HACKED Money removed from my account

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
ANGELS15

robinburks wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:25 pm
Just had my betfair account hacked yesterday lost £575.00 bad news
The other posters have asked some important questions - but a quick observation: assuming the person who did this didn't simply placed bets which would be pointless if they couldn't get the winnings themselves (there was a story many years ago of a thief who stole a woman's credit card and used it to bet but the bets won, the card was cancelled and when reinstated she had more money than previously!) But what I'm getting at is in order to simply withdraw the money they would need to add a new payment method and then would have had to have deposited enough from that payment method to withdraw bacj to it?
LeTiss

The reason I asked if they were using it to bet with, is because of a well known scam from Betfair fraudsters.

They would find a weak liquidity market, and use the defruaded account to place a bet on a selection that had no chance of winning, and then use their own account to lay that bet. The defrauded account is emptied, and their own account reaps the rewards

Our friend Jean Delesse used this tactic
Derek27

I'm not sure if he wants advice or is just posting news. Member for two-and-a-half years, first post, yet to log back in.
PDC

LinusP wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 pm
2) Do you have 2 step authenticator?
I've never used 2 step authenticator as I have 3 computers and log in twice a day, but how would you gain access if you lost your mobile phone and do you also have to use the two steps to log into Betfair live video?
You can set it to remember your device.
I never do this as my thinking, which may well be wrong, is that if some one had a key logger installed on my device they would be able to get my username and password and then if they had some back door way of controlling my device they could still access my account. Maybe I am over thinking it all though and this isn't possible, I find it quite quick and painless to use the 2 step each and every time I log in.

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 pm
how would you gain access if you lost your mobile phone
As has been said you are given 10 back up codes, these can be stored as paper print outs or you could say keep them in the cloud so that you can access them from anywhere.

Also a solution to the phone getting lost if you trade from just the one location would be to use an old mobile phone that you keep in the drawer of your desk and only use for 2 Step.
george

Last 2 times i broke my mobile screen i used the online help chat at befair webpage and i asked them to disable the 2 step verification on my account so i can log in.

For the moment i use Winath

https://winauth.github.io/winauth/index.html

which i install on my pc , this software is password protected and works the same as the android version of windows authenticator
BetScalper

ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 am
robinburks wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:25 pm
Just had my betfair account hacked yesterday lost £575.00 bad news
The other posters have asked some important questions - but a quick observation: assuming the person who did this didn't simply placed bets which would be pointless if they couldn't get the winnings themselves (there was a story many years ago of a thief who stole a woman's credit card and used it to bet but the bets won, the card was cancelled and when reinstated she had more money than previously!) But what I'm getting at is in order to simply withdraw the money they would need to add a new payment method and then would have had to have deposited enough from that payment method to withdraw bacj to it?
Not exactly true.

Example:

- Someone removes the current card on your account and informs BF that its been lost or stolen.
- Someone then adds a new card to your account and removes your money.

I actually deposited £1,000 to my BF account, made no withdrawal's, did lose my card, cancelled it, removed it from BF and then added a new card and withdrew nearly £800 back to the card. So, it can be done. Now, what actual checks BF carry out behind the scenes I have no clue about. All I had to do was send an email and explain the situation.
ANGELS15

Ok
ANGELS15

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:12 am
I'm not sure if he wants advice or is just posting news. Member for two-and-a-half years, first post, yet to log back in.
Betscalper made an interesting response to my observations but what would be useful is if the original poster elaborated on what happened. Another theory perhaps he can't respond at present. You need a betfair log in to enter Bet Angel site, If Betfair suspend someone's account pending an investigation that may expain why he hasn't responded?
ANGELS15

ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 am
Derek27 wrote:
Betscalper made an interesting response to my observations but what would be useful is if the original poster elaborated on what happened. Another theory perhaps he can't respond at present. You need a betfair log in to enter Bet Angel site, If Betfair suspend someone's account pending an investigation that may expain why he hasn't responded?
By the way I must stress I'm not implying in any way he's done anything wrong or fraudulent just wondering whether Betfair may do this for the user's security.
Derek27

ANGELS15 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
You need a Betfair account to use Bet Angel but certainly not to log into this site - you have a separate username and password (I hope AngelS15 isn't your Betfair user name. ;) ).

There's no shortage of people on this forum who are willing to help and people have reported that Betfair have on occasions refunded defrauded users. I'd be having a good rant on here if it happened to me. ;)
ANGELS15

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 am
ANGELS15 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
You need a Betfair account to use Bet Angel but certainly not to log into this site - you have a separate username and password (I hope AngelS15 isn't your Betfair user name. ;) ).

