Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
Trader Pat

northbound wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
That's why a video about the reality of trading could set the record straight.
Couldn't see it making any difference. At the end of the day people believe what they want to believe and they're not interested in anybody telling them otherwise.
PeterLe

A lot of people hide behind social media; Id just ignore it
Or offer him an invite to pop in for a coffee
I bet he would be different again if he was face to face
Regards
Peter
sionascaig

Given that they are libelling both yourself & betfair maybe betfair would take an interest.

The alternative to a disgruntled trader is of course a traditional bookmaker taking a potshot to undermine exchange trading... There must be a few clenched buttocks out there what with todays announcement re FOBT's )
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:22 pm
I've got familiar with the sort of things you see posted on social media. Because people can post anonymously under aliases people seem to think they can say anything without fear of being caught. I've generally ignored, blocked or deleted some of the incredibly daft things that people say. But I wonder if I am missing a trick? Should I just have a laugh at the stupidity of it all, do a video on them? Or would that just encourage more?

I'd be interested in your views on how best to deal with the sort of abuse you get on social media. Here is an example from this weekend: -

2018-03-19_11-26-55.png
Might be worth choosing the worst one and making an example of them through the legal system. At least then you would find out who they are and let others know your not to be messed with. There are more precedents nowadays for this and will make it easier to pursue others in the future.......then make a video!
spreadbetting

The example you posted is hardly the worst thing I've seen said on social media .

Just ignore it, it's not worth the hassle, responding to it only gives them the attention they're looking for but it was fun to see the betfairtraderpro guy outed a while back , maybe he's come back for a second shot :)
Euler

That's a good example actually as I offered James the chance to meet up and see everything for real. But he declined and I just kept on offering. Turns out he couldn't trade profitability either. Never would have guessed!
Euler

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Couldn't see it making any difference. At the end of the day people believe what they want to believe and they're not interested in anybody telling them otherwise.
It was actually a breakthrough moment for me when I realised that. When people started publically questioning my credentials I couldn't believe they could do that as I had put so much time and effort into everything. Then it dawned on me that this was what they were doing, viewing and using it to reinforce their viewpoint, oblivious to what was really happening. It was the first time that I realised why people can make money even if the market is perfectly efficient. You could stand on the top of cliff telling people they would die if they jumped off it and they would do it just to prove you wrong. It works the same in the markets.
SeaHorseRacing

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:18 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm
It was actually a breakthrough moment for me when I realised that. When people started publically questioning my credentials I couldn't believe they could do that as I had put so much time and effort into everything. Then it dawned on me that this was what they were doing, viewing and using it to reinforce their viewpoint, oblivious to what was really happening. It was the first time that I realised why people can make money even if the market is perfectly efficient. You could stand on the top of cliff telling people they would die if they jumped off it and they would do it just to prove you wrong. It works the same in the markets.
100% true. I think its a modern day natural instinct to oppose anything.

Anyone ever read The Science of getting rich? A book which points out that people who are rich don't show these types of behaviours.
weemac

It's not necessarily about trading at all. A lot of people engage in this sort of stuff as much to make themselves the centre of attention as anything else. They feel insignificant in everyday life so build themselves a (usually controversial) online persona. It's what killed off the betfair forum, imo. It's possible that engaging with him could, rather depressingly, be the worst option.
Euler

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:28 pm

100% true. I think its a modern day natural instinct to oppose anything.

Anyone ever read The Science of getting rich? A book which points out that people who are rich don't show these types of behaviours.
Never read the book, but I learnt my mindset by mixing with people who were more successful and better than me in a number of ways. Always saw people who were better than me as an opportunity to learn.
Euler

Got to say, thanks for the support and answer guys.
SeaHorseRacing

Thank you for all the youtube videos, your software and this forum. We should be the thankful ones. Just don't allow the idiots to sway your thinking or what you do.

I used to once oppose everything just because I wanted to be the one who was right and for the credit of doing so, It took me a lot of pain and the desperation to do anything to make the trading work that I started to realise that in fact this was my flaw in life and this forum and particularly your videos moved me towards thinking differently.

It was through your videos I did my own research and I discovered paradigms and learning my self-awareness and improving on myself

All though I am still controversial and opinionated I look at things differently these days and that's down to you highlighting on your videos... don't get yourself into mistakes, don't trade everything the same... eventually, it all clicked and I knew what it would take just to make even a small profit and that is changing yourself not your strategies in the market.
Trader Pat

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:16 pm
Got to say, thanks for the support and answer guys.
I know theres a case to be made for ignoring the negativity and not letting it bother you but IMO its good that it does in some ways. It shows that you still care and maybe its part of the reason Bet Angel keeps pushing the boundaries and the software keeps improving. Keep up the good work :)
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:13 pm
That's a good example actually as I offered James the chance to meet up and see everything for real. But he declined and I just kept on offering. Turns out he couldn't trade profitability either. Never would have guessed!
That was quite an offer, an opportunity that many successful traders would have taken up, albeit, for different reasons. But at least you offered, you can't really do more than that.
gutuami

ohh these trolls, we see them everywhere. I would feel pity for them. What they have inside comes outside. they are mean and hateful, pessimists with no ambitions.. in a word losers. don't chaise losers. same as in trading :) too much of a hassle.

Return to “General discussion”