RPR

A place to discuss anything.
danny74danny

Hi all,

Anybody knows why racing post ratings do change after race? I take notes of horses I'm interesting in and when horse is running next time I do check previous ratings and they don't match with my notes every rpr is lower few weeks after than it was on the day of race. So why is that? Thanks
Euler

I'm not familiar with ratings but I'd imagine all ratings would change after a race to reflect how a horse ran in that race?
Derek27

danny74danny wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:47 am
Hi all,

Anybody knows why racing post ratings do change after race? I take notes of horses I'm interesting in and when horse is running next time I do check previous ratings and they don't match with my notes every rpr is lower few weeks after than it was on the day of race. So why is that? Thanks
When a handicapper assesses a race that's been run, it's easy to assess the horses in relation to other horses in the race, but assessing the quality of the race and how high to rate the winner is much harder and will not always be precise. After a few of those horses have run again the handicapper will have more information and depending on how well they've performed in subsequent races the handicapper may upgrade or downgrade the original race. This is particularly common in maiden races where there is little previous form to go on.
danny74danny

thanks, is there any way to find out original rpr allocated to horse before race because what I'm interested in is how the horse performed with this rpr not changed afterwards or it just has to be me keeping notes
SeaHorseRacing

Contact RP direct..

Your just confusing a predicted rp rating for a future race to there actual rating achecived after the race.

Imo rp rating are the worst rating out there and I never used to think so but OR ratings are far better.
danny74danny

thanks, some people say rpr is the best so probably will have to find out myself which one to trust
Euler

The BHA produce a downloadable list of ratings which I have used when studying ratings

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/regu ... -database/
Derek27

I reckon Timeform are easily the best, they're also statistically adjusted each season but they're not free.

Return to “General discussion”