Handling Markets with lots of Selections

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
CallumPerry

Hi forum :)

With the Grand National coming up very soon I am just trying to get my data logger spreadsheet ready, thought not to put the name of the event as the subject of this thread.

I have a few questions:

The current template that I have used to build my more complex models with only have room for around 30 selections, I have never seen a market with anything more than about 20 so what happens? Do the selections get pushed through to occupy rows 9 to 89? (40 selections x 2 rows each).

This is my first National trading and data collecting so eager to get prepared. Only 40 runners race but there are more than that named usually isn't there? By the time the market opens, what will it look like? I just need to know the dimensions to to capture and anything else people can recommend; don't want to make any stupid mistakes so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as a rule of thumb, the money starts coming in so most traders are active around 15/20 minutes out with the 'normal' horse markets so this is when I usually start logging from but how often before this event most year do you suggest I log from?

Callum :)
ShaunWhite

As far as I remember the extra selections just occupy extra rows.
Personally I don't find including novelty events like the GN & Laytown in my std data to be especially useful for what I do, quite the opposite. But I'm sure there's those who find a use for it and would disagree .
Dallas

I start collecting from around 9am-10am, you'll get a few distinct surges in volume during the build-up with the last arriving in the final 40mins or so once the previous race has finished
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 pm
Personally I don't find including novelty events like the GN & Laytown in my std data to be especially useful for what I do, quite the opposite. But I'm sure there's those who find a use for it and would disagree .

I agree … the 'popular' races bring in money from those that don't regularly bet and that can distort the market (like Frankie with the MILFs at Ascot! :lol: )
Dallas

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:53 am
ShaunWhite wrote:

I agree … the 'popular' races bring in money from those that don't regularly bet and that can distort the market (like Frankie with the MILFs at Ascot! :lol: )
Thats, why I have my festival data on there own separate analysis sheets (so one for Cheltenham, one for Aintree, one for Royal Ascot and so on) partly because I collect more of it than I do for regular races and in different ways
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:53 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Personally I don't find including novelty events like the GN & Laytown in my std data
or ... "pick a grey one so you can see it."

Not all women who think Frankie is a DILF are MILFs...he should be so lucky. He rides better looking fillies than 90% of them. :D
CallumPerry

Thanks for the replies, so you recommend capturing just the 40 selections in the top 80 rows from around 9am in the morning?

That was my thinking Dallas, I have done the same for Cheltenham festival too with having my analysis workbooks separate from the ‘normal’ races to revisit next year. Chelt had a nice consistent 40 mins between markets going which was easy to see, like I said I’m just trying to get myself ahead with this big one.
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:39 pm
That is some good logic :lol: anyone know of a website that collects the colour of the horse to add to my data?... I bet there is actually one out there.

When I was little and we went to the dogs I would always watch them coming out and if any had a poo I would bet on it as it was now lighter, that was my theory anyways. I made some money as an 8 year old using that strategy... I may back-test it...
firlandsfarm

CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:39 pm
That is some good logic :lol: anyone know of a website that collects the colour of the horse to add to my data?... I bet there is actually one out there.

When I was little and we went to the dogs I would always watch them coming out and if any had a poo I would bet on it as it was now lighter, that was my theory anyways. I made some money as an 8 year old using that strategy... I may back-test it...
I'm sure there will be a website that can give a horse's colour but I doubt very much if you will find one recording a dogs bowel activity! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SillyContrarian

CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm
If you've got access to the Betfair API then you can get the horse's colour from the runner metadata in the listMarketCatalogue command.
I know that's not quite what you are asking but someone might find it useful.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”