Newbie Scalping using the Ladder

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Darkpond1967

Hi All,

A couple of questions which I haven't seen answered in any of the videos.

On the ladder, does the colour of the arrow above the odds column indicate whether you should back or lay? I notice that with rising odds the colour is pink possibly indicating you should lay and falling blue indicating you should back? Or are these just colours and mean nothing?

Also, if i put a couple of trades into the market and then for example the phone rings so I close and green up those. If i then go back and put another couple of trades in and then close and green up before the start what actually happens?

Could I in theory do one trade and green it up, do another green that up and so on, does it work that way?

Thanks guys
ShaunWhite

You can do as many backs and lays as you want in whatever sequence you want. A 'greening' transaction is just a back or a lay with the stake calculated to provide an equal return. Do one or do ten, it's your decision.

It would be quite normal for someone to close their position if they were distracted, and then continue afterwards.

The only consideration imo when greening is that you are dividing your win on that selection by the exit price. A lower exit price is therefore beneficial, but that's probably beyond the scope of your question.

I'm not quite sure which arrow you mean but I suspect it's indicating the direction of the weight of money (aka WoM) BA doesn't have anything that specifically suggests which direction to trade. That said, sports traders tend to use a variety of indicators such as charts, what's happening on the ladder, and other indicators like WoM to form an opinion. If there were such things as simple buy/sell signals, then trading would be simple and whoever designed it would be slightly crazy to give it away.

If you're scalping then you actually need indicators that suggest the market will remain static rather than look at short term ups and downs to make a tick.

I don't know what experience you have but I think scalping can be a bit of a baptism by fire. Perhaps consider looking for longer time span longer moves. It's so easy to wipe out 5 ticks of scalping profit with a sudden 10 tick adverse move if you're not sure what the market is doing.
Darkpond1967

Hi Shaun,

Thank you very much for replying that was very helpful. I am finding it a bit difficult to manage when the market starts to swing wildly and have been caught out a few times. I'm only using £2 stakes at the moment though so the losses are not huge.

I don't think that I have seen any tutorials on trading over a longer period yet, I get what you mean but not sure how to actually do that.

Sean
Dallas

There are a variety of methods of trading in this playlist including several long term/swing trades that Shaun was referring to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAzrpvv ... ZUDAot_BoD
Darkpond1967

Hi Dallas and ShaunWhite,

Thanks for that, just about to look at the YouTube vid Dallas posted a link to. Still doing the ladder to scalp and i'm getting better at reading market i think, still make mistakes though.

I do have another question, if I put 2 trades through, 1 back 1 lay, both matched, then green up why do i end with another trade in the matched bets? If I've backed and layed and then just left it what would/could happen?

Sean
Dallas

Darkpond1967 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 pm
Hi Dallas and ShaunWhite,

Thanks for that, just about to look at the YouTube vid Dallas posted a link to. Still doing the ladder to scalp and i'm getting better at reading market i think, still make mistakes though.

I do have another question, if I put 2 trades through, 1 back 1 lay, both matched, then green up why do i end with another trade in the matched bets? If I've backed and layed and then just left it what would/could happen?

Sean
You other matched bets is the greening bet which spreads your profit or loss equally across all selections, if you just left it ie, back then layed with the same stake you'd have all your profit or loss on just that selection and all others would be zero.

The following two posts should be useful for you and explain it fuller

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11408
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11572

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”