get offset against your generated commission for that day. So say you generated £10 in commission for them they'd allow you an excess of 1000 (10 *100) bets over the limit for the day before being charged the difference. Basically they only want to stop the players who place loads of speculative or low value bets that don't bring them in any commission.
xitian

Willygubbins wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 am
so for example if it had an auto file on bet ngel that collected info without placing any bets this would make any data requests?
There would be no transaction fees, but after a while Betfair will restrict your account as they don't want people collecting market data and not placing bets.

Just search "restricted account" on the forum. Betfair have become a lot more strict about it recently.
Derek27

xitian wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Willygubbins wrote:
so for example if it had an auto file on bet ngel that collected info without placing any bets this would make any data requests?
There would be no transaction fees, but after a while Betfair will restrict your account as they don't want people collecting market data and not placing bets.

Just search "restricted account" on the forum. Betfair have become a lot more strict about it recently.
Would continuously using training mode using the streaming API bother Betfair, as there's less strain on their servers?
LinusP

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:47 pm
xitian wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Willygubbins wrote:

Would continuously using training mode using the streaming API bother Betfair, as there's less strain on their servers?
Don't think there has been an example where someone has been banned because of this but BA does other requests as well which Betfair may look at such as marketCatalogue, accountDetails (Balance), navigation lists etc.
renoo

been over the 1000 transactions per hour consistently now for the past couple of days if the betangel counter is accurate, my staking doesnt quite cover the 1p per transaction at the moment.
Will they charge straight away or will there be a notification first?
Are they quite strict on this, any experience? thanks
Euler

Usually charge overnight. I'm often over 1k but rarely get charged as it's offset against commission.
renoo

but will there be an email with it the first time or a breakdown of it? was thinking to not adjust my betting until the first payment...
Dallas

renoo wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:37 am
but will there be an email with it the first time or a breakdown of it? was thinking to not adjust my betting until the first payment...
Judging by the past posts on here when people have been hit by it they never got an advanced warning
Derek27

The Australian turnover charge is the only charge I'm aware of where you get a week's warning and grace period.

Return to “Betfair exchange”