Stop loss

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
BuckHouse

Hi - I've been avidly watching the videos, etc, and started trading using Bet Angel a couple of weeks ago. I am hitting a good strike rate of positive events (nearly 80%) but losing overall. Losses are disproportionately large compared to wins and my finger just won't click on the button to stop the loss once it heads in that direction as I expect/hope it will turn (hope is not a strategy I know!). From the vids this is a common issue and I think I will overcome it as I am very aware of it. Psychology of not wanting to take the loss I guess, and grabbing the profit too quickly also in case I lose it.
I wondered if setting an automatic stop loss on each trade, say five ticks, would help me for now? Or am I better off just practising getting into the discipline of closing out the loss myself manually?
Anyone got any advice?
Dallas

If your struggling to accept the losses at the moment then yes using a stop loss should certainly help take the emotion out of it for you.

Ideally, in time, you want to be setting stops (exiting) based on a trade breaking down rather than a monetary or tick number but one thing at a time for now
BuckHouse

Thanks Dallas. Will try that for a few days and post how I do.
Derek27

You're showing your age Buck House. Wasn't it the 1983 Supreme Novices' Hurdle that you won? ;)
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm
Ideally, in time, you want to be setting stops (exiting) based on a trade breaking down rather than a monetary or tick number but one thing at a time for now
To accelerate that process, instead of using an automated stop loss that's unlikely to suit all situations, try using the right-click stop loss feature. Be mindful though that if the price gets close, small spikes or general noise might trigger it.
BuckHouse

Thanks for the hints there. Yes, want to set the loss just outside the general noise, I’ll play around with some tests at different points and see if I can get something that helps my numbers a bit.
BuckHouse

Lol @ showing my age. I read about Buck House in a history book... lol :roll:
Halliday

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 pm
You're showing your age Buck House. Wasn't it the 1983 Supreme Novices' Hurdle that you won? ;)
He did indeed

https://youtu.be/TB17lQbXjzI

And had a memorable tussle with Dawn Run at Punchestown a few years later

https://youtu.be/Dhai8xzEi0k
CallumPerry

BuckHouse wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am
A book? Is that the word processor thing made out of paper?
Derek27

BuckHouse wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am
In that case, I'm showing my age!

I bunked off school to watch that, and I'll never forget that saddle and cloth getting chucked 30-feet in the air, presumably by an exited stable lad as Buck House stormed up the hill!

I hope they got the health & safety police onto him - I wouldn't have liked it landing on my head! :lol:
BuckHouse

Can’t get the offset and trailing stop to place the bets. Have selected the drop down, set some numbers but it is not activating the stops on completion of my initial bet. Do I need to do something in settings? (Using free trial version trader v4.1)
Dallas

BuckHouse wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:16 pm
Can’t get the offset and trailing stop to place the bets. Have selected the drop down, set some numbers but it is not activating the stops on completion of my initial bet. Do I need to do something in settings? (Using free trial version trader v4.1)
Ensure you have enabled 'Global settings' by having the blue cog icon uncrossed
BuckHouse

Thanks, that did it
rjwills

Could anyone tell me how to place a non-hedged stop loss, so that if the odds went against me, a level stake bet is placed rather than greening. TIA for any help.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”