HACKED Money removed from my account

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
suff22886

Hello guys has anybody ever had this happen to them? i checked my email this morning to see that my betfair password had changed. i went on betfair and it was correct i couldnt log in, i changed my password and my account balance is £0.88 :-( £800 removed.

Has anybody had this happen to them? ive spoke to the "contact us" and waiting for the security team to get in touch with me.

Yesterday afternoon £10 was deposited to my account from a skrill account, then later that evening the whole balance was withdrawn to a skrill account. i asked them what skrill account and they say my skrill account is listed. The only issue with that is my skrill account was deactivated years ago.
Ive tried to access my skrill account but its deactivated.
Dallas

I've not experienced it but hope you get it sorted out quickly
Out of curiosity did you have 2-step authentication enabled?

If not I'd recommend using it as a extra layer of security
Euler

That's unfortunate, but they must have had access to some confidential details to do that you would think.

It's best to have two-step authentication set up to avoid anything like this happening in future. Guess you will have to wait for Betfair security to do their work on the account but it seems rare that Betfair reverse these things.
weemac

How do these people get into your account in the first place? I think the account gets locked after 5 incorrect password attempts. How can they know the password?
Dallas

weemac wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm
How do these people get into your account in the first place? I think the account gets locked after 5 incorrect password attempts. How can they know the password?
People can often have there account compromised when connecting via a public WiFi especially if doing so from certain countries were hotels etc have little security in place
LeTiss

That's dreadful, I feel totally gutted for you :evil:

5 quick questions though:

1) Do you have 2 step authentication installed?
2) Have you previously changed the password recently?
3) Do you have similar passwords across a number of online accounts?
4) Is your security OK and updated?
5) Do you log onto Betfair from secure locations?
BetScalper

weemac wrote:
There's a piece of software which sits on your machine and looks for certain URL to be actioned. Once they are then it records your login details etc and sends them to whoever installed the software on your machine.

You can setup this software and tailor it what too look for and where to send the results too.

I can't remember the name of it but the Police and Banks are fully aware of it.

Use to know I guy who got done for fraud and he use to remote install it on peoples machines without them knowing via an unlocked port number.
Derek27

Contact Skrill and explain the situation. If they can't stop the money being taken out of your account they may be able to trace it.
Derek27

BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm
weemac wrote:
There's a piece of software which sits on your machine and looks for certain URL to be actioned. Once they are then it records your login details etc and sends them to whoever installed the software on your machine.

You can setup this software and tailor it what too look for and where to send the results too.

Use to know I guy who got done for fraud and he use to remote install it on peoples machines without them knowing via an unlocked port number.
You make it sound as though everybody has this software installed on their machine by default!

You're talking about a trojan that most people won't have and can be prevented with good security.
LeTiss

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:39 pm
Contact Skrill and explain the situation. If they can't stop the money being taken out of your account they may be able to trace it.
Yes, that's worth a try

Many years back, I had £900 taken from my bank account. I phoned my bank and all they could say was it used with Marshall Ward online.
I was so bloody incensed, I couldn't leave it to their security team, so I contacted Marshall Ward, and after kicking up a fuss, I eventually got put through to their security team

Good job I did, once I told them it was fraud, they stopped the irder being processed and returned the money

My bank were still scratching their heads and asses
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm
weemac wrote:

You make it sound as though everybody has this software installed on their machine by default!

You're talking about a trojan that most people won't have and can be prevented with good security.
Didn't mean too.

Usually its an email.

But if you have a port open on your machine then they can randomly target you remotely by scanning router addresses.

PS. Its called SKYWALKER and nothing to do with the film franchise.
Derek27

My knowledge on computer security is way out of date but I would expect a firewall to keep unused ports closed and warn you of port scanning attempts, that is, hackers trying to connect with each port in turn.
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:07 pm
My knowledge on computer security is way out of date but I would expect a firewall to keep unused ports closed and warn you of port scanning attempts, that is, hackers trying to connect with each port in turn.
They don't by default. That's why so many get caught put.

Port 631 is open, used by printers but can still be used by hackers.
ShaunWhite

BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm
You seem to know a lot about it, and a pal who was done for fraud too. I won't be downloading any files you put on here !
BetScalper

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm
You seem to know a lot about it, and a pal who was done for fraud too. I won't be downloading any files you put on here !
:lol:

I worked in IT for awhile with Cisco routers. Its common knowledge.

Return to “Betfair exchange”