Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
Euler

I've actually offered a couple of occasions for them to give £10k to charity if they can prove anything I've said was false and offered to fund that contribution myself if they go on to prove so. No takers as yet.
Hobsom

The people who know or have met you, or have even simply followed your progress via YouTube or on the forum, will all agree that you put in a huge amount of positive effort to improve our chances of success in this game. Besides, you have made far too many adverts for Betdaq to be on Betfair's payroll :D
Haters will always hate because they essentially hate their own failure and lack of positive personal responsibility. Angry people are fundamentally angry with themselves and their own impotence. You should pity the fools (Mr T) :D
Maybe you could come up with a generic response to these kinds of comments that you could just cut and paste into a reply, to save you the time, effort and grief of responding to this kind of unwarranted abuse. Something like this maybe: -
"I find it disheartening in this land of Churchill, Shackleton and Newton to find so many ignorant cowards hiding behind the anonymity of the internet so that they can spew forth their uninformed vitriol, without first asking me for proof of traded earnings or coming to see me in person" :D
It's obvious that you've done enough research into human psychological bias and the psychology of failure to know that these morons are the lowest common denominator in any psychological equation, and you will always get ignorant detractors no matter how positive and successful you are.
foxwood

Just smile and think of the free advertising - only complain if they spell Bet Angel or your name wrongly.

Not worth the time and cost let alone the tensions and angst of going legal for personal imho.

However, as a starting point, if they libel the BA product/company then that is an easy job for a solicitor to issue a cease and desist and takedown notice to the web site operators together with a claim for the companies costs due to them allowing defaming posts.
northbound

Two ideas.

IDEA 1 - MAKE A VIDEO CALLED "THE REALITY OF TRADING"

... in which you explain that:

- Statistically, the vast majority of people that get into trading will never be profitable.
- The aspiring trader must be prepared to practice for an enormous amount of hours.
- The aspiring trader must learn to use his own judgement and find his own angles.

Every time someone calls you a fraud or says you mislead people, reply with a link to that video.

IDEA 2 - LIVE STREAMING

Once a month, do a 2-hour LIVE stream in which you trade a few UK races.
SeaHorseRacing

northbound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Problem is.... will only take someone to delibrately take his trade the other way live streaming....
Dallas

northbound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 pm

IDEA 2 - LIVE STREAMING

That still wouldn't satisfy most if any, they'de simply claim the market was set up/rigged in his favor had queue position etc.

Im in agreement with Letiss and that its not skeptics doing most of these type of posts its those who have tried and failed - likely in spectacular fashion blowing at least one bank if not several

These people now have such a chip on their shoulder and are of the mindset 'if they cant do it no one else can' there would be no convincing them
northbound

Dallas wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:32 pm
These people now have such a chip on their shoulder and are of the mindset 'if they cant do it no one else can' there would be no convincing them
Most probably true.

That's why a video about the reality of trading could set the record straight.
SeaHorseRacing

I think Social Media is a platform for people to be outrageous, offensive and oppose anything.

I think its just the society we live in these days I honestly wouldn't know what to recommend but I know from my own experience, being accused of something that isn't true when you spend all your time doing it successfully can be very hurtful and it can really get on under your skin.

If you buy a nice house in a nice location you can stay away from the low lives. If you stay in nice hotels you will "generally" be sat eating with other nice people, but on the internet, everybody is in the same class of interaction and I think if you dig too much into it, sometime down the future another prat will come along. Think its best to ignore.
Dallas

northbound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
Dallas wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:32 pm
Most probably true.

Im not so sure that would help much either.

It reminds me of the guy a few years ago Peter ended up referred to the forum who was 'claiming 'profiting from trading was not possible'

His whole reason was as stupid as - he was backing horses who were blue on odds checker (prices shortening) then laying for a few ticks profit - after a few days of this he, of course, incurred his losses so came to the conclusion that because that did not work "trading' was impossible and took to social media to tell the world so.

It ended up being quite a colorful and lengthy thread but there was no way anyone was going to convince this guy it was possible with hard work - he even went as far as saying everyone was on here was deluded and if they were profitable and could prove it even if over 10 years or more it was just blind 'luck' and there was no skill or way to read a market.
megarain

If you are successful, haters will always hate.

Either you can block them, ridicule them or ignore them.

The only way to 100% flatly deny their claims, would be to post your weekly Premium Charge Account. I did briefly consider this, but, its likely to
cause more trouble than its worth (tax man) etc.

Some accounts on twitter blatently feel immune from the law. I wrote a post about an account, publishing false info, so he could directly benefit
from others believing the info, and matching his waiting orders. It happened again at the weekend, when the account on Sunday, said Ruby Walsh was injured, and would not ride in the festival. He was obviously hoping, to take great prices on top festival jockey. I know a social media lawyer, and she said u can sue etc .. but, hes v tricky .. says his account was hacked. Its likely, this idiot will do the same.

U have to ignore them.
Trader Pat

northbound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
Couldn't see it making any difference. At the end of the day people believe what they want to believe and they're not interested in anybody telling them otherwise.
PeterLe

A lot of people hide behind social media; Id just ignore it
Or offer him an invite to pop in for a coffee
I bet he would be different again if he was face to face
Regards
Peter
sionascaig

Given that they are libelling both yourself & betfair maybe betfair would take an interest.

The alternative to a disgruntled trader is of course a traditional bookmaker taking a potshot to undermine exchange trading... There must be a few clenched buttocks out there what with todays announcement re FOBT's )
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:22 pm
I've got familiar with the sort of things you see posted on social media. Because people can post anonymously under aliases people seem to think they can say anything without fear of being caught. I've generally ignored, blocked or deleted some of the incredibly daft things that people say. But I wonder if I am missing a trick? Should I just have a laugh at the stupidity of it all, do a video on them? Or would that just encourage more?

I'd be interested in your views on how best to deal with the sort of abuse you get on social media. Here is an example from this weekend: -

2018-03-19_11-26-55.png
Might be worth choosing the worst one and making an example of them through the legal system. At least then you would find out who they are and let others know your not to be messed with. There are more precedents nowadays for this and will make it easier to pursue others in the future.......then make a video!
spreadbetting

The example you posted is hardly the worst thing I've seen said on social media .

Just ignore it, it's not worth the hassle, responding to it only gives them the attention they're looking for but it was fun to see the betfairtraderpro guy outed a while back , maybe he's come back for a second shot :)

Return to “General discussion”