Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
StellaBot

post codes fine dont need number
just big house will work it out
StellaBot

Seems Peters had a nap issit? or innit?
spreadbetting

Just send it to the bet angel company address , I'm sure it'll get to him, no need to post every 10 minutes I'm sure he does other things than be on the forum 24/7
PeterLe

andyfuller wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm
I got this in last months kindle monthly deals and it is a really good read if you have any interest in the Silk Road (the online version):

American Kingpin: Catching the Billion-Dollar Baron of the Dark Web

By Nick Bilton

It is an interesting writing style as it reads like a fiction.

I have really enjoyed reading it and would recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Kingp ... 753546671/
Really enjoying listening to this on my daily walk. Concur with Andy and I think a few on here would enjoy it too.
Regards
Peter
PeterLe

My last book above, got me hooked, so now reading:

Ghost In The Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnik.
Just stated reading so haven't formed an opinion yet, however, almost by sheer coincident, my virus checker on my MacBook reported a Trojan yesterday morning (which was duly deleted automatically I hasten to add)...I didn't check it in depth, but It was some sort of screen sharing virus? It gives some peace of mind to know that my two step authentication is active...

Anyway, the reason I post this is to remind anyone who hasn't got two step - Just DO IT! :D
Im sure there are many out there looking to exploit...
Xerxster

You are Special by Fred Rogers. I'd definitely recommend the audiobook, especially if you were a fan of the recently released documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor?".
marksmeets302

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 am

Ghost In The Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnik.
Just stated reading so haven't formed an opinion yet, however, almost by sheer coincident, my virus checker on my MacBook reported a Trojan yesterday morning (which was duly deleted automatically I hasten to add)...I didn't check it in depth, but It was some sort of screen sharing virus? It gives some peace of mind to know that my two step authentication is active...

Anyway, the reason I post this is to remind anyone who hasn't got two step - Just DO IT! :D
You'll like The Cuckoo's Egg as well then Peter. It's about one of the first computer break-ins ever; the book is from 1989 and reads like a thriller. I remember this book quite clearly because at roughly the same time I was reading it I got acquainted with a guy that was really good with unix machines. After a few beers he told me made a sport out of hacking as many computers as possible. He was proud to tell me that on that same day he had printed a copy of a book on one of NASA's printers :-). Just a couple of months later he was apprehended for hacking some universities computer. He was never convicted because there was no law against it at that time.
PeterLe

marksmeets302 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:30 am
PeterLe wrote:

You'll like The Cuckoo's Egg as well then Peter. It's about one of the first computer break-ins ever; the book is from 1989 and reads like a thriller. I remember this book quite clearly because at roughly the same time I was reading it I got acquainted with a guy that was really good with unix machines. After a few beers he told me made a sport out of hacking as many computers as possible. He was proud to tell me that on that same day he had printed a copy of a book on one of NASA's printers :-). Just a couple of months later he was apprehended for hacking some universities computer. He was never convicted because there was no law against it at that time.
Cheers - I'll add that to the list! Thanks
Last edited by PeterLe on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

I'll represent those without the attention span to read.

I know there's one or two people here who won't want to have missed Stewart Lee, Content Provider on tv, filmed in Southend. It's available for another 25 days.
StellaBot

Mordin on Time (by Nick Mordin)

Posted this on the 30th May, forgot ,steaming.
Euler accepted for free.
Anyway contacted BA today, to kindly send me address.
PeterLe

Just started to read (listen) to 'Money' by Rob Moore. Only an hour in but enjoying it thus far.
In a journey with my younger son this morning, he was talking about 'designer clothes' and how he would buy them 'if' he had the money. Whereas I would never buy such things even though I could afford to do so.
He upbringing is very different to mine, growing up there was never much money in my household and the odd holiday was probably North Wales. Not long haul five star hotels!
The early part of the book is about how your attitude to money is partially down to your upbringing and the paradigms you have about it.
Having a growth mindset is very important too..
I remember speaking to a multi millionaire and he said that he wished he had taken more risks earlier in his life and been less afraid to leveraged the banks willingness to lend..

Anyway, we will see how the book pans out... :D
andyfuller

Let us know what it is like when you finish it please Peter. Sounds like you should have sent your lad down the pit not taken him to Vegas in his formative years :lol:

I have the book called 'What I learned losing a Million Dollars' to read, it will be interesting to see what the author learned going from small beginnings to having it all to losing it all again. It came highly recommended as a read.
LinusP

PeterLe wrote:

Started reading this as well, really enjoying it, amazed at how the majority of the hacks revolve around social engineering.
PeterLe

andyfuller wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 pm
Let us know what it is like when you finish it please Peter. ....
I found this a bit of a slog Andy; Although I did finish it. it would be unfair to say I didn't learn anything, but not sure I'd recommend it.

Just started reading "Bad Blood" which you may find reading. I'm enjoying to so far.
Read by the same narrator as the Silk Road, so easy on the ears too!
It will certainly strike a chord with anyone who lives in the corporate world.. :)
CallumPerry

Bad Blood, that's the only by Taylor Swift isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIy9NiNbmo

Return to “Chill Out Area”