The Most Eye Opening Posts

A place to discuss anything.
sa7med

There is so much great content here I was wondering if people could nominate their favorite most eye-opening posts just so that we could have them all in one place :)

* Please post actual post text (or at least give it a brief)
Last edited by sa7med on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimibt

sa7med wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:41 pm
There is so much great content here I was wondering if people could nominate their favorite most eye-opening posts just so that we could have them all in one place :)
this one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16241 :D
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 pm
sa7med wrote:
:lol:
Derek27

I could put up many for the wrong reasons (perhaps we should have a comedy thread), but here's one from Dallas that got me interested in tennis.
Dallas wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:51 pm
Lucacrebbe wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 am

At the end of the first set Wozniaki was priced at 1,05

The first set ended 6-0

So I went all in in Wozniaki (1000$ at 1.05 price)

Wozniaky lost the second set , and then the match.

What has been my error?

The only people backing in that situation will of been gamblers/punters, it was not a 'Trading Opportunity' just about every serious or successful trader will of been looking at laying only

You risked $1000 to win $50 but only if she won the 2nd set

If you layed her at 1.06 (for the same $1000 risk) even if she stumbled or faced a break point her odds would of drifted a few ticks, if they drifted to just 1.09 which was hightly likely if facing a break point you could of traded out and made $450 (9 times the amount just through facing a break of serve) perhaps as early as the 1st game of the 2nd set!

Had she lost the 2nd set her odds will of gone out to around 1.35, which would of given you around $3600 profit (72 times that $50 amount you were hoping to win by backing her @ 1.05)

So ask your self in this situation if the match was played out 72 times would Wozniacki of won the 2nd set all 72 times?

Trading tennis is about finding those Risk Vs Reward situations and putting yourself on the right side of them

Have a look at the today's tennis thread and a few of the past grand slam threads, there are tons of graphs which show the wild price swings you get from a tennis match, rarely will a price just trade straight down to 1.01 from its starting price.
Edit: Actually it may have been this follow-up post exampling a trading opportunity that I was thinking of.

viewtopic.php?p=147773#p147773
Last edited by Derek27 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sa7med

jimibt wrote:
sa7med wrote:
haha, some high quality trolling there!
ShaunWhite

Potentially a good thread, I hope it stays tidy (any chance of posting the actual texts rather than links?)
sa7med

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:59 pm
Potentially a good thread, I hope it stays tidy (any chance of posting the actual texts rather than links?)
good idea, ill request for that in original post
jimibt

sa7med wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:55 pm
jimibt wrote:
sa7med wrote:
haha, some high quality trolling there!
lol, just pullin' ya leg. sounds like a great idea and could definitely spawn a life of its own..
ruthlessimon

Euler on backtesting a strategy:

"I use data a lot to construct ideas but almost never to backtest strategies. Ideas come out of the data which I then test in the market. There is a huge leap from idea to a practical application, so all my best strategies have come from direct participation."

(viewtopic.php?p=136111#p136111)

"If it's based on real data and not backtesting then it stands a reasonable chance."

(viewtopic.php?p=99316#p99316)
xitian

I'd disagree about that. I've used backtesting a lot. When used correctly it's very powerful and I'd say almost essential (at least for what I do).

BetAngel has no backtesting facility probably because of Peter's view, which is a shame I think. I suppose it's also partly because of data licensing issues. But I'm surprised BetAngel wouldn't be allow to have a facility to store market data for an individual's personal use. BetAngel as a business obviously can't sell or publish the data itself, but collecting data for personal use must be different. Anyone who has access to the API can store data, so why not individual BetAngel users?
sa7med

xitian wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm
I'd disagree about that. I've used backtesting a lot. When used correctly it's very powerful and I'd say almost essential (at least for what I do).

BetAngel has no backtesting facility probably because of Peter's view, which is a shame I think. I suppose it's also partly because of data licensing issues. But I'm surprised BetAngel wouldn't be allow to have a facility to store market data for an individual's personal use. BetAngel as a business obviously can't sell or publish the data itself, but collecting data for personal use must be different. Anyone who has access to the API can store data, so why not individual BetAngel users?
different schools are fine, but I believe you now owe us a post within a post :D
xitian

There were some good ones in this thread:

Nice gambling & trading quotes
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5381

No one's added to it in years which is a shame.

If I really must make a choice and put it inline, then it's gonna have to go to a quote by Jeff quoting Buffett. Jeff gets all the credit though :lol:
Ferru123 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am
“Take the probability of loss times the amount of possible loss from the probability of gain times the amount of possible gain. That is what we’re trying to do. It’s imperfect, but that’s what it’s all about."
Warren Buffett
LinusP

xitian wrote:
+1

These two are a good read and related to a few discussions at the moment:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12099

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7109
Euler

xitian wrote:

It's mainly due to data license and compliance issues. IP is a tetchy area for those who have it.

We did have a product a long time ago that allowed you to collect data for personal use. Betfair banned it and it's been forgotten since then.
mobius

SITE REMOVED The perfect companion to Betangel............................. :shock:
Just checking who's awake.
Check out the site. It's Bulgarian and I suspect there has been a translation problem.
PW, you can pick yourself up off the floor now. It's just an agglomeration site for Bulgarian users. (Got a lumia off a pal and was loading up WillHill when this popped up maybe you should register the .co.uk before somebody else does).

Return to “General discussion”