Professional trader?

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

My go to reply to the job question seems to have settled into 'oh I'm just one of those boring types who sit at home and makes money on their computer". If they want to know more they'll get more, but tbh when most people ask what job you do they rarely actually care. It's just a conversational tick.

The other variety of "The job question" is a peculiarly male phenomenon, it's basically a primitive instinct to establish social rank. Women don't seem to ask people about jobs in the first 10s like men often do. If I sense it's one of those types of people I'm deliberately obtuse and evasive, "I've got lots of business interests" is the nearest they'll get and to be fair that's probably the most accurate description anyway. People with class usually downplay what they do, it's the wannabes that want to sound special.
PDC

Off topic some what but one thing I nearly always find when people do ask a bit more about what I do is that they always ask how much money I make doing it. People seem fine to ask how much I make because of what I do but wouldn't dream of asking anyone in a 'normal' job how much they make.

Do others find this happens?

My stock reply is, how much do you make and I will tell you if it is higher or lower than that, I have never had someone answer me with how much they make.

Just seems peculiar that people think it is fine to ask but would never dream of doing so normally.
Naffman

Agreed PDC, I just say 'enough' and it ends there
george

Well personally i do not consider trading gambling in any way , gamblers wishing for good luck but traders dont need luck they just follow a pattern that works and doing the same thing over and over again doesnt matter the individual result of the market u trade as long as at the end of the day the end of the week, the end of the month or the end of the year u are in profit , its just a skill that some people get it and some dont.

trading sports its a job and a very rewarding one if u ask me
spreadbetting

PDC wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am
Off topic some what but one thing I nearly always find when people do ask a bit more about what I do is that they always ask how much money I make doing it. People seem fine to ask how much I make because of what I do but wouldn't dream of asking anyone in a 'normal' job how much they make.

My stock reply is, how much do you make and I will tell you if it is higher or lower than that, I have never had someone answer me with how much they make.

Just seems peculiar that people think it is fine to ask but would never dream of doing so normally.
Can't blame people for being inquisitive , it's not like a normal profession where you could make a decent guess to how much a bus driver, doctor etc earns . Even I'd like to know what income I need to move from being a full time trader to pro trader.
Derek27

PDC wrote:

Just a couple of times. It would be understandable if you said you successfully gamble as a hobby for somebody to inquire how much you make (the stereotypical gambler boasts about his winnings) but it's outrageous to ask anyone how much they make for a living, whatever they're doing.
Derek27

george wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:14 pm
Well personally i do not consider trading gambling in any way , gamblers wishing for good luck but traders dont need luck ...
You're way off the mark George. Betting is all about judging what chance a horse has so you can spot the overpriced horses, thus, they rely on good judgement rather than luck, although this is a very well worn discussion on here.
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 pm
PDC wrote:

Just a couple of times. It would be understandable if you said you successfully gamble as a hobby for somebody to inquire how much you make (the stereotypical gambler boasts about his winnings) but it's outrageous to ask anyone how much they make for a living, whatever they're doing.
this reminds me of the story from many years ago when a sex worker claimed for loss of earnings after doing jury service for 10 days. she claimed that she'd lost £4k in earnings. the swift minded judge said, no problem, just send me last years' tax return and we'll pro rate your losses...

apparently, that ended the matter there and then.
Derek27

Have to admire her bottle, to say that to a judge. :)
weemac

Maybe she wasn't a "professional".
jimibt

weemac wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm
i'm certain she certainly wasn't one to visit the confessional :D
3virgul14

I think being a pro means people look up to you most of the time, you have an influence circle, you can inspire others and maybe show an example how to do etc..

Otherwise, as a full time sports trader I call myself pro because this is my profession, I have established a company dealing with sports trading and at some point I had people working for me to get better in trading.

Believe it or not, some aspects of trading requires more than one man, the technical advance, data collection, statistics, office management , nutrition etc are crucial if you look forward to do this till you retire. Matter of vision and all these really matters imho.
Trader Pat

jimibt wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm
weemac wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm
i'm certain she certainly wasn't one to visit the confessional :D
Ya never know... she might have been invited into the confessional by a randy priest
JTEDL

How about 'semi pro'?

As saw something yesterday with claim - 'former matched bettor, now semi pro football trader'

I can only assume, has a paid job and also trades?
jimibt

JTEDL wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm
How about 'semi pro'?

As saw something yesterday with claim - 'former matched bettor, now semi pro football trader'

I can only assume, has a paid job and also trades?
... OR, he only get's it right half the time :D

in seriousness tho, why not just *football trader*, or *now trading football*

Return to “General discussion”