Just impossible!

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

Well, my reply was half and hour I'll never get back. Ho hum.

Good luck in the future deggsy, sound like the right decision to quit. I like to see people giving up and joining the 95%. It helps the tally for rest of us who are doing everything possible and sweating blood to try and be in the 5%.
Bluesky

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:34 pm
Sometimes when one writes a long reply with the intention of trying to help, it often helps one to clear things up in ones own mind. So even if the person you wrote it for either ignores it or dismisses it completely, you may well have benefited yourself from writing it, and also other people might have gained something from reading it too.
ShaunWhite

Bluesky wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:47 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:34 pm
Sometimes when one writes a long reply with the intention of trying to help, it often helps one to clear things up in ones own mind. So even if the person you wrote it for either ignores it or dismisses it completely, you may well have benefited yourself from writing it, and also other people might have gained something from reading it too.
To be honest Bluesky, that's the main reason I often reply at length. Helps to solidify what I think is the way to do it or things I've heard others say. I also acts as a 'Dear diary' when the missus is fed up listening to me banging on about every tiny detail 24/7.
gullsfan

Wow,

I am not in a position to offer you any advice on trading as I am by far and away no expert at it. That said I win between £30 and £50 every day. I've traded for an hour and a quarter this afternoon. Had one trade which was a loss of £2.14. The other seven or eight were all in profit.

Ended up wth £54 profit but I've stopped now as I find my concentration levels wane after a while - its a sign of getting old no doubt

I have my own back to lay ratings as well which also provide a good angle and are in the main profitable.

As for the rugby though - seriously what are you doing? Ok its easy to be wise after the match has finished and you no result. I didn't trade the match at all because it was too engrossing watching it.

You say it "was just your luck" that New Zealand lost. Yes they were all over the Lions for the first twenty minutes of the second half but seriously? £300 quid @ 1.22 with 14 men.

NZ were kicking penalties but didn't really look like scoring tries. The Lions had a high impact bench and the game was far from over even with their nine point lead. Once they established Field position I would have suggested that there was a fair chance the Lions would start scoring points.

I'm not adverse to backing odds on chances. Can't remember who the Lions played in the last but one Tuesday game. Think they were available @ 1.66 or something. The NZ side (whoever it was) had half their team missing that day. I won £78 on that game.

The information is out there if you care to look for it.
Euler

Cs3-1ZlW8AAgzEL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
megarain

Wrong post
megarain

Picture perfect
trader44

degsy wont quit and let me tell you why. he lost backing NZ on stupid odds and his other losses have probably been a lot of bad decisions as well. so you say to yourself when the pain wears off ,if i just cut those stupid mistakes out i can be successful and you start again but havent really put anything in place to stop the gambling creeping in again and BOOM a few weeks later back to square one .to draw on peters post , discipline win/gamble lose repeat..so the point of my post is if you dont get rid/manage the destructive habits you keep treading the same path .obviously i am talking from experience :cry:
trader44

"Christ! if you don't want to do it , then just leave!!!! and stop winging "

" dont ever take a job with the samaritans "

couldnt stop laughing at this :D
to75ne

these type of freds are becoming very tiresome. yawn.
redbasil

Hi deggsy,

I am far from being anything like being a decent trader but Something I found that helped was analysing my results, I was the same as you, all this advise and it just gos in the opposite direction what ever I do etc etc.

I looked at my results closer for the horse racing for one week in which I about broke even, I looked at the price I opened a trade and without bothering to look at the price I closed the trade I instead looked at the price the horse started the race the BSP and was amazed.

I know not an ideal way to look at things but it turned out I had 141 winning trades and 91 losing trades(still high I know) instead of the 50/50 I had managed to achieve whilst trading them myself. I averaged 50 ticks profit a day or would of done which I'm sure is nothing to the experts but a bloody site better than I was doing before.

This was my lightbulb moment and I think this highlights a perfect example of getting in your own way. I have/had been given excellent information and training but sometimes you think the opposite, people are here to help.... honest 😂😂😂 everyone can learn whoever they are🎲

Now all I need is a bloody exit strategy 😡😡😡
Emmson

My guesstimate would be this is the thread that Peter is referring to in his latest Bet Angel TV offering. Interesting read that also reminds me of another noteworthy thread in the same vein. http://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopic ... hilit=caan
Korattt

Deggsy,

I was like you not that long ago (regulars on here will back me up on that), but I've studied BA videos on YT, read up on stuff, recorded markets, captured screenshots and only now after say approx two years am getting consistent.

Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas is something I very strongly suggest any aspiring trader should read, personally I'm not a fan of reading so I have it on audiobook, every time I go away I listen to it, it's a piece I feel one has to read & read & read (or listen) again because time & time again I made mistake after mistake whilst learning, I'm no Jedi at trading, not by a long chalk but every time you go back to TiTZ you should find something sinks in eventually.. i.e. you have to think differently to become a trader, the thing is you only start to think differently after you've suffered some pain, well for me anyway,

What I'm saying is is that it can be done but every trade is broken down into different components, record the ladder during a days racing along with the market overview chart & look at everything that moves, EVERYTHING, I've come home from work at 2:20pm today & traded three markets, made just about three figures
ANGELS15

Deggsy

I'm a newcommer to Bet Angel trading myself so can't give you advice on how to improve your trades, however: have you ever considered that sometimes some of us are missing the point? I mean in my own case
I realised that it is going to take me a long time to learn to trade on the ladders so I've accepted that I don't expect to make any money that way for quite some time.

Instead I've asked myself what am I good at? Can I use the automation to bring my ideas and strategies to life?
Personally I think trading is the way to go however as I come from a punting background I found the experience and knowlege useful like for example spotting long priced horses that could shorten in running and creating automation to create offset bets in running. Knowing when to lay the field and more importantly when not to.

Ask yourself what are your strengths re knowlege and your experience can you use the automation in guardian to test your ideas?

At the moment I only trade maybe 5 to 12 races a day so far I get it right about 60/70% of the time but what I find is that there'll be the odd few trades that wipe out that days trading profits. As I'm only a learner trading with just a few pounds the profits and losses only amount to pennies. I thnk paying a few pennies to learn this skill is a good bargain.

In the meantime I find can make money in other ways. This type of software is the most powerfull thing out there. Look at other ways to exploit it and open your mind to new possibilities.
mcgoo

Enjoyed reading this thread.It is encouraging to see that people do crack it with hard work. I have been trying(mainly as I live in Oz and liquid markets seem far less prevalent than in the UK ) to crack the automation holy grail (rather than manual trading) for about 8 years on and off-all the while-like most people here I am sure- maintaining a job,marriage and raising a beautiful crazy toddler..Most of the time it was reliability of different software iterations that got me(also could be that me don't have the quickest mind in the ether :geek: ).Things would work for a while then you would get that old open trade with no closing trade..no green up suddenly and bam off go your profits :(. I have been having a proper go with BA only since the beginning of this year and find it has pretty much solved the reliability problem for me so have been able to focus on the strategy side of things a lot more. Even last night though, I/bot was going ok until one bloody (pre-off) runner moved from 5's to 8's in 8 seconds-how the hell do you code for that-boom stop loss too late and there goes profit..drawing board much ? :o This journey is not easy but I remind myself...Along the way I have taught myself some VBA, learnt a lot about logic & thinking in probabilities, moving averages,value,variance,risk management,letting profits run etc etc -all stuff I never would have even heard about before trading.I too have read Mark Douglas and watch trading videos by Peter the maestro avidly-wish you ran courses here in Oz Peter, I would be first in line. :D . I soak up as much as I can in the hope that one day..I get to do this wonderful thing called trading for a living.If not, well goals keep you going so that will be enough.
In short I realised, that trading is very much like life..you can't know what is going to happen..a change in fortune is to a large degree due to change in yourself/attitude..help people cos it comes back -and it is very hard to do it all on your own..cut your losses when the conditions change..and let those profits run while the conditions are favourable. :D ..most of all if you are close to giving up, find one thing about it to be grateful for and take a breath and another step.I feel ya Deggsy..good luck to you and everyone growing with the struggle :)
That's my 10c ...It's Friday and beer o' clock somewhere :D :D :D

Return to “General discussion”