Isle of Man TT

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Tuco

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am
I honestly believe that after passing my bike test (which I done several years after my car test) I became a much safer car driver, even down to doing the 'lifesaver' look over your right should.

People who have done a bike test will know your not only taught how to ride a bike but also how to anticipate the actions of others (cars drivers)
...same here - did my bike test a few years after my car test - I used to ride an enduro off-road bike as a child and my father was a racing driver when I was a child so I used to race go-carts and rode my enduro bike on a dis-used railway (without track) and up the side slopes.

Love watching all bike racing - close, skilful, and very dangerous!
greenmark

...all sage words. I had lots of near misses with cars. You have to assume car drivers haven't seen you. Assume the guy you're overtaking is going to turn right without indicating. Assume this guy waiting to pull out of a side road hasn't seen you. Assume someone in the line of cars you're zooming past is going pull out to overtake. I escaped them all with sheer luck, not skill. And each episode teaches you something, if you survive it.
Good to know we have bikers on here. :)
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Assume someone in the line of cars you're zooming past is going pull out to overtake.
I had a variant of that … I was overtaking a line and knew I couldn't do it in one go so I identified my pullover gap and went for it but there was an over aware car driver, the one in front of my pullover gap. He decided I wasn't going to be able to overtake him without his help so he put his brakes on and immediately I lost my pullover gap!! All I could do was force my way in and thankfully the guy behind pulled back to reopen the gap.
ShaunWhite

I'm another that took a bike test later on (30ish). If I'd taken it at 20 I think I'd have ended up in a box. I did a residential and expected it to be all kids, but everyone was 30ish and we were all going thru a divorce :D it was a great week.

As others have said it's about assuming you're invisible and expecting the worst. Touch wood after communing 40-70 miles a day thru wind rain and snow for 20yrs and having a year as a courier in London (did it for fun, and it wasn't) the only time I've dropped a bike was at 1mph in a car park after forgetting to remove my disk lock :oops: it's amazing how much strength you can summon up to lift a heavy bike when you're embarrassed.
RalfusDawes

I got into bikes long before I discovered the comforts of a car. A mate always called it my 'temporary citizen machine' and he was damn near right a few too many times.

I have to respect anyone who can pilot a bike around the Isle of Mann at those speeds, that takes a special kind of person

"he's got titanium balls in a carbon fibre nutsack..." - youtube comment
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Good to know we have bikers on here. :)
It's probably not too suprising, you take enough risk to make life fun, but not so much you can't live to tell the tale. That's trading all over.
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
even down to doing the 'lifesaver' look over your right should.
That's similar to the "dutch reach" whereby learner drivers in the Netheralands are taught to open their car door with the hand furthest away from the door, reminding them to turn and look behind.
superfrank

I worked years ago with a few blokes that were bikers. One was killed when a car nudged him into the path of an oncoming truck and another lost a leg when a car went through a red light at a crossroads and hit him side on.
It must take balls to be a biker and balls of steel to race TT. Exhilarating just to watch.
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm
Dallas wrote:
even down to doing the 'lifesaver' look over your right should.
That's similar to the "dutch reach" whereby learner drivers in the Netheralands are taught to open their car door with the hand furthest away from the door, reminding them to turn and look behind.
Never heard if called that, but it sounds like a bloody good idea!

I've ridden bikes and driven cars and trucks since I was 16 (I'm 62 now - you do the maths lol) and having survived my younger, 'banzai' years, I'm now enjoying (on 4 wheels only) my later 'quick where I can be safey and drive with my brain as well as my balls' years.

IMHO, ALL prospective car drivers should be made to spend at least 6 months months learning to ride a moped or such, to give them a taste of the real dangers out there......
Trader Pat

Shame you cant strap F1 drivers to the back of TT racers when they're doing the Isle of Man, would make them appreciate what real balls are
greenmark

It's that time of year for bikers.

I'm hoping for a better year. These guys needs years of experience around a 37+ mile circuit.

I have fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed for these daredevils.

Just watching the practice is exhilarating.
Archangel

There may be a more extreme/ dangerous sport than this, but I can't think of one.
ShaunWhite

It's been good so far and next week looks even better.

They do make jump jockeys look like Mary Poppins though. Imagine a horseracing festival where 3 or 4 jockey deaths happened regularly.

Nice sunny day here, I'm going for a blast around those nice sticky roads :) Only 1/2 TT speed, but with 10% of their skill it's just as much fun.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 am
It's been good so far and next week looks even better.

They do make jump jockeys look like Mary Poppins though. Imagine a horseracing festival where 3 or 4 jockey deaths happened regularly.

Nice sunny day here, I'm going for a blast around those nice sticky roads :) Only 1/2 TT speed, but with 10% of their skill it's just as much fun.
No chance of any just stop oil nutters forming a protest line across the road of this or jumping out in front of the riders waving a banner about :)

Its something I've always wanted to go and see in person even if just the once to say I've been and experienced it, but must be cool living in one of those houses on the course were they are whizzing past your front door practically at150mph+
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:47 pm
There may be a more extreme/ dangerous sport than this, but I can't think of one.
I'm sure there are, but as a biker the skill of these guys just blows me away.
But there is another level. Imagine being a passenger on a sidercar round there. The mutual trust must be immense.

Return to “Chill Out Area”