FAO tech guys - what is the minimum mbps a trader requires for safe trading?

A place to discuss anything.
arbitrage16

I trade in-running horses on a connection I tested that gives me 17mbps down, 1.7 up, which is, as they say, pony, but as I look to travel with my trading endeavours, would be interested to know what the minimum connection speed would be when in-running to keep things at a decent level.

I suppose another issue is if/how often a connection drops, but I presume there isn't a metric for that?

For dropped connections my hope is there is a dongle I can buy that has data loaded onto it, which will switch over automatically if/when the wifi drops out - does such a thing exist?
Last edited by arbitrage16 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreadbetting

More about ping speeds than bandwidth as the size of the price data you receive is usually very small so 17mbps should easily cover your needs. Obviously if you start dropping in video feeds and other heavy browsing you might need more. I trade from a 20mb line as there's no fibre in my area :-(
iambic_pentameter

From the travel perspective - as per your other thread, OP, I would have thought using a VPS would be the best option?

Iambic
eightbo

Nice one OP, I'm looking to be travelling around by next year, you got any destinations / planning in mind yet? Figured I'd hop about on Airbnb.

You'll want to list everything you use your internet connection for currently whilst trading to get an appropriate answer but as an example 20ms price data is probs <1.5Mbps * number of concurrent markets (just a guess, could find a good estimate by monitoring network activity when running BA in isolation) plus say, 1.6Mbps for 360p 30fps Betfair live video stream (other resolutions and frame rates here) plus another couple Mbps for background services and web browsing (may need more for videos), consider other devices you might have on the connection too, plus a few Mbps 'buffer' to keep things running smoothly. If you're trading 1 market at a time manually with bf livevid that'd be 1.5+1.6+2+3 = 8.1Mbps. More buffer the better but using 3 here as 8Mbps is a common broadband speed and probs the minimum you can get away with.

VPS will make things longer if you're manually trading as it makes the round trip longer but perfect for automation.

Ping delay can only negatively impact your result. I would strongly advie testing on your current setup by trading using a network emulator such as http://wanem.sourceforge.net to artificially add delay to simulate if you were in a different location. Bf's servers are in Ireland so to get you started a 15Mbps+ UK fibre line would be around 15ms, UK broadband 8Mpbs ~35ms, worst case EU fibre ~70ms, worst case EU broadband ~110ms, worst case ASIA fibre ~350ms, worst case ASIA broadband ~450ms.

Again just estimates here but 450ms is 0.45s so if you're trading markets with 1s delay it'll impact more than if you trade markets with 3s delay (think percentages).

Do some research into 5g -- these sorts of concerns will soon be a thing of the past.

P.s. think you meant 17down, 1.7up.
Euler

I've traded from the side of a mountain once on a 3G network via a VPS. So if you are travelling then a VPS is a must as it covers off the need for a really high speed connection.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:47 pm
I've traded from the side of a mountain once on a 3G network via a VPS. So if you are travelling then a VPS is a must as it covers off the need for a really high speed connection.
+1 - no matter how many times this question is asked, that is my *go to* response also. why wouldn't you. i've done this using just an amazon fire8 via RDP on my VPS, all on 3g.
arbitrage16

eightbo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:15 pm
Nice one OP, I'm looking to be travelling around by next year, you got any destinations / planning in mind yet? Figured I'd hop about on Airbnb.
Yep, I have a few requirements, namely proximity to a surf or kite surfing spot, so I am looking at southern Spain, and eventually Mexico. But I'll also be doing some extended trips in Asia as have always wanted to live in Tokyo. How about you?

Airbnb is useful for the short term, but the decent properties at good rates need to be procured once on the ground.

I suppose the internet speed doesn't actually matter in this situation - I'll try to source the fastest connection I can, if it works that's great I can trade, and if not I'll move somewhere else, a beauty of the life really.
ShaunWhite

arbitrage16 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:42 am

a beauty of the life really.
...and of not having responsibilities or commitments, or family to take care of etc. :roll:
Enjoy it while you're young and if you can't get an internet connection, barwork and busking is the std way to fund travelling :)

Return to “General discussion”