Restricted

A place to discuss anything.
cybernet69

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm
I'd guess you're just not generating commission for them so they've decide to cut off your free ride to their data.
There's a way around that.
spreadbetting

cybernet69 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm
I'd guess you're just not generating commission for them so they've decide to cut off your free ride to their data.
There's a way around that.
I'd be surprised if there were, they link a lot things to the commission points so if you aren't generating any they limit access. Just look for some cross market arbs to generate comms if you're not actually betting on the market you're data gathering. Doesn't take much comms for them to allow access. If you just set up another account that doesn't accrue commission they'll just get round to limiting that too.
karnage

I've had the same email. i don't know why, surely they can see I'm accessing betfair through the betfair API which I'm sure BetAngel buy a licence for.
Does anyone have a solution? or a way to let Peter Webb know about this? I'm thinking it could be something to do with them not paying their bills...

cybernet69 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:24 am
Holy mosses, now had my account restricted.... :oops:

With regret, we have restricted your Betfair account with a delay to Exchange market data (odds and volumes). The restriction is in accordance with our Terms and Conditions; in particular the intellectual property clauses with reference to Betfair data. For further information, view our T&C’s at http://forum.betfair.com/aboutUs/Terms. ... -betting-1. The relevant terms are highlighted below.
Your data usage profile represents that of a commercial user. Note that usage of Betfair Exchange market data by any user in a commercial context requires a data licence. Betfair offers a commercial data licensing scheme, details of which can be found at https://developer.betfair.com/get-started/.
Should you wish to consume data for testing and or analysis, please use delayed data as applied to your account or the historical data services - https://apps.betfair.com/data/.
‘6. Cancellation, Termination, Suspension and Breach

We may restrict your access to Betfair, suspend or terminate your account, withdraw your offers for bets, void any bets outstanding to your account, cancel any unmatched bets or cancel and void any outstanding or matched bets in our absolute discretion without cause at any time including if:

v: ... your account’s ‘public market data’ usage (‘public market data’ includes market prices, traded Volumes and market depth) could represent ‘business usage’ (‘business usage’ includes any use by a betting operator or any use by an individual or organisation supplying data or services to a betting operator)’
Kind Regards
Betfair Limited | Winslow Road | Hammersmith Embankment | London | W6 9HP.
Registered in England and Wales under company number 5140986.
Dallas

karnage wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:54 pm

I've had the same email. i don't know why, surely they can see I'm accessing betfair through the betfair API which I'm sure BetAngel buy a licence for.
Does anyone have a solution? or a way to let Peter Webb know about this? I'm thinking it could be something to do with them not paying their bills...
Its to do with excessive use of practice mode
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15692
PeterLe

cybernet69 wrote:
Cyber, sorry to hear the. Suggest sending a polite email to the BDP team, although Ive never had my account restricted, they have always helped me out
Regards
Peter
PS Jim - I had all my API keys rolled over at no cost, but I did have to email them (BDP and ask if my keys could be accepted for the new streaming. This was before the new charges were implemented though
mcgoo

turns practice mode off permanently :?>>
karnage

I don't use practice mode - all I use betangel for currently is to connect to the UK racing markets and then do excel magic with excel connection functionality.

Is there anything in the API terms and conditions about BetAngel end users being allowed or not allowed to record the data?
I ask because the account t&c's say:
You agree not to monitor, use or copy our web pages or any of our web content, including without limitation any price data.

You could of course argue that use of the API via BetAngel is NOT web content. It's not like we're screen scraping the betfair.com web site...

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:56 pm
cybernet69 wrote:
Cyber, sorry to hear the. Suggest sending a polite email to the BDP team, although Ive never had my account restricted, they have always helped me out
Regards
Peter
PS Jim - I had all my API keys rolled over at no cost, but I did have to email them (BDP and ask if my keys could be accepted for the new streaming. This was before the new charges were implemented though
Wolf1877

Whatever the T&Cs say plenty of people are using Bet Angel with Betfair and recording data as they go along. I dont think Betfair have a problem with recording market data providing it is exclusively for your own personal use and providing you are also reasonably active in the markets you are accessing. If you are not publishing the data or distributing/selling the data on they should really have no way of knowing what you do with their data. Peter Webb makes numerous references in his videos about saving data for retrospective analysis. Of course Peter makes a shed load of commission for Betfair and also does a great job for them of marketing Betfair!

What Betfair do have a problem with is users accessing/recording data without actually being active. I was watching the markets and using practice mode for a few weeks when I started out and I had my account restricted. I was able to persuade Betfair that I was a bona-fide wannabe trader ready to actually start trading and they agreed to unrestrict my account. Since then I have been active in the markets I access and I havent had a problem. They obviously use some kind of automated metrics to flag up and restrict accounts.
Lucacrebbe

Sorry I can't understand why OP has been restricted by Betfair. THe OP is a deleted user, so I can't ask him about this question.

Why has Betfair restricted him?
Dallas

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm
Sorry I can't understand why OP has been restricted by Betfair. THe OP is a deleted user, so I can't ask him about this question.

He gives the reason in his 2nd post - using practice mode too much
Lucacrebbe

Dallas wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm
Lucacrebbe wrote:

only because he was using pratice mod in Betangel?
Dallas

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm
Dallas wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm
Lucacrebbe wrote:

only because he was using pratice mod in Betangel?
Yes, Practice mode is intended to be used while you find your way around the software, no for prolonged periods of time while testing strategies etc, they are not especially keen on people putting a strain on their servers while they are making no revenue from them.

Return to “General discussion”