New Computer / Server

A place to discuss anything.
jonedelman

Hi all

I have a question which hopefully someone else has experienced somewhere along the line. I have a strategy that I run through Excel linked into Bet Angel. The strategy constantly updates markets every 500ms etc so it takes up fair bit of computer power .... and Excel basically cannot be used for any other task while it's running...

So I'd like to put this on a different computer to run in the background - which would allow me to do/work on other things - and use Excel without it constantly flicking / crashing

What is the best way to do this ?? Should I buy a new computer and try and somehow link it to my screens/keyboard/mouse so I can switch between computers? Or is there some sort of online server / or a sort of "desktop within a desktop" , like a virtual PC , that I can run from my current machine ?

If anyone here has any experience / IT advice I would be most grateful !!

Thanks
spreadbetting

I'd be more inclined to see why running excel seems to lock up your PC and try to optimise your code than looking at extra PC's. If it's so data intensive maybe look utside of excel as it doesn't appear to be the best option for what you may be doing.
rbb1986

I use a VPS (virtual private server) that I pay monthly for. I think there will be many companies offering the same, but I use a company called 'Bettingdev', who were the designers of two bots that I use/have used in the past.
I Initially just used the VPS to run the bots, but it didn't take long to realise manual trading was more efficient using that also.
It's nearly £30 per month, but I've always found it very reliable. Much better than using my own (£400) laptop. It also means you have access through 'Remote desktop' programs/apps when you're out and about.
A high end dedicated PC set up with multiple screens at home is my end goal (probably for when I make the jump to full time). But other than the price per month, I can't see a negative to having a dedicated virtual server (VPS).

Return to “General discussion”