The Most Eye Opening Posts

A place to discuss anything.
sa7med

xitian wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm
I'd disagree about that. I've used backtesting a lot. When used correctly it's very powerful and I'd say almost essential (at least for what I do).

BetAngel has no backtesting facility probably because of Peter's view, which is a shame I think. I suppose it's also partly because of data licensing issues. But I'm surprised BetAngel wouldn't be allow to have a facility to store market data for an individual's personal use. BetAngel as a business obviously can't sell or publish the data itself, but collecting data for personal use must be different. Anyone who has access to the API can store data, so why not individual BetAngel users?
different schools are fine, but I believe you now owe us a post within a post :D
xitian

There were some good ones in this thread:

Nice gambling & trading quotes
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5381

No one's added to it in years which is a shame.

If I really must make a choice and put it inline, then it's gonna have to go to a quote by Jeff quoting Buffett. Jeff gets all the credit though :lol:
Ferru123 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am
“Take the probability of loss times the amount of possible loss from the probability of gain times the amount of possible gain. That is what we’re trying to do. It’s imperfect, but that’s what it’s all about."
Warren Buffett
LinusP

xitian wrote:
I'd disagree about that. I've used backtesting a lot. When used correctly it's very powerful and I'd say almost essential (at least for what I do).
+1

These two are a good read and related to a few discussions at the moment:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12099

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7109
Euler

xitian wrote:

BetAngel has no backtesting facility probably because of Peter's view, which is a shame I think. I suppose it's also partly because of data licensing issues. But I'm surprised BetAngel wouldn't be allow to have a facility to store market data for an individual's personal use. BetAngel as a business obviously can't sell or publish the data itself, but collecting data for personal use must be different. Anyone who has access to the API can store data, so why not individual BetAngel users?
It's mainly due to data license and compliance issues. IP is a tetchy area for those who have it.

We did have a product a long time ago that allowed you to collect data for personal use. Betfair banned it and it's been forgotten since then.
mobius

SITE REMOVED The perfect companion to Betangel............................. :shock:
Just checking who's awake.
Check out the site. It's Bulgarian and I suspect there has been a translation problem.
PW, you can pick yourself up off the floor now. It's just an agglomeration site for Bulgarian users. (Got a lumia off a pal and was loading up WillHill when this popped up maybe you should register the .co.uk before somebody else does).

Return to “General discussion”