Job Interview - In play Football Trader (Spreadbetting)

A place to discuss anything.
engsnayl

So I've got an interview for a job next week.

It's for an in-play football trader for a well known spread betting company.

Just wondered if anybody on here had any insider insight or could offer any tips or advice?

Cheers guys.
firlandsfarm

Sorry if this is well known to you but whenever you go for any meeting of any kind you should always think "what would I want if I was meeting me"! :)

If I wanted an experienced trader I would want to see history (and proof) of your trading ability (account summaries and lists of actual trades) and I would be asking you to explain your reasoning behind some of the trades. I would look at your top 20% of trades and the bottom 20% on the 80/20 principle. I might even compare your trading plan in certain matches with those of current traders. And if I were you I would want to know what their (profit) expectation of me would be, what their trading model is, how much of their money/freedom would I have, do i get to choose what I trade or is it assigned, what share of any profit I would get etc.

They may not be looking for someone too experienced or maybe not experienced at all because they would prefer to train from a low level rather than 'untrain' any bad habits you have and then re-train you! Does what you know about the position suggest what they want.

Good luck and regardless of outcome I would be interested in how they approach it, I have no wish to become a commercial trader myself but just interested in how the 'professionals' go about it. :)
wearthefoxhat

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 am

If I wanted an experienced trader I would want to see history (and proof) of your trading ability (account summaries and lists of actual trades) and I would be asking you to explain your reasoning behind some of the trades.

I might even compare your trading plan in certain matches with those of current traders.
Mind you, be careful not to give away all your best info as some recruiters use the interview process to gather information and then go away with fresh and innovative approaches for their own use.

A good awareness of what's out there and a willingness to train to improve (even though you may be already be successful). Cross refer the job description and give examples on how you would carry them out efficiently.

They have to impress you too, it's a two way street.

Good Luck
engsnayl

Thanks firlands, yeah this role is more of an entry level position as I understand it on a Part Time basis.

Basically I kind of wanted and needed a 2nd job so decided if that was to be the case it would be great if it was something I was actually interested in.

The JD talks more of creating and managing markets and recording data which I suppose would be straight forward enough.
ShaunWhite

If it's an entry level job then chances are there'll be lots of candidates that meet the basic skills requirement, although if you can demonstrate skills beyond their immediate need they might see as wider use for you.

I'm probably not typical but as someone who's done quite a lot of recruiting, I can tell you that for a junior job the skills you bring with you aren't especially important. I was more interested in them being enthusiastic, 'passionate' about the subject, friendly (but not overly familiar) and a quick learner. If you arrive with that then you'll be likely to learn what they actually want you to do and be productive nice and quickly.

Someone bright, keen and likely to fit in with the team are more important than knowing something you could be taught in 10 minutes.

... And polish your shoes, never does any harm and you'd be suprised how much it still matters to some people. I know wizkids are allowed to be a bit 'odd' these days but if you're looking for someone with an eye for detail, it's not a good sign if they can't dress themselves. Afterall you're representing their company, they don't especially want a scruffy wierdo hanging around in reception scaring the visitors.

Good luck though! Relax, smile, and thank them for seeing you. Btw the answer to the 'what do you want to do in 5 yrs' question is, I hope I'm still working for you and making a real difference to the company, don't say you want their job, it's cheesy and nobody wants to hire someone likely to be a backstabbing gold digger.
firlandsfarm

I agree with all that's been said and taking Shaun's point it's easy to dress down after you've made them a lot of money than it is to try and start dressed down. Remember an interview is your chance to make a first impression and the saying that you never get a second chance to do that maybe old but it will remain true forever! :)
to75ne

dont start sentences with "so", sounds awful. good luck
ShaunWhite

to75ne wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:44 pm
dont start sentences with "so", sounds awful. good luck
I thought it was just me that hated that. For an example, queue any interview with someone from social services on R4.
It's almost as bad as "yes, no...."

When you get the job and learn all the fancy inside secrets, don't forget who helped eh ;)
sa7med

I remember when I first graduated I had an interview with a bank as a currency trader. It was a multistage interview where they basically gave me math questions.

The first interview was written questions, which I was told on the spot that I outperformed everyone before me.

During the second interview question, i was asked a series of rapid simple math questions which I stumbled upon. I didn't end up getting the job and Im sure it was because I wasnt able to think on my feet.

I dont know if this will be relevant to your experience but I can see how important those mistakes were in retrospect and I personally wouldnt hire anyone to a quick-paced environment who couldnt demonstrate an ability to think on their feet. Hope that helps :D
Euler

Cards37

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:07 pm
Have a read of the following: -

https://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/2015/0 ... bookmaker/
That was intriguing!
engsnayl

Just an update on this....thanks again to everybody who game some advice, very much appreciated.

So they made me an offer but it's subject to FCA background checks.

My credit isn't great tbh so depending on how stringent they need to be on that side I'm not going to hold my breath.

The interview itself however went great, a really easy flowing discussion where it became obvious to both of us pretty quickly that I'd be bringing more than enough background knowledge and understanding of the mechanics of the business.
spreadbetting

Well done, did the job seem worth taking from your point of view?
engsnayl

Yeah definitely. I certainly hope I come through the vetting, I'm just keeping expectations in check until it's finalised.

Sounds really interesting, I think I could offer a lot for them as well as maybe see if it could turn into something more over time.

I've been investigating alternative options to my current 9-5 career for some time now so I'd see it as a very positive step into something that I'm extremely interested in.
spreadbetting

We're they looking at you taking a view with regard to the overall outcome of a game or simply looking to balance all probabilities equally. I saw an interview a while back with the Pinnacle guy and they were very much into taking a view and associated risk that went with it.

Return to “General discussion”