greening and trailing in running

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
keithp1981

Hi everyone im looking for any advice,info or anyone who uses such methods.

I trade in play on horse racing pretty well.However like most fairly new traders their is times where the market swings against you in play and ive taken losses as a result.I was wondering or looking for advice on how best to proceed with setting a stop loss and how many ticks or % of liabilty anyone else sets it to or indeed any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.I know in running isnt everyones cup of tea and some may not agree however ive found this much better suits me and would like some advice.

Many thanks
keithp1981

Any advice and ideas greatly appreciated on how others like to trade inplay aswel.

Thanks
Derek27

Welcome to the forum Keith. I don't trade in-play (many others do so I'm sure you'll get a response), but I would just warn you that in some situations, trading and trying to green-up or fire stop losses in-play is quite risky. In the case of back bets where the horse falls or goes backwards very quickly it may be too late for a stop loss as the price can hit 1000. Equally for lay bets in short races the speed that a horse crashes down plus the in-play delay could mean that the price goes straight through the stop loss before it can trigger.
keithp1981

Thanks derek much appreciated mate.
Black Ladder

Hello Keithp1981. iGamble in-play using fast pix and BA in-play trader to place bet, order. Generally, I only bet once a day targeting certain races, and that is in the final stage of the race with literally seconds to spare. Their are times when my bet is not matched, filled. I have experimented with stop losses but as other in-players will tell you its dangerous, consequently I personally don't use them. My advice would be to learn to race read using software and images and you will make your own decision if either in-play Gambling, Trading is for you. Their are simple things you can do to increase your capability, optimise your trading software for speed, and ensure your operating system has nothing running in the background. And of course a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Derek27

When I was betting I was moderately successful at in-running betting using my judgement on how the race is unfolding but never really took it up fully. If I was to apply a trading strategy to in-play horse racing without looking at the race I would primarily be focused on the risk to reward ratio. A strategy of backing horses at big prices and laying low, either dobbing or going for a bigger than double margin, or laying very low and letting run or backing high. Ultimately in-play trading is gambling because you can never be confident of closing your trade but I reckon if your trades are at decent odds so you don't need a high percentage of winning trades to break even you've got a good chance of finding a winning strategy.
MobiusGrey

When I first started looking into Betfair and thought that pre-race wasn't for me I tried in running for a while. The only thing I could get to work was to lay the first horse to trade under 2.0 with offset and greening. Imho a stop loss in running is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Sometimes you'll have the S/L hit, most of the time the prices crashes through it, the other times the market wil take it only to end up going the way you want it to go anyway. In running you either need a great risk:reward ratio OR an insane strike rate.
keithp1981

thanks guys i appreciate this advice and guidance a lot its helping me see a clearer picture.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”