Motivation from other Trader's blogs and P&Ls.

A place to discuss anything.
Melsey

I meant to post this on the Cheltenham thread but after a hectic last week I didn't get a chance.

I have always been motivated by other Trader's P&Ls, in fact that is what got me interested in Sports Trading. In the early days I used to look at them wondering how it was possible to achieve some of the amounts made by others but was determined to crack pre-race trading on the horses, which eventually after a very long road I did.

However one Trader's post had a big effect on my weeks Trading.

On Tuesday last week I had a slow start on the first race but pulled off what I felt was a near perfect trade (for me...) on Trifolium and Champagne Fever in the 14:05 greening up Pre the off for £687.50. I then saw that Mugsgame had posted a near £800 green up shot on the first page of the Cheltenham 2014 post.

This had a big effect on me... It motivated me to really put my foot down whenever I got a good footing in a trade, and it had a huge effect on my Cheltenham week... and took me to the next level up in the Big meeting stakes as I had always done well in big meetings but things just seemed to fall in to place for me.

My trades continued through the week to pull in decent amounts and I was even able to pull a really good result on that manic second day at Cheltenham on the crazy move on Dawalan in the 16:40. Funnily enough I was most impressed with my self control at not leaving a little amount inplay to try and break the 4 figure barrier... Inplay for me is a complete no-no....

Anyway the week continued very well finished off with a nice trade to finish off in the Gold Cup.

So a big thank you to Mugsgame! And to all those who have motivated me in the past by posting their P&Ls...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Well done, you probably did better than mugs looking at those images.

Maybe I should have posted a few more on the Cheltenham thread, rather than the blog! I'm glad to see that seeing others results has had a +ve effect for you. Lots of people complain about the opposite most of the time.
LeTiss

Congratulations Melsey, that's a staggering effort
mugsgame

Top work - Pissed all over me :)
PeterLe

awesome results! I dont think many of the full time pros can pull results out like that! I'm ecstatic when I get a three fig green!
It has always been a bit of a no no showing P&L's on here. Im all for it as it just serves to motivate me.
Melsey

Thanks Guys...

I have always found this forum full of very good views and opinions... and there are clearly some very clever people on here. I have said before that I should post more on here as I have always been a bit of a "lurker"... Actually that sounds a bit dodgy! Although with other responsibilities and a very young family I don't have a great deal of time...

If it hadn't been for Peter, Andy and Adams' blogs I probably wouldn't have worked as hard as I have to crack the pre race markets. And I apologise if my screenshots cause any offence... But as PeterLe mentioned I have always found other peoples P&Ls very motivational... and there is very little information out there regarding Sports Trading.

One thing that did make me smile though is at the end of the week I reread the Cheltenham posts and realised that Mugsgame's truly great result was partly down to inplay (I take my hat off to inplay traders) where I had perceived it was all prerace, which may I add, doesn't detract from a great effort and trade. But it got me thinking about how we perceive/believe in what is possible.

I must also mention that my screen grab on my computer wasn't working so I had to log off my VPS and re login with my iPad, hence why the screenshots are a bit slapdash and also I really should have posted screen grabs of 2 of my bigger losses of around the £200 Mark! But it's funny that, and I'm not the the only one I'm sure, but we want to record our better trades and I couldn't be bothered to log off and back in again.

Next time I will...

Thanks again for your generous comments...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

It's important to get recognition for success otherwise what's the point in being successful!
andyfuller

Well done and cheers for the mention, glad someone found the blog useful :)

Some great results, I am all for people showing what is possible, though I agree with Peter that often it can attract negative comments. I am guilty of that myself in my very early days, mainly because I was doing rubbish and so looked to rubbish those that were doing well. I think that is a very British mindset and a very poor one to have.

I think if it were in America such success would be much better received.

I would urge people to see such postings with a positive mindset about what can be achieved and not what you personally currently can't achieve.
marko236

Well done Melsey,

Nearly all of us can only dream about making that kind of money.

You said it was a long road to get where you are, was it a quick move to making large amounts of money or was it a gradual increase over a long time?
Wainwright

Definitely works as an inspiration for me - thanks for posting & well done !!
Melsey

It was a gradual increase over time... making all the usual mistakes along the way, losing banks, going inplay, chasing losses, trading with too big a bank for my experience levels... Oh if only I had listened more to the advice here, it would have made for a far smoother path and a lot less heartache..!

Initially I just wanted to get to a stage of greening up £10 on a trade, and from there it went to £20/£30/£40 until I had the magic 3 figure green in my sights.

Took just under 2 years (part time, but never missing an opportunity to participate - numerous burnt suppers while trying to trade and cook at the same time, much to the annoyance of my wife) to be able to consistently know that each day I was going to end up with at Least one or more £100+ trades.

However Cheltenham and Ascot are very different markets compared to day to day trading. I remember being really disappointed with my results over those 2 weeks when I was 2 years in. I got nowhere near the results I wanted and as a result had to rethink my trading approach just for those 9 days and the odd other big race. However one thing I do the same no matter whether it's Cheltenham or a quiet Monday, is that I am always prodding the market with small stakes to get a feel for what is going on before I start to ramp up my stakes/exposure.

But I can assure you that it can be done, it just depends on how badly you want it and how much time and effort you are willing to put in to achieving the goals you set yourself. I was a newbie looking at other Pro Traders blogs wondering how on earth you could get some of the results they achieved but I knew it must be possible and that I had to crack it. I just perceivered.

One piece of advice I would give though is to concentrate on the day to day trading, the big meets are the icing on the cake to boost your yearly totals. Don't be disappointed in the early days of trading the big meetings. If you are making good progress on the day to day trading, what you need to do to your own trading style during the bigger meets will come intuitively as will the bigger results.
herbie

well done Melsey..good results..good inspiration :D
andyfuller

You did well last week but not as good as this guy:

Neil Trotter named £108m Euromillions lottery winner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26627075

Can you imagine the feeling he must have had as he realised he had won :o
Groovyelms

andyfuller wrote:You did well last week but not as good as this guy:

Neil Trotter named £108m Euromillions lottery winner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26627075

Can you imagine the feeling he must have had as he realised he had won :o
yes he must feel amazing but I'd rather see 20 winners of 5 million euros that will do every one some good, i reckon this guy will just piss it away on fast cars and a very expensive divorce... my opion only of course ;)
PeterLe

I laughed when i saw that picture..
It looks like his girlfriend has her hand on his wallet! :D

Edit: Sorry, it looks like they changed the picture from earlier..!

Return to “General discussion”