Correct! it isn't my Betfair user name! thanks for clarification

There's no shortage of people on this forum who are willing to help and people have reported that Betfair have on occasions refunded defrauded users. I'd be having a good rant on here if it happened to me. ;)
inspiron

My account was hacked. I did tennis match trade few days ago in the midnight. Went to sleep and go to work. 19h later I was trying to login and he asked me for 2step aut. I went to chat helpdesk. They transfer me several times to specific person who asked me tons of qiestions to be sure it's me. Those answers could knew only me. Like my last deposit. Last bet even I'm doing allot of bets I was sure about this tennis match it was 0 profit at the end. I told them how much money is on my account, I missed it in 3€ excact and few cents. My last 4digit from card etc.... when he was sure it's me, I did recover my pass. Username and pass was only for BF and no other sites. When I did login my account was 0.85€. First I tought it was for security reason from Berfair just to make sure it's still me. But after checking profit loss it was bet maded at 1.01 on basketball match 3h after I went to sleep and bet was lost. I remebered that there was IP that could be checked. Two times they connect from Italy and then 2hours later couple of times from UK. I have told this person on helpdesk instantly what's going on. He was still online. After that I'm on standby. 3 days later. What to excpect? What are the chances to get my money?
Interesting fact was that IP conected to my account early in the morning from Italy and UK are probably from the VPS.
BUT IP CONNECTED TO MY ACCOUNT IN THE MORNING FEW HOURS LATER AFTER BET WAS MATCHED WAS THE SAME IP ADRESS AS BETFAIR IP CONNECTED TO MY ACCOUNT WHEN I DID CONTACTED THEM AND THEY DID LOGIN TO CHECK MY ACCOUNT.
If they saw something suspicious in the morning 11h before me. Why they didn't closed account from this person instantly and stoped him from closing account and withdrawing money to neteller or skrill. Or any other payment method. They should contact me and ask what's going on? I can't fly from my country to Italy and UK in 3hours.
Will they refund my account? Any experience?
Archery1969

inspiron wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:53 am
My account was hacked. I did tennis match trade few days ago in the midnight. Went to sleep and go to work. 19h later I was trying to login and he asked me for 2step aut. I went to chat helpdesk. They transfer me several times to specific person who asked me tons of qiestions to be sure it's me. Those answers could knew only me. Like my last deposit. Last bet even I'm doing allot of bets I was sure about this tennis match it was 0 profit at the end. I told them how much money is on my account, I missed it in 3€ excact and few cents. My last 4digit from card etc.... when he was sure it's me, I did recover my pass. Username and pass was only for BF and no other sites. When I did login my account was 0.85€. First I tought it was for security reason from Berfair just to make sure it's still me. But after checking profit loss it was bet maded at 1.01 on basketball match 3h after I went to sleep and bet was lost. I remebered that there was IP that could be checked. Two times they connect from Italy and then 2hours later couple of times from UK. I have told this person on helpdesk instantly what's going on. He was still online. After that I'm on standby. 3 days later. What to excpect? What are the chances to get my money?
Interesting fact was that IP conected to my account early in the morning from Italy and UK are probably from the VPS.
BUT IP CONNECTED TO MY ACCOUNT IN THE MORNING FEW HOURS LATER AFTER BET WAS MATCHED WAS THE SAME IP ADRESS AS BETFAIR IP CONNECTED TO MY ACCOUNT WHEN I DID CONTACTED THEM AND THEY DID LOGIN TO CHECK MY ACCOUNT.
If they saw something suspicious in the morning 11h before me. Why they didn't closed account from this person instantly and stoped him from closing account and withdrawing money to neteller or skrill. Or any other payment method. They should contact me and ask what's going on? I can't fly from my country to Italy and UK in 3hours.
Will they refund my account? Any experience?
Have you been travelling and accessing BF via Wifi in hotels, airports, coffee shops or any other public place ?
Euler

Did you not have two step authentication set up?
inspiron

No, only on PC and Laptop from my home. If they hacked one of those. They hack all my passowrds and everything. It was only for Betfair. All other accounts would probably noticed me that new device is conected or trying to be conected.
I have seen last week few atempts trying to log in to to my twiter account. But after several tryes they stopped doing this. And username there and pass is different.
For sure person who did hacked my account on BF is familliar with fund passing.
Random person or random hacker will need a few days to figure out what Betfair is. You can be the best hacker but still betfair can't be learned in 3hours. Open other account to transfer money and Verify all your skrill or neteller accounts and betfair before withdrawing. It will take you more than 3 hours. So this guy who did this, is only hacking BF accounts.
No two step, I didn't use it for BF never. Probably my mistake but this is cyber criminal for sure. And this guy now can call me or treat me, he saw my adress. So there should be police involved!!

Return to “Betfair exchange”