Firefox Quantum

A place to discuss anything.
Dallas

Anyone else use firefox and been upgraded to the new quantum browser recently?

Just happened to me tonight and so far i much preferred the previous version especially for accessing my bookmarked sites in folders which now takes several clicks to get too
Derek27

Yes, I've upgraded and share the same frustration.

It's completely bonkers having to click more than twice to find a bookmark unless it's in a folder. You could just put all your bookmarks in a folder and place it on the toolbar to speed things up.

I never did understand what 'other bookmarks' is supposed to mean - nobody has a draw labelled 'other things' for things that you can't categorise. If they did, it would be a very large draw !
Dallas

I never understood 'other bookmarks' myself but do have over a dozen top level folders some with further sub folders (I'm maybe a bit OCD on organised) but could always find what i wanted quickly, because of the amount of links putting them all in one would probs take me longer looking through the list for the one i want than the annoying multi click process they've created.

I also used to have a tiled page appear of my most used sites each time i opened a new one, now those tiles have shrunk to the size of postage stamps which i can barely see and now take up just a small amount of space in the middle of my screen leaving all the rest white :roll:
ShaunWhite

Thanks for the warning, I'm on v56 still. So have nested bookmark folders gone? :o

I hope they still have tabbed groups to open a bunch of sites in separate tabs in one go.
Niko

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 am
Thanks for the warning, I'm on v56 still. So have nested bookmark folders gone? :o

I hope they still have tabbed groups to open a bunch of sites in separate tabs in one go.
Special interest sites :o :mrgreen: 8-)
to75ne

it seems to use a stupid amount of cpu over 70% every few minutes or so, then drops of to 5/6% for a few minutes, and then excessive cpu again, then it drops and on and on. dumping it.
convoysur-2

try opera browser
Mark-H

I wasn't too keen on losing my handy bookmarks icon which I use A LOT! However, clicking on the hamburger icon and selecting customize let my drag the missing icon back onto the top bar. Now all is back to normal for me. :geek:
Derek27

Thanks Mark, I've just done the same.

These browsers get updated so frequently that nobody has really got the time to spend exploring the new features.
to75ne

convoysur-2 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 am
try opera browser

thanks, seems much matter then firefox.
ShaunWhite

Quantum seems fine now I've had a play.

Suffers a bit from the trend for everything to look like 'My First Software Jr Edition' but it's an improvement, definately less cpu and it's a bit quicker.

Stream1 - 2% cpu & 300mb (BF)
Stream2 - 3% cpu & 700mb (RUK)
Stream3 - 2% cpu & 450mb (ATR)
And one instance full of tabbed sites 0% & 150mb

As a comparison BA uses 3% cpu and about 250mb

(i7-3770 @3.50Ghz with 16Gb )
Dallas

Mark-H wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm
I wasn't too keen on losing my handy bookmarks icon which I use A LOT! However, clicking on the hamburger icon and selecting customize let my drag the missing icon back onto the top bar. Now all is back to normal for me. :geek:
Im not sure if this is exactly the same as you have done but using the 'Customize' option at the bottom of the page is a box with 'Toolbars'
Selecting 'Menu Bar' from there puts the bookmarks tab at the top left of your screen so i can now access all folders with a single click again :)
Rinoa

Lots of add-ons don't work with quantum so I've downloaded 56. In options I've unchecked updates to stop it re-installing 57.

Not sure if this is viable long term but so far no problems.
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:12 pm
Mark-H wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm
Im not sure if this is exactly the same as you have done but using the 'Customize' option at the bottom of the page is a box with 'Toolbars'
Selecting 'Menu Bar' from there puts the bookmarks tab at the top left of your screen so i can now access all folders with a single click again :)
I was a bit confused with 'hamburger icon' - it looks more like three horizontal lines, which you'll find on the far right to the address bar. Selecting customise allows you to drag a bookmarks icon to your toolbar, but using the menu bar as you have done is much the same thing.
Derek27

Forgive me for being stupid but I was unaware that three horizontal lines are known as hamburger or hot dogs. I was actually looking for an icon that looks like a hamburger. :oops:

Return to “General discussion”