How to go to bigger stake

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
bimbi

Hi everyone.

I have to say ,for the last few days Im kind a not losing many trades anymore ,means may be 2/3 Im winnig for now and getting better and better.So ,thats the good news.The problem is ,how to increase the stake .Is there any right way of increasing the stakes,if anyone know.Appreciate every answer.Thank you.Im doing really well on 2 £ stake.
Derek27

Hi Bimbi,

Stakes should be proportional to you capital and should increase gradually as your capital grows.

Mathematically, if your capital grows 10%, your stakes should grow likewise. When trading however, it would be awkward to increase £2 stakes to £2.20, so it may be easier to increase stakes by 50% when you bank increases as such.

When you say you're doing well on £2 stakes, I hope you don't mean that literally ?

Whatever the size of your bank, stakes should be in proportion to the price and range of trade. I sometimes trade just a few quid if I'm laying at 80 and backing at 120, but if I'm trading between 3.1 and 3.3 I'd use much bigger stakes.

Hope this helps and good luck with your trading,

Derek
bimbi

Thanks very much for the valuable advise,Derek
ShaunWhite

Don't get too hung up on exactly what stake you're using. Allow it to grow organically. If you're trading profitably you'll naturally want to use larger amounts. Just make sure you use smaller amounts again if you start losing rather than going even bigger to try and get it back. The % of capital method Derek27 explained is designed to keep you aware of that.

Yo willl also start to see which opportunities could be taken with larger stakes, and which are best kept to your small stakes. You won't be using £2 * xy or z everywhere. As Derek said that could be because of the odds (P/L per tick), or it could be down to your confidence in a familiar/unfamiliar situation.

Larger stakes also allow you to experiment with increasing and decreasing your liability during the life of the trade rather than just entering and exitting the whole stake. Eg enter with £2, if the market starts to move as you expected add another £2, the market hesitates...so maybe take £2 out etc. Ebb and flow with your confidence in the situation. I found this the natural way to increase my stakes. I stayed on £2 and just had 1 or several £2 'clicks' depending on my confidence. When I realised that I'd been having £4 or £6+ on most markets, I changed my size to £5, and then did the same thing again with 1, then gradually or more clicks.

Whatever you do, just make sure the stake you are using is a comfortable but meaningful amount. If you go too large, or too small, it'll affect your psycology. With that in mind you might start doing things like beginning and ending a session small and going bigger in the middle. That way you won't start badly or ruin a good day, and you'll make the most of the middle of the session when patterns might be starting to emerge.

It's certainly a topic that could fill a book so I hope I've given you a few ideas. It's not one size fits all so find what works for you.
bimbi

Thanks very much,Shaun White.Very helpful .Thanks again.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”