Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:25 pm
I mean, if you can't even learn how to spell in your own language, how are you honestly capable of learning something as complex as trading.
:lol: I never looked at it that way but it's a good point.
ShaunWhite

Kai wrote:
I mean, if you can't even learn how to spell in your own language, how are you honestly capable of learning something as complex as trading.
I'm not sure that's right really.

On the topic though.... How about a standard reply that says...

"It's understandable that you have your doubts and healthy cynicism is a good thing, but if you or anyone would like to learn more about trading, I suggest you visit the Betangel forum at Xxxxxxxxx where you can find over Xxxxxxxxx threads and Xxxxxxxxx postings by Xxxxxxxxx users on the topic which will help you to make an informed opinion as to whether or not it can be done profitably."

Fill in the blanks obv.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:22 pm
Kai wrote:

"It's understandable that you have your doubts and healthy cynicism is a good thing, but if you or anyone would like to learn more about trading, I suggest you visit the Betangel forum at Xxxxxxxxx where you can find over Xxxxxxxxx threads and Xxxxxxxxx postings by Xxxxxxxxx users on the topic which will help you to make an informed opinion as to whether or not it can be done profitably."

Fill in the blanks obv.
I don't think either me or Kai meant it to be taken too literally, but it does illustrate the point that there are some things other people can do that he can't - spelling just being one of them.
SeaHorseRacing

ShaunWhite wrote:
Kai wrote:

Fill in the blanks obv.
I am dyslexic and use a software called Grammarly and you can see that it still doesn't make sense at times.. Private English tuition paid for twice a week in my last two years at School.. still couldn't get a C. Managed an A in maths and think im doing ok with my trading....
bennyboy351

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:41 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Kai wrote:

Fill in the blanks obv.
I don't think either me or Kai meant it to be taken too literally, but it does illustrate the point that there are some things other people can do that he can't - spelling just being one of them.
Shouldn't that be 'I don't think either Kai or I/myself meant it to be taken too literally?' LOL :-)

Some people are good with words, some with numbers. I reckon Peter must be in the second group. ONTH, maybethe guy IS dyslexic?
Kai

Anna List wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm
I like this quote. May I borrow it?
You don't need my permission to borrow a well known quote :) You can find a few different variations of it if you google a bit.
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:41 pm
This.

Obviously people suffering from disabilities such as dyslexia would be exempt from that random generalization so no need to get triggered over nothing, you got the jist of what I wanted to say.
Last edited by Kai on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreadbetting

bennyboy351 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 pm
Shouldn't that be 'I don't think either Kai or I/myself meant it to be taken too literally?' LOL :-)

Some people are good with words, some with numbers. I reckon Peter must be in the second group. ONTH, maybethe guy IS dyslexic?
:) As soon as you set yourself up as the grammar police you need to be pretty much bulletproof yourself as it's only a matter of time before people slip up. My spelling is appalling these days but thankfully it's never held me back whilst trading.
ShaunWhite

I didn't mean to be picky Kai, I'm one of the worst for being unnecessarily frustrated by spelling. There and their, your and you're are the ones that get me. We all struggle a bit with something or other though, for me it's foreign languages so c'est la vie.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 pm
I didn't mean to be picky Kai, I'm one of the worst for being unnecessarily frustrated by spelling. There and their, your and you're are the ones that get me. We all struggle a bit with something or other though, for me it's foreign languages so c'est la vie.
I must be quite frustrating then because those two mistakes you mentioned are my most common when I type in a hurry. ;)
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 pm
You've forgotten another one - Loose or Lose. It only appears to have become a recent problem, perhaps thanks to predictive text!
mjmorris335

The biggest one for me is 'of' instead of 'have'. Drives me f*cking BANZAI.

'Should of', 'could of', 'would of' should be 'should have', 'could have', 'would have' (can be contracted to should've, could've, would've), etc.

If I ruled the world I'm not sure I would'nt make it a capital offence.

Mike
weemac

I'm loving this grammar section.

Do you want to say "they are"?.................."they're"
Do you want to say "belonging to them"?......"their"
Everything else is..................................."there"

Do you want to say "you are"?...................."you're"
Everything else is ..................................."your"

Do you want to say "it is"?........................."it's"
Do you want to say "it has"?......................."it's"
Do you want to say "belonging to it"?............"its"

Apostrophes replace the first letter of the second word. That's their job. Well, errmm........usually. But that's grammar for you.

Anyway, the fact that someone hasn't been taught or doesn't know these sometimes complicated rules in no way disqualifies them from expressing an opinion. However, the lesson (as I see it) of this thread isn't about grammar or spelling; it's that whereas when I was young the only way to express your opinion publicly was to speak to people directly, write to newspapers or to stand on a box in the street and start shouting like an idiot - in this horrible 21st century we live in a digital age, and people now realise that they can use these digits to give themselves a perceived identity, meaning and influence while swivelling from side to side, forum to forum, in their ergonomically unsound chairs bought off gumtree, all the while chomping on Pringles and swigging litres of Whatever They Fancy, shouting........ like an idiot standing on a box in the street. In other words, you can now be a public idiot without actually being public.

And that's probably the nub of the matter. There's a sense in which I'm really glad that by the time this sort of thing reaches its zenith, probably in another generation or two, that I'll be long gone. All the best to those who'll follow after us.

These times absolutely will change, but it will take a lot longer than any of us have got left to appreciate the benefits. It will all be replaced by something else. And, if I understand human nature, it will probably be something even worse.
ShaunWhite

If you can say it in two words, put a ' in.

There is the opposite of here. Well it is if you say it with a broad Lincolnshire accent anyway. As in "That orse owa thea needs sum watta".

And their replaces his or hers. Probably comes via 'thy' or 'thine' , anyway both of those have the 'i' sound and their has an 'i' in it.

His is a bit of a quirk actually because if it becomes its and her becomes hers, then he should have become hes rather than 'his'.

....class dismissed. Next week "The Grocer's Apostrophe"
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

We're in danger of getting chucked onto the rant corner by the moderators. I just wish I got I/me right in my earlier post and then this discussion would never have started. :lol:
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:27 am
We're in danger of getting chucked onto the rant corner by the moderators. I just wish I got I/me right in my earlier post and then this discussion would never have started. :lol:
Shoulda woulda coulda Derek. (sorry mj) :lol:

Return to “General discussion”