Can I take the exact current volume offered at a certain price?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
jamesedwards

Hi all. Is there a way to take the entire offered volume at a certain price without any balance carrying over to create a position waiting to be matched? eg if there is £531 at 2.0 and £401 at 1.99 can I take the £531 without taking any of the 1.99 volume and without creating a position waiting to be matched at 2.0?
Dallas

If you mean when manually trading then no, unless you edit/change your stake ahead of the bet and with automation it could only be done using Excel
eightbo

Dallas wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 pm
If you mean when manually trading then no, unless you edit/change your stake ahead of the bet and with automation it could only be done using Excel
Potentially a useful feature for manual trading, no?

Enable a separate stake for "Match Offered Amount" (MOA) or something similar.

User places one-click bet BA queries £ available at relevant price BA sets stake BA submits bet

As BA already knows the amounts available, there should be virtually no delay.
Derek27

Don't really see the point of it as the market can change or move in 20ms.

There may be more money available a split-second after you've taken it, or perhaps this is about quieter markets that I don't trade?
eightbo

Imagine a large bet appears at a price which is obvious value, it will be snapped up quickly.
If you're on a lesser stake than that the amount available (and are happy to take on the additional risk), you've got to faff around changing your stake before you can take advantage (or mash mouse1 which also isn't optimal). Now contrast that with the user simply pressing a hotkey assigned to such a function.

It'd be possible that the amount drastically increased and exceeded the risk you're happy taking on.
To address this, the user could define a "max" liability amount.

Could be useful as optional functionality.
Derek27

eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:09 am
Imagine a large bet appears at a price which is obvious value, it will be snapped up quickly.
If you're on a lesser stake than that the amount available (and are happy to take on the additional risk), you've got to faff around changing your stake before you can take advantage (or mash mouse1 which also isn't optimal). Now contrast that with the user simply pressing a hotkey assigned to such a function.

It'd be possible that the amount drastically increased and exceeded the risk you're happy taking on.
To address this, the user could define a "max" liability amount.

Could be useful as optional functionality.
If the bet is good value, why would you be concerned about money left over to be matched and why would you want to take as much as you can at 2.0 but not 1.99, as the OP said?
eightbo

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:50 am
If the bet is good value, why would you be concerned about money left over to be matched and why would you want to take as much as you can at 2.0 but not 1.99, as the OP said?
Kelly criterion. Taking on too much risk will kill you.

If I offered you the chance to play a weighted coin-flip game which was 80%/20% in your favour, except you had to gamble with 80% of your total assets each time, you'd be a fool to play.

I haven't referenced the 1.99/2.00 aspect of the post. I'm just pointing out why I thought the OPs functionality could have some merit.

I've also not said the user would want to "take as much as they can" — in fact the amount they'd want to take would depend on how much value is presented, and their total trading capital. If backing 2.0 is moderate value, backing 1.99 has a slightly reduced payoff in comparison. And if for some reason a huge lay stake appeared at 4.5 for that same opportunity, the payoff is much greater so you can justify taking on more risk. But not too much. If your trading bank is £10k and the cash there was £9k available to take at 4.5 it's still -ve expectancy to take all 9 grand.

Obviously the difference between 1.99 and 2.00 is extremely minimal. But between 2.00 and say, 1.80? Well that's something.
Just think of all the times in AUS racing you've seen 20 tick dumps of big stakes — if the bet's too big for the market there'll be some random amount left over which gets snapped up over the next couple seconds. If your stake's set to a fiver when it happens, you'll probably miss the opportunity by attempting to change your stake first.
eightbo

jameegray1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 pm
Hi all. Is there a way to take the entire offered volume at a certain price without any balance carrying over to create a position waiting to be matched? eg if there is £531 at 2.0 and £401 at 1.99 can I take the £531 without taking any of the 1.99 volume and without creating a position waiting to be matched at 2.0?
You can take it to Suggestions for consideration if you feel it's something that'd be useful for you / other traders.
jamesedwards

Thanks for the discussion. It would be very useful for me and potentially make a significant increase in my profitability in events without much liquidity. I will put it forward as a suggestion.
spreadbetting

Does BA have a fill or kill option? Maybe use that set to zero and a range of set stakes should achieve close to what you're after. I know other software has the option allong with custom columns so would assume BA does too.
Dallas

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:20 am
Does BA have a fill or kill option? Maybe use that set to zero and a range of set stakes should achieve close to what you're after. I know other software has the option allong with custom columns so would assume BA does too.
Yes you could use the fill/kill function, and if streaming have any excess killed within 0.1 secs

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”