Commission effect and comparison

The purple place, the most viable alternative to the Betfair exchange
spreadbetting

stueytrader wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:25 pm
In terms of possible prices and volume there's not much between the two exchanges, the only real difference is % commission, which is much better from Daq than BF.

Still not really seen any reason someone wanting a bet would choose to pay more to do exactly the same bet...it's paying more for almost identical products.
If that were truly the case surely all successful traders woud be clambering to get over there, too.

You also mention the % commission is much better but if you have a relatively large turnover, which is much easier for punters than traders, you can get your comm rate down to the 2% BD charge anyway. I guess we can all speculate but you'd have to be asking those punters why to get the full answer.
invisiblelayer

Punters don't have a problem getting on betting late into racing markets on the purple site but it's dead and a waste of time if trying to get on lunchtime, forget mornings also. You'll only get matched if putting bad bets up so some cross exchange bot can match you on Betfair. I've used them a few times last few months and found this out and was exactly the same 10 years or so ago when used them, one thing I will say though had same day payments back so pretty rapid. Good viable option for traders and punters betting late into markers
stueytrader

I'd agree that the early market is a lot weaker for sure than BF.

But that simply means picking your time to get on (moving to a little later) - a massive hardship when it could mean masses less in commission paid long run?

Yes, it is possible to grind down to that level of 2% on BF, but only if you are very large scale - majority of punters would be nowhere near that.
spreadbetting

But savvy punters want to get on from their own value prices not when the prices are fully formed at the off. Plus I think you're overestimating how hard it is to get a lower comm rate. As a trader you'd be taking small wins/losses but as a punter it's full wins and stakes losses.

Do you do all your punting and trading now on Betdaq?
stueytrader

Not all, but certainly moving more recently towards it.

Partly because a lot of my traded positions leave greens/reds, which are certainly far heavily more 'taxed' when done at BF.
stueytrader

Just to mention:

Even going 0% (tax free, old days ay) first race at Cheltenham today....
jimibt

how have you been finding the liquidity for the bigger positions on a day to day basis?
stueytrader

It's not great earlier doors must admit, but closer been getting matched ok - I'm not exactly one of the biggest stakers around, lol, so wouldn't want to answer for those that want 1000's on every time, though it picks up nicely close to the off for certain.
jimibt

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:43 am
It's not great earlier doors must admit, but closer been getting matched ok - I'm not exactly one of the biggest stakers around, lol, so wouldn't want to answer for those that want 1000's on every time, though it picks up nicely close to the off for certain.
I'm not a huge fan of stats based strats, however, i do have one that places a small number of bets daily that might benefit from a lower commission rate. these bets are placed with no offset (i.e. the stats are gunning for a binary outcome). I'm imagining that on BetDAQ, you'd have little issue, closer to the time, in getting matched on stakes of £200-300 on better quality races?
stueytrader

jimibt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 am
stueytrader wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of stats based strats, however, i do have one that places a small number of bets daily that might benefit from a lower commission rate. these bets are placed with no offset (i.e. the stats are gunning for a binary outcome). I'm imagining that on BetDAQ, you'd have little issue, closer to the time, in getting matched on stakes of £200-300 on better quality races?
Oh certainly nearer the off getting a few hundred on in better races is no problem I'd say.
jimibt

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 am
jimibt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 am
stueytrader wrote:
Oh certainly nearer the off getting a few hundred on in better races is no problem I'd say.
that's good news and something to bear in mind...
stueytrader

Cheltenham a classic example of exactly my question re punters (and poss traders too).

Battleoverdoyen first race 1.30 - available at 5.7 on BF but already available to back on Betdaq at 5.8

The BF price is taxed at commission rate (plus whatever else), the Daq price is available currently at 0% commission.

But it sits there for some time on Daq, while people try to get on at BF..... :?

Return to “Betdaq exchange”