Living in London

A place to discuss anything.
Cards37

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:05 pm
Cards37 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 am
Over here we all scratch our heads at Brexit and it seems like the height of insanity - eclipsed only by the Americans electing Trump.
How would you feel if your government said ... Hey great news, we have decided to form an alliance with New Zealand, Polynesia (and others from the South Pacific), it going to be called The SPA. The SPA will be run in part by elected MP's from all countries and in part by Appointees of those countries. Each unelected Appointee will be given an area of government to manage and will set policy (so an unelected Samoan could be responsible for setting out Australia's agricultural policy). Also if an Australian Court gives a final ruling on a legal matter the losing party could appeal to unelected judges within The SPA who could overrule the Australian Court decision and reverse it. The SPA would also have the power to tell the Australian government what laws they have to enact and what laws they cannot enact. Australia will not be able to negotiate it's own trade agreements around the world, these will be negotiated by The SPA and will be binding upon Australia. ... now which is the height of insanity, Brexit or Australia giving away it's ability to govern itself?

As for Trump ... what has he done wrong?

Bandwagon jumping has become a fashionable pastime. If you are not on the latest fashionable bandwagon you are seen as a pariah and a Philistine
Nothing to do with bandwagon jumping, its about forming opinions on information available. I take your point on the "SPA" issue, that part of the argument is rarely highlighted here. However, to some extent, this has already happened. All our separate colonies federated in 1901 to become states and territories in one nation. The federal government now has exactly that power to tell states what to do (as set out in the constitution). I imagine in 1901 there were many people against it but 117 years later its a successful arrangement. It can and does happen successfully.

As for the Trump comment - where do I start?
firlandsfarm

Cards37 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 am
Nothing to do with bandwagon jumping
The UK is full of anti this, anti that bandwagon jumping ... and the media join in because they don't want to take a different line to their readers so it's self fuelling
Cards37 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 am
As for the Trump comment - where do I start?
This is one of the most popular bandwagons ... Trump is criticised here for doing what he said he would do and what he was elected to do ... and yet they complain when a politician breaks electioneering promises. They only want politicians to tell the truth if it's their kind of truth! And some of the criticism is so biased it's unbelieveable. He is criticised for doing what Obama was applauded for saying they should do, he is criticised for what Clinton (Bill) was applauded for saying they should do! That's bandwagon jumping ... Trump said it so I must be the first to criticise him.

Taking your historical thoughts on my imaginary SPA ... your 'states' formed into a country (as did the tribes form states/counties/provences before that and they also went on to form countries) and now the EU is forming the countries into a single governed continent and regional trade agreements around the world are following suit. Slowly slowly catchee monkey, you bring countries under a single governement first by starting with a trade agreement and then moving on to saying "to make this work better we need a central controlling administration" (the EU have done it). So why stop there, why not have a world controlling administration ... total world domination!
Trader Pat

This thread is a fascinating but scary read at the same time :shock:
SeaHorseRacing

Seems I’m not the only one...
invisiblelayer

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am

London is full of Mosques, it has a Muslim Mayor, and many don't like the way the city is descending into becoming something akin to Pakistan
Birmingham is also sadly full of mosques (some of which were Christian Churches!!!) and many parts of Birmingham are also like a street scene in Pakistan - no-go for Police after dark, no-go for traffic wardens too so cars parked all over double-yellows, all the women dressed like letter boxes and stares if you dare drive there as a white man, let alone walk there! I had a female colleague SPAT AT by a Muslim man (of which the entire neighbourhood of Sparkhill and Bordesley Green are full).

I feel very strong anger at what successive governments have done / allowed to happen with all the literally thousands of child abuse cases, which no-one dare challenge (in case of accusations of racism) as it's overwhelmingly Pakistanis committing the crimes.

The litter on the streets and abandoned bedding / furniture in the gardens or right outside the door, etc etc. No wonder there is no social cohesion as these people simply do not share our standards or values, unlike most Sikhs or Hindus and Indians generally, who seem to try to fit in and not insist that THEIR rights trump those of the Christians that built this green and pleasant land.That seems an exclusive characteristic of just one religion - Islam.

CS
Some right slum area's in Brum where its predominately Muslims, few years ago had to travel through near the Winson Green prison area on our way to pick up a pup. Literally like we'd just been transported into some third world war torn sh1thole, just an absolute shambles everywhere.
BetScalper

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done now. In 20 years time the UK will be completely unrecognizable. Hopefully I won't be around to see it.
Derek27

Travelling back from London now. Pleasant journey down, enjoyed my two days in South London, and a pleasant journey back.

The only thing that really irritates me when I'm standing outside a major railway station in London is that in the time it takes me to smoke a cigarette about five people will ask if I have a "spare" one, as if I deliberately buy twice as many as I need so I can share them. But it's not Muslims, people of all creeds and colour do this, just as rape and all other crimes are committed everywhere and by all kinds of people.

Clearly most of you who have posted to this thread see things from a very different angle. I don't think the fact that I'm of Asian origin has anything to do with it because most white people I know in London don't have any issues living there and couldn't care less what religion their neighbours are!
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:19 pm
The only thing that really irritates me when I'm standing outside a major railway station in London is that in the time it takes me to smoke a cigarette about five people will ask if I have a "spare" one, as if I deliberately buy twice as many as I need so I can share them
Lol, that's the first thing I noticed about London when I moved here from oop north in the early 90's. Couldn't understand why every time you'd light up a cigarette outside someone wanted to beg one off you as it never happened up north at that time :)
BetScalper

I remember buying a pack of cigs for 56p. Now they cost me £10.50.

Inflation!!!!!

If someone asks me for one now I say yes, £1 please. They normally mutter something and walk away.

:)
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Clearly most of you who have posted to this thread see things from a very different angle. I don't think the fact that I'm of Asian origin has anything to do with it because most white people I know in London don't have any issues living there and couldn't care less what religion their neighbours are!
I've kept schtum until now because everyone is entitled to an opinion ....

I had 25 very happy years in London, in beautiful sunny Croydon mainly, epicentre for everyone new who arrives. I knew nice people and complete shits of every colour and creed. It worked because it was a real mixture, various economic and cultural reasons lead to ghettoisation and that's what bothers people and that's understandable. It's the same story now I live of near Bostonski, high density of one type of immigrants, and locals obvioulsy scared of losing their tradiations, but very very few locals actually have a problem with individual 'foreigners', like the ones who stayed here after the war and fitted in.

btw racism isn't a white only thing, we're actually some of the most accepting, every race seemed to have someone else that especially bothered them. To be honest my black friends were the worst, Indians we're their bugbear.

Given a choice I'd have a cultural revolution and ban all religion, or just the Abrahmic ones, all as bad as each other in the wrong hands. Even in the 21st century we've got to tiptoe round the bloody Catholics and Protestants in Ireland about the border because we're scared of their bombings and executions, which the older guys here will remember well.

But as we can't do much about it, Taoism seems to be the best option. Make the most of whatever way the wind blows you.
ShaunWhite

BetScalper wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 pm
I remember buying a pack of cigs for 56p.
Happy days, 10 Embassy for 20p, bag of chips 10p. That said my paper round only paid £1.20 a week so it's all relative.
BetScalper

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I've kept schtum until now because everyone is entitled to an opinion ....

I had 25 very happy years in London, in beautiful sunny Croydon mainly, epicentre for everyone new who arrives. I knew nice people and complete shits of every colour and creed. It worked because it was a real mixture, various economic and cultural reasons lead to ghettoisation and that's what bothers people and that's understandable. It's the same story now I live of near Bostonski, high density of one type of immigrants, and locals obvioulsy scared of losing their tradiations, but very very few locals actually have a problem with individual 'foreigners', like the ones who stayed here after the war and fitted in.

btw racism isn't a white only thing, we're actually some of the most accepting, every race seemed to have someone else that especially bothered them. To be honest my black friends were the worst, Indians we're their bugbear.

Given a choice I'd have a cultural revolution and ban all religion, or just the Abrahmic ones, all as bad as each other in the wrong hands. Even in the 21st century we've got to tiptoe round the bloody Catholics and Protestants in Ireland about the border because we're scared of their bombings and executions, which the older guys here will remember well.

But as we can't do much about it, Taoism seems to be the best option. Make the most of whatever way the wind blows you.
I think everyone is playing up the Northern Ireland issue. Times have changed and surveillance technique's certainly have since I served there.

Back then everyone and their dog knew who the ring leaders were but they hid across the border and there was an agreement that we wouldn't go and get them. Although I do believe on a few occasions a certain unit did cross over and shoot a few unofficially, which was blamed on a loyalist group.
Emmson

Noteworthy how this thread attracts posts the way most other sports trading threads do not despite it being a sports trading forum. Not chiming in myself because I'm fully aware of how things can turn nasty when politics are discussed on here.
Trader Pat

Emmson wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:27 pm
Not chiming in myself because I'm fully aware of how things can turn nasty when politics are discussed on here.
Very wise
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:17 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 pm
I remember buying a pack of cigs for 56p.
Happy days, 10 Embassy for 20p, bag of chips 10p. That said my paper round only paid £1.20 a week so it's all relative.
10 Sovereign, nine-and-a-half pence!

Return to “General discussion”