Leverage in sport trading

A place to discuss anything.
Lucacrebbe

Hello do you know if there is a betting exange that let you use leaverage like in forex?

Leaverage is when you bet more money that you have

I would like to know if exist in sport betting
Dallas

No, you can only bet with money you have
Trader Pat

Imagine the carnage if there was a leveraged betting exchange!
Naffman

It amazes me why you're allowed to have leverage in the stock/forex market

Surely just so the big boys can make even more money
Derek27

The only sports betting firms that allow you to have liabilities greater than your account funds are spread betting firms, but it is incidental rather than intended because spread betting liabilities can be unlimited. If you have a spread bet where the liability is getting greater than your account balance they sometimes ask (or demand) that you fund your account.
xtrader16

It's not a good idea to bet/trade with more money than you actually have. Why would anybody allow you to do this. Its an imending distater.
marksmeets302

Nothing wrong with leverage when applied with reason but the sport markets are so small you'd have a hard time deploying it.
xitian

marksmeets302 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am
Nothing wrong with leverage when applied with reason
Absolutely. Specifically with betting exchanges there are situations where it’s completely justified. Mainly because capital is required to be locked away when there’s a chance that your bet might be matched and might lose. i.e. when you offer money on the book, even if it doesn’t get matched you need to have the money available. Now scale that up to the 100 football games in-play at 3pm on a Saturday and imagine if you want to offer money on every outcome on the Correct Score market. That’s potentially a lot of capital required, most of which won’t get matched and lose.

Having leverage or an exposure allowance based on a multiple of your physical capital can make sense if it’s spread across many opportunities. Obviously it doesn’t make sense if you just blow it all on one possible outcome. You shouldn’t be trading like that even if you don’t have leverage.
Lucacrebbe

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:32 pm
The only sports betting firms that allow you to have liabilities greater than your account funds are spread betting firms, but it is incidental rather than intended because spread betting liabilities can be unlimited. If you have a spread bet where the liability is getting greater than your account balance they sometimes ask (or demand) that you fund your account.
Do you know where can I bet ''Spread betting'' with leaverage?
ShaunWhite

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm
Google?
You probably know what's available in Italy better than we do.
Lucacrebbe

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm
Lucacrebbe wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm
Google?
You probably know what's available in Italy better than we do.
I can't find any bookmaker letting leavearage on Spread betting, in Google the results showen are all Spread betting byut in Financial field, not sports betting
Derek27

Some spread bets have unlimited liability so all spread betting firms are potentially allowing you to risk more money than you have. As I said, it's not an intentional leverage, it's just the nature of spread betting.
Lucacrebbe

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:51 pm
Some spread bets have unlimited liability so all spread betting firms are potentially allowing you to risk more money than you have. As I said, it's not an intentional leverage, it's just the nature of spread betting.
Dereck please can you name some companies/bookmakers/Betting exanges websites which allow to risk more what you can afford?
Derek27

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:51 pm
Dereck please can you name some companies/bookmakers/Betting exanges websites which allow to risk more what you can afford?
I don't know any bookies or betting exchanges that allow leverage - I just said spread betting firms do.
ShaunWhite

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm
websites which allow to risk more what you can afford?
:roll:

Return to “General discussion”