Motivation from other Trader's blogs and P&Ls.

A place to discuss anything.
ArticalBadboy

PeterLe wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm
Two rules per horse - four conditions..
then i have a green rule and a switch to this market rule too
Hi Peter, hope you are well.

Can I ask a few questions please?

1. Do you mean you have two rules for selection1, two for selection2 etc, and thus smaller field races you have rules that would never fire?
I am never sure whether to go for a 'lay the field type rule' to have one rule for all horses, or rules for each selection which I assume retain more control (especially if I definitely only want one bet per selection)

2. How many bets are you firing for each market/selection?
I have a working strategy but it uses a lot of bets, and on a busy Saturday's racing, I'm skirting dangerously close to accruing betfair transaction charges!

3. Why have a 'switch to the market rule' if guardian can do that for you without a rule?

Thanks for any advise you can give a noob!
Naffman

There's not usually to many conditions races about, usually 1 a meeting if that but obviously there were a lot of them yesterday at Lingfield.

I don't do maidens or many 2yo races due to the volatility and I don't think anything will get me doing them again haha :)
Euler

On this day in 2012 everything went right on the Aussie racing. I'm guessing some bot owner woke up with a nasty loss!
120428 - AUS - Record day - Copy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trader44

guys just to say this am halfway through this thread its very inspiring ,thanks for posting :D
Euler

2017-06-03_16-36-09 - Copy.png
2017-06-03_16-36-00 - Copy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MemphisFlash

Got to be please with that, well done Peter
Euler

Thought I was on for the grand, but left it too late to get out. They loaded so quickly I had to dump positions.
SportBilly

A brief background:
My trading journey started a round a year ago and generally speaking it's been very tough. The enormous amount of hours I'd invested in my research, learning, psychology and strategies was not bearing fruit and I was not in profit, tough to take when you put in a lot of effort. The markets I was trading were racing and football. However, this part of the experience is not wasted as it was telling me what I was not good at!
So I ditched the horse racing (no success, pre-off and automation) and football (moderate success) and started to concentrate on Cricket and Tennis.
I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything and I'm still on my journey but I have had a solid last 3 months and it's given me hope that I can be successful.
Here is my IPL progress, 47 matches traded, 74% strike-rate (I know I can do better, some really silly mistakes in there as well), and last 2 days P&L.
Hope you find it useful. Keep moving forward.
BA1.JPG
BA2.JPG
Bluesky

Great results on the cricket well done SportBilly, I hope it continues for you.
SportBilly

Thanks Bluesky. Not in the same league as Megarain (see page 20 of this thread). Now that's motivation :D
trader44

nice results peter and sportsbilly ..
sportsbilly do you know much about cricket or is it just the prices you trade
SportBilly

I've come to trading later in life but I've always been sports mad and have watched and played a lot of sport over the years.

I've played cricket for a long time locally (more from a social aspect) and also followed it for years, and take in a few live games a season. I would say I have a reasonable above average knowledge of the game, teams, players and tactics etc.

I have had to make sure that I arm myself with stats though (cricket is awash with them) as this gives me the confidence to enter a trade or not based on my reading of the game.
trader44

ok cheers billy ,i am in running on the horses but am wanting to explore other sports :D
Samo154

PeterLe wrote:
Sorry to bump an old post but wondering if you just fix the market or set up rules for each horse?
PeterLe

Samo154 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:40 pm
PeterLe wrote:
Sorry to bump an old post but wondering if you just fix the market or set up rules for each horse?
Hi Samo
I’m not actually running that strategy at the moment, but in general i just set up the markets in a morning with a common strategy, more than one account but with slightly different criteria.
Working in something completely new at the moment but on hols out of the country till next week, but can’t wait to try it out.
I don’t know about other long term traders, but I find most of my strategies to date are just variations of a theme.
Regards
Peter

Return to “General discussion”