RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:06 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 pm
Horse racing off, Betfair down, pissing down with rain outside with a gale blowing, another storm following immediately after this one, followed by a return to cold weather. :evil:
You should get yourself on a last minute holiday site. I'm not sure when else you'll get time to have a couple of weeks in the sun.
I've only just got out of my death bed ‒ bit soon to be jetting off around the world. :lol:
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm
I've only just got out of my death bed ‒ bit soon to be jetting off around the world. :lol:
Fair enough, but mind you don't end up in your death bed again because you never take a break. (jeez I just realised how much that sounded like my mother :roll: )... You do whatever you want Derek. I'll stop mothering you :)
eightbo

Two greyhound markets which have stung me greatly recently.

05/02/19
Kinsley 12:11 suspended 8s early 12:10:52

18/02/19
Doncaster 20:21 suspended 15s early @ 20:20:45

Finding it really hard to accept responsibility for these, just want to blame betfair or the courses for starting early but ultimately I know it's up to me to account for early starts, just feels like so much opportunity is lost by giving up the final 20s to post just for it to happen once every few thousand markets. Beware if you're ever in that neck of the woods.
Naffman

Don't they suspend in the UK before they even enter the traps? I remember in Aus (they might do it differently now) but BF used to suspend when the last one went in
BetScalper

eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 pm
Two greyhound markets which have stung me greatly recently.

05/02/19
Kinsley 12:11 suspended 8s early 12:10:52

18/02/19
Doncaster 20:21 suspended 15s early @ 20:20:45

Finding it really hard to accept responsibility for these, just want to blame betfair or the courses for starting early but ultimately I know it's up to me to account for early starts, just feels like so much opportunity is lost by giving up the final 20s to post just for it to happen once every few thousand markets. Beware if you're ever in that neck of the woods.
This has been discussed many times before on the greyhounds threads.

Races can go off early/late. When i visited Swindon, sometimes they went off 30 seconds before the scheduled start. I used to think it was some sort of conspiracy between the on-course bookies and the track officials etc. Some tracks are worse than others especially during morning or afternoon racing. You don't tend to see it much on big evening racing, they usually go off on the nail.
ShaunWhite

//This follows on from comments in the Daft Social Media thread but I thought Rant Corner was more appropriate because that's what this is.......

I find this idea that if someone doesn't trade every Saturday then they're not serious, to be more than a tad disprespectful.

They should try spending some time with some of the guys here who haven't got an 8 figure bank account to fall back on, then they'll see serious. I think trading seriously is being confused with seriously wanting to set records or seriously wanting to be a celebrity trader.

If I work 60+ hours a week and none of those happen to be on a Saturday, I'd like one of them to come here explain to me how that's not being serious. I suppose when you sit in an ivory tower it's easy to start thinking that everyone else is just some fckin idiot who's just fckin around. Yes I'm pissed off and antsy but that's because I've worked every waking hour this week, again....and I'm (maybe) having tomorrow off. Now is not a good time to tell me I'm not serious. There's nothing worse than people who make a few bob and then start looking down their nose at people.

Rant over, and I'm not bothered about aftermatching that 'serious' might mean 'seriously sucessful' whatever that means, or 'seriously brilliant' rather than just trading seriously. I'm way beyond the specific case and on to the general atmosphere, especially on social media.
PDC

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:21 am
I'm (maybe) having tomorrow off. Now is not a good time to tell me I'm not serious.
You are alright you are posting this on Saturday so you must be saying you are maybe having Sunday off therefore you are still classed as being a serious trader as you are working on Saturday ;)
ShaunWhite

....and on that note gentlemen, I think my time here might be done (voluntary or otherwise). I'm having a break from here. Diminishing returns etc and it consumes too much of my time just spouting my opinions which people, quite rightly, don't give a toss about. It's consumed so much time tonight that I might have to work on *&%^%$ Saturday now ;)

Probably best if I have a break until at least the 29th March anyway for the sake of my blood pressure. How ironic that the glorious Independance Day might be April 1st. And if anyone's going to get involved in any political rallies, I suggest standing on the side who's placards are spelt correctly.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

Shaun, I wouldn't necessarily use it as an outright qualifier of success or seriousness in isolation. On a personal level, you should do what works for you and because you have no public product or profile, there is no obligation for you to justify anything. Just do what works for you. Don't let the rhetoric cloud the underlying issue which several people picked up on for this specific case.
PDC

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 am
....and on that note gentlemen, I think my time here might be done (voluntary or otherwise). I'm having a break from here.
I hope you aren't saying that after my comment, it was meant in jest. Apologies if you took it any other way.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:03 am
On a personal level, you should do what works for you and because you have no public product or profile, there is no obligation for you to justify anything.
I appreciate the reply.
I do do what works for me, so if you do what works for you, and we don't judge each other's attitude for what we each choose to do, then everything's rosy. You and I have got a little previous form with friction about topics like this, but I need to respect that this is your turf and I really don't want it to spoil an otheriwse thoroughly positive couple of years. So vive la difference, i'll take my break, maybe take a little holiday to unwind as I'm clearly stressed.... and I look forward to sparring with you and being a general irritant again soon ;) I wish you well, genuinely do. I'll be back, I'm too opinionated not to have some soapbox or other.
Derek27

Have a break if you want Shaun, but I hope you won't be away too long. :)
CallumPerry

I think it's healthy for everyone to have a break from social media from time to time, put things in perspective. If you feel: stressed, upset, confused or any sort of negative emotion it is manly to admit that to yourself. It is manly to say I need a break and it is manly to look after yourself. Take care of your mental health Shaun, even if you don't feel it's that big of an issue. Have a few days off just to clear your head, spend time with family/friends, go on a little adventure, do something new.

I look forward to the dickhead who comes back.
wearthefoxhat

Just thought I'd check some of the recent business news... :shock:

"William Hill swung to a loss last year amid challenges to its betting shops on the UK high street. The company moved to a pre-tax loss of £721.9 million compared to a profit of £146.5 million the prior year. The bookie is also remodelling its retail division to account for the new £2 stake limit on fixed odds betting terminals which comes into force in April this year."

"A fashion brand favoured by the Duchess of Cambridge is set to file for administration, putting up to 500 jobs at risk. High street fashion house LK Bennett is said to be filing a notice of intention to appoint administrators."

"Gap is closing more than 200 stores as part of a worldwide restructuring programme.The retailer's San Francisco-based parent company, Gap Inc, is splitting into two companies, one of which will consist of the eponymous brand and others including Banana Republic."

"Aston Martin’s flotation is turning rapidly sour for the luxury carmaker after its shares crashed more than 20% as it revealed a £136m bill to secure its stock market listing pushed it to a £68m annual loss. James Bond’s favourite car brand has lost £1.8bn in value – or 42% of its worth – since its stock market debut in October last year."

"Tesla is set to close all of its stores in a cost-cutting measure so it can sell its Model 3 for a reduced starting price of $35,000 (£26,400). The California-based firm's cars will now only be available online."

"Thousands of Britain's most vulnerable people are losing out on help to pay their council tax, a charity has warned.Turn2us said many pensioners are no longer receiving help because of the council's ongoing shift to digital-only services. It warned the new rules are locking out those who need financial aid the most - and as a result, pushing people into poverty."

"The decision by Honda to shut its Swindon factory by 2022, expected to be confirmed as early as Tuesday, throws into doubt 3,500 direct jobs, at a site responsible for about one in every 10 cars made in the UK last year. Thousands more jobs are at risk in the supply chain and associated businesses."

"Families' confidence about their finances has slumped to its lowest level in nearly a year, a major survey has revealed. The study by research group IHS Markit found there is deepening gloom about the future amid political turmoil over Brexit."

However..all in not lost...

chubby.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

:lol: Reminds me of the Smith & Jones sketch.

Return to “General discussion